Mergers and Acquisitions in the IVD Market
Mergers and Acquisitions in the IVD Market documents some 240 acquisitions that have taken place from 2012 to October 2015 in the extremely dynamic IVD industry. And this is likely only a small portion of what is really happening in the market; more deals are still to come. In vitro diagnostic (IVD) companies have been very busy with respect to acquisitions in an attempt to augment market share in an increasingly competitive market.
An IVD firm generally acquires another company to do one or more of the following:
- acquire a new IVD technology
- enter a new segment of the IVD market
- counter a competitor
- open a distribution channel
Mergers may or may not prove to be profitable, and the successful integration of companies can often prove time-consuming. The return on these investments might fluctuate due to a number of market drivers and constraints, including future performance, lawsuits, market valuations, and the arrival of newer technologies. Many top tier IVD companies are often willing and able to assume the risks involved in acquisitions and have recently struck deals.
Mergers and Acquisitions in the IVD Market discusses particular market segments that have proven active with respect to mergers and acquisitions, including the cancer, molecular, tissue and cell, companion, and point of care (POC) diagnostic market segments.
As an industry, the goal is to move beyond interoperability challenges and refocus energy on advancing healthcare. Next steps include the creation of the coming generation of IVD products, which will integrate the clinical lab into the mainstream of healthcare information flow.
The information presented in this report is the result of data gathered from government reports, company product literature and other corporate brochures and documents, as well as information found in the scientific and trade press.
- Executive Summary
- IVD Mergers and Acquisitions
- SELECT TOP TIER IVD COMPANY ACQUISITIONS
- Abbott Diagnostics
- Johnson and Johnson (J&J)
- Beckman Coulter/Danaher
- Thermo Fisher
- BD (Becton, Dickinson and Company)
- Bio-Rad Laboratories
- SELECT ACQUISITIONS IN 2014 AND 2015
- Table Selected Acquisitions of Diagnostic Companies, 2014-2015
- ACQUISITIONS ACTIVITY IN SELECTED IVDMARKET SEGMENTS
- Cancer Diagnostics
- Molecular Diagnostics
- Tissue and Cell Diagnostics
- Companion Diagnostics
- Point of Care (POC)
- SELECTED INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY (IT) COMPANY ACTIVITIES
- SELECT ACQUISITIONS IN 2012 AND 2013
- Table Selected Acquisitions of Diagnostic Companies, 2012-2013