Ecommerce Sector Scorecard - Thematic Research
Competition in ecommerce is increasingly becoming a straight fight between the US and China, with a handful of tech behemoths dominating the market and amassing huge troves of user data. As markets in Western countries become saturated, the ecommerce giants will be rushing to grab market share in the emerging digital economies, with India and Africa as the primary battlegrounds. In 2020 the internet super-monopolies’ plans for expansion might be thwarted by regulatory headwinds in the form of increased scrutiny of their antitrust and data privacy practices. All eyes will be on the European Union’s investigation of Amazon, which could set an important precedent in regulating ecommerce platforms’ dual role as both marketplace and retailer.
This report provides information on key themes that will impact the ecommerce sector over the next two years, including internet super-monopolies, mobile payments, social media, conversational platforms, AR, and data privacy.
Reasons to buy
- This report is a sector scorecard, which identifies those companies most likely to succeed in a world filled with disruptive threats. Inside, we predict how each theme will evolve and identify the leading and lagging companies.
- It includes a theme map that shows the 50 biggest themes driving growth in the ecommerce sector.
- It explains how some of the largest listed players in the sector have performed over the last three years.
- It looks at major technology and macro-economic trends impacting ecommerce companies.
- Companies who invest in the right themes become success stories; those who miss the big themes end up as failures. Corporate executives and investors who want to outperform their competitors need to understand all the themes that impact their sector.
- However, many of these themes are, by definition, outside of the core competencies of company boardrooms because they typically originate from external industries.
- This ecommerce sector scorecard provides a top-down, comprehensive outlook for the key players in the industry over the next two years, based on the key themes set to transform their market.
- Theme map
- Table Figure 1: Our theme map shows the 50 biggest themes driving growth in the tech, media, and telecoms sector
- Sector performance
- Table Figure 2: Since the beginning of 2017, application software, security software, and cloud services companies have outperformed whilst traditional advertisers and telecom operators have underperformed
- Company performance
- Table Figure 3: Price momentum of the big players in the sector
- Technology trends
- Macroeconomic trends
- Table Macroeconomic trends
- Regulatory trends
- Sector scorecard: ecommerce
- Who's who
- Table Figure 4: Who's who
- Thematic screen
- Table Figure 5: Thematic screen
- Valuation screen
- Table Figure 6: Valuation screen
- Risk screen
- Table Figure 7: Risk screen
- Appendix: Our thematic research methodology
- Viewing the world's data by themes makes it easier to make important decisions
- Traditional research does a poor job of picking winners and losers
- That is why we developed our "thematic engine"
- How do we create our sector scorecards?
- Table Figure 8: Our five-step approach for generating a sector scorecard
- What is in our sector scorecards?
- How do we score companies in our thematic screen?
- How our research reports fit into our overall thematic research ecosystem
- About GlobalData
- Contact us