Ecommerce Landscape in the Americas: Drivers, Market Players, and Telcos’ Role
Increased internet connectivity and the proliferation of alternative payment methods are two important factors driving ecommerce adoption in the Americas, particularly in less developed markets. Ecommerce activities can be categorized in various forms although the most common one looks at the business-consumer flow. From this perspective, B2C ecommerce has become the most common type. It is estimated that ecommerce (B2C) transactions in US and Canada generated a combined $875.4 billion in 2018, making them the largest ecommerce market in the Americas. Brazil ranks in a distant third position, followed by Mexico.
Telecom operators in the Americas have been key enablers in this process by providing mobile connectivity services and stimulating the use of connected devices such as smartphones. While a number of telcos have also launched alternative mobile payment platforms, their impact on ecommerce activities has so far been modest. Despite telcos’ role in the Americas’ ecommerce value chain being limited so far, a number of opportunities in areas such as big data and artificial intelligence (ai) have emerged over the last several years.
The report Ecommerce Landscape in the Americas: Drivers, Market Players, and Telcos’ Role, looks at the ecommerce market landscape in the Americas, examining the main growth drivers and players operating in it. A special attention is put on understanding the role that telcos play in the ecommerce value chain. This report also includes a brief definition and categorization of the main types of ecommerce, as well as market insights for the largest markets in the region. Finally, we include two case studies: one an example of a telco’s ecommerce service offering and one analyzing the business model adopted by one of the largest ecommerce players in Latin America.
The report provides in-depth analysis of the following -
- Section 1: Definition and ecommerce market context in the Americas: provides a general overview, looking at key market insights and growth trends and providing an overview of the main ecommerce players in the region. This section also analyzes in detail the main growth drivers, and examines the role that telecom operators play in the ecommerce value chain
- Section 2: Case studies; includes two case studies on key ecommerce players: one describing the business model adopted by one of the largest online marketplaces in Latin America, and the other one analyzing a telco’s ecommerce B2B services offering in North America
Alibaba, Amazon, America Movil, AT&T, Ebay, Mercado Libre, OXXO, Telefonica, TelcelScope
Reasons to buy
- GlobalData estimates that ecommerce (B2C) transactions in US and Canada generated a combined $875.4 billion in 2018, making them the largest ecommerce market in the Americas. Brazil ranks in a distant third position, followed by Mexico.
- Increased internet connectivity and the proliferation of alternative payment methods are two important factors driving ecommerce adoption in the Americas, particularly in less developed markets.
- Telcos in the Americas are positioning themselves as key technology enablers through the development of one-stop-shops for online retailers, offering a wide range of services supporting and enabling ecommerce activities, ranging from connectivity, payment solutions, web hosting, and cloud.
- The advent of big data and AI represents an interesting growth area for telcos, as they have access to large amounts of data from telecom service users.
- This Insider Report provides a comprehensive examination of the main trends taking place in the Americas ecommerce market, helping executives fully understand market dynamics, determine what works and what doesn’t, formulate effective product development plans, and optimize resource allocation and return on investment.
- The report includes examples on strategies adopted by ecommerce players that illustrate the findings of the report; this will help the reader understand both the challenges confronted in the real world and the strategies employed to overcome those challenges.
- With more than ten exhibits, the report is designed for an executive-level audience, to help to understand the ecommerce market, analyzing key trends, and strategies.
- Executive summary
- Section 1: Definition and ecommerce market context in the Americas
- Ecommerce definition and trends
- Ecommerce market drivers
- Key ecommerce players
- Telcos’ role in the ecommerce value chain
- Section 2: Case studies
- AT&T - US
- Mercado Libre - regional
- Section 3: Key findings and recommendations