Taiwan - Mobile Infrastructure, Broadband, Operators - Statistics and Analyses
Taiwan possesses a competitive mobile market comprised of six mobile network operators although the market is dominated by three players. High mobile penetration has resulted in intense competition to gain new subscribers hence the market was quick to embrace 4G LTE.
Taiwan's mobile market is relatively developed compared to other Asian markets and has experienced negative growth over the last five years due to an increasingly saturated market. Flat to very slow growth is predicted over the next five years to 2023. The market will be constrained from higher growth due to a saturated mobile subscriber market and strong local competition.
As with any shift in the market landscape, Taiwan's three smaller players saw LTE introduction as an opportunity to expand market share, principally by offering more value to end users through higher speeds and/or lower prices.
Taiwan has seen a rapid increase in mobile broadband penetration over the past five years driven by strong growth of 4G mobile subscribers. Slowing growth is predicted over the next five years to 2023 as the market reaches a heightened state of maturity. The mobile broadband market will be driven by increasingly faster speeds offered by the mobile operators as they roll out their 4G and 5G networks.
Asia Pacific Telecom (APT) recently launched what is claimed to be the country's first TD-LTE network and APT is the first operator to receive approval to build a trial 5G network. APT expects to fully deploy its trial infrastructure by the end of 2018 and is looking to begin preparing for a commercial launch in 2020.
Line Corp has announced its entrance into Taiwan's MVNO market.
APT is the first operator to receive approval to build a trial 5G network.
Slowing mobile broadband growth is predicted over the next five years to 2023.
Companies mentioned in this report:
Chunghwa Telecom (CHT); Far EasTone; Taiwan Mobile; Asia Pacific Telecom; Vibo Telecom; Ambit
- 1. Synopsis
- 2. Market overview and analysis
- 2.1 Background
- 3. Mobile statistics
- 3.1 General statistics and Forecasts
- 3.2 Mobile Broadband Statistics and Market Forecasts
- 4. Regulatory issues
- 4.1 4G / LTE spectrum auctions
- 5. Mobile infrastructure
- 5.1 2G
- 5.2 3G
- 5.3 4G
- 5.4 5G
- 5.5 Internet of Things (IoT)
- 6. Major mobile operators
- 6.1 Introduction
- 6.2 Operator Statistics and market share
- 6.3 Far EasTone Telecommunications Group
- 6.4 Taiwan Mobile
- 6.5 Chunghwa Telecom Co Ltd (CHT)
- 6.6 Asia Pacific Telecom (APT)
- 6.7 VIBO Telecom
- 6.8 Ambit
- 6.9 Star Cellular
- 7. MNVOs
- 8. Related reports
- Table 1 Mobile Subscribers and Penetration (with Forecast) 2007 - 2023
- Table 2 Mobile subscribers by technology - 2G, 3G, 4G 2014 2018
- Table 3 Historic Mobile subscribers by technology (PHS, 2G, 3G, LTE) 2003 2015
- Table 4 Historic - Mobile subscribers and penetration 1995 - 2011
- Table 5 Historic - 2G/3G/4G mobile services ARPU 2005 - 2017
- Table 6 Taiwan 3G/4G mobile broadband subscribers 2008 - 2018
- Table 7 Historic SMS message volume 2001 - 2017
- Table 8 Historic - Prepaid mobile subscribers market share 2001 - 2017
- Table 9 Mobile Broadband Subscribers and Penetration (with Forecast) 2009 - 2023
- Table 10 Mobile Operators Subscribers and Market Share 2018
- Table 11 Far EasTone revenue, EBITDA, capex, net profit and ARPU 2003 - 2017
- Table 12 Taiwan - Far EasTone mobile subscribers and annual change 1998 - 2018
- Table 13 Taiwan - Far EasTone blended ARPU 2007 2018
- Table 14 Taiwan Mobile - revenue and net profit 2003 2017
- Table 15 Taiwan Mobile ARPU 2017 - 2018
- Table 16 Taiwan - Taiwan Mobile subscribers 1998 2018
- Table 17 Chunghwa Telecom mobile - 1998 2018
- Table 18 Chunghwa Telecom mobile subscribers market share 2000 - 2018
- Table 19 Chunghwa Telecom's blended mobile ARPU 2001 - 2018
- Table 20 APT mobile subscribers 2003 - 2017
- Table 21 Historic - Taiwan - VIBO Telecom mobile subscribers and annual change (historical) 2005 - 2013
- Chart 1 Percentage of Population Covered by Type of Mobile Network
- Chart 2 Mobile Subscribers and Penetration (with Forecast) 2007 - 2023
- Chart 3 Mobile Broadband Subscribers and Penetration (with Forecast) 2009 - 2023