Directed Energy Weapons (Defense) - Thematic Research
In the past two decades, military use of directed energy technologies has quickly matured from the research laboratory to the operational force. Lasers have become highly effective instruments of military operations.
Directed energy weapons (DEWs) could provide a number of capabilities and advantages over traditional weapons due to their speed-of-light delivery, precision engagement, controlled/scalable effects, logistical benefits, and low cost per shot. Furthermore, DEWs are silent, offer plausible deniability, can travel immense distances relative to conventional weapons, and engage multiple targets. Consequently, these advantages will support the development of a wide spectrum of military equipment and capabilities.
Although DEW systems have the potential to be used for offensive purposes, currently, weapons development programs are mainly focused on defense systems.
This report focuses on DEWs, which have immense potential to revolutionize warfare in the long term. Currently, DEWs can be categorized as high energy laser weapons, particle beam weapons, high energy microwave weapons, and high power sonic/acoustic weapons.
Directed Energy Weapons (DEWs) thematic research offers a detailed analysis of DEWs being developed and used by militaries and constabulary forces. The research includes insightful industry analysis of the DEWs and key use cases highlighting how militaries and constabulary forces around the world have started working on the development and implementation of the technology.
Reasons to Buy
- DEW systems have started to be used alongside conventional weapons in combat areas, although they are not fully operational and there are still problems that need to be overcome. However, the operational potential of these weapons is compelling countries to review their defense concepts.
- DEW has potential to be used in the destruction or neutralization of ballistic missiles, rockets, UAVs, swarm crafts, land mines and IEDs, neutralization of the enemy's electronic warfare capabilities, and temporary or permanent incapacitation of enemy troops or terrorist elements, protection of critical facilities, and air, sea and land vehicles and platforms as well as non-lethal applications such as crowd control or disabling machinery.
- DEWs, if successfully developed and deployed, have immense potential to be revolutionary in the long future. The evidence indicates that directed-energy will soon become one of the most powerful technologies for success on the battlefield and will eventually replace many existing forms of weaponry.
- Our thematic investment research product, supported by our thematic engine, is aimed at senior (C-Suite) executives in the corporate world as well as institutional investors.
- Corporations: Helps CEOs in all industries understand the disruptive threats to their competitive landscape.
- Investors: Helps fund managers focus their time on the most exciting investment opportunities in global Aerospace & Defense.
- Whilst most investment research is underpinned by backwards looking company valuation models, GlobalData’s thematic methodology identifies which companies are best placed to succeed in a future filled with multiple disruptive threats. Our unique differentiator, compared to all our rival thematic research houses, is that our thematic engine has a proven track record of predicting leaders and challengers.
- Corporations: Helps CEOs in all industries understand the disruptive threats to their competitive landscape
- Gain in-depth understanding about the underlying factors driving demand for Directed energy weapons in the top spending countries across the world and identify the opportunities offered by each of them
- Strengthen your understanding of the market in terms of demand drivers, industry trends, and the latest technological developments, among others
- Identify the major channels that are driving the global unmanned surface vehicles report, providing a picture about future opportunities that can be tapped, resulting in revenue expansion
- Channelize resources by focusing on the ongoing programs that are being undertaken by the defense ministries of different countries for Directed energy weapons
- Make correct business decisions based on thorough analysis of the total competitive landscape of the sector with detailed profiles of the top unmanned surface vehicles providers around the world which include information about their product portfolio and key programs wherever available
- TABLE OF CONTENTS
- List of Tables
- List of Figures
- TECHNOLOGY BRIEFING
- Laser weapons
- Particle beam weapons
- High-power sonic weapons
- Infrasound weapons
- Ultrasound weapons
- Sonic rifles and cannons
- Utilization of DEWs in combat scenarios
- Defence and technology trends
- Macroeconomic trends
- Regulatory trends
- INDUSTRY ANALYSIS
- Market size and growth forecasts
- Global DEW development efforts
- Mergers and acquisitions
- VALUE CHAIN
- Directed energy technology
- Directed energy weapons
- End user domain
- Space-based DEWs
- Airborne-based DEWs
- Naval-based DEWs
- Ground-based DEWs
- Leaders in DEWs
- Challengers in DEWs
- APPENDIX: OUR THEMATIC RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
- Viewing the world’s data by themes makes it easier to make important decisions
- Traditional research does a poor job of picking winners and losers
- That is why we developed our “thematic engine”
- How do we create our sector scorecards?
- What is in our sector scorecards?
- How do we score companies in our thematic screen?
- How our research reports fit into our overall thematic research ecosystem
- About GlobalData
- Contact us
- List of Tables
- Table 1: How can DEWs be used in combat scenarios?
- Table 2: Defence and technology trends
- Table 3: Macroeconomic trends
- Table 4: Regulatory trends
- Table 5: Global DEW development efforts
- Table 6: Mergers and acquisitions
- Table 7: Leaders in DEWs
- Table 8: Challengers in DEWs
- Table 9: Glossary
- List of Figures
- Figure 1: Who are the big players and where do their strengths lie?
- Figure 2: Which technologies are used to develop DEWs?
- Figure 3: The major milestones in the journey of DEWs theme is set out in the timeline below
- Figure 4: Directed energy weapons are affecting all domains
- Figure 5: Our five-step approach for generating a sector scorecard