New Zealand: Country Intelligence Report
New Zealand’s estimated population of 4.8m for 2017 makes it one of the least populated countries in the Asia-Pacific region. It is expected that the country’s population to grow at a CAGR of 1.3% over the 2017-2022 period, reaching 5.1m by 2022, driven by a gradual increase in immigration.New Zealand’s nominal GDP is estimated to reach $193bn in 2017. Despite a drop in its value in 2018 and averaging $177bn over 2018-2019, due to a weakening construction industry, the nominal GDP growth will recover in 2019 and reach $211bn by 2022.
Total telecommunications and pay-TV services revenue in New Zealand will reach an estimated $4.8bn (NZ$7.7bn) by 2022 at a CAGR of 1.7% (3.9% in NZ$). While mobile voice service is currently the largest revenue contributor, accounting for a majority 23.8% of total service revenue estimated for 2017, it will see its share decline over the forecast period due to rising substitution of voice services with OTT communication solutions.
Mobile data will be the fastest-growing segment with its revenue expanding at a CAGR of 7.1%, making it the largest revenue-generating segment from 2020. This growth will be driven by a steady rise in smartphone usage and rising adoption of 4G services.Fixed broadband revenue will also increase at a CAGR of 2.7% (4.9% in NZ$) over 2017-2022 driven by growing adoption of FTTx services, and supported by expansion of the ultrafast broadband network, and the Rural Broadband Initiative network.
The report New Zealand: Country Intelligence Report, provides an executive-level overview of the telecommunications market in New Zealand today, with detailed forecasts of key indicators up to 2022. Moreover, this report provides detailed analysis of the near-term opportunities, competitive dynamics and evolution of demand by service type and technology/platform across the fixed telephony, broadband, mobile and pay-TV segments, as well as a review of key regulatory trends.
In particular, this report provides the following -
Companies mentioned in this report:
- Demographic and macroeconomic context in New Zealand.
- The regulatory environment and trends: a review of the regulatory setting and agenda for the next 18-24 months as well as relevant developments pertaining to spectrum licensing, national broadband plans, tariff regulation and more.
- Telecom and pay-TV services market outlook: analysis as well as historical figures and forecasts of service revenue from the fixed telephony, broadband, mobile voice, mobile data and pay-TV markets.
- The competitive landscape: an examination of the positioning of leading players in the telecom and pay-TV services market as well as subscription market shares across segments.
- Company snapshots: analysis of the financial position of leading service providers in the telecommunications and pay-TV markets.
- Underlying assumptions behind our published base-case forecasts, as well as potential market developments that would alter, either positively or negatively, our base-case outlook.
Spark, Vodafone NZ, 2degrees, Sky, OrconScope
Reasons to buy
- Overall telecom and pay-TV services revenue in New Zealand will grow at a CAGR of 1.7% (3.9% in NZ$) during 2017-2022.
- Mobile revenue will account for 54.3% of the total telecom and pay-TV services revenue in 2022, driven by increasing adoption of 4G/4.5 services.
- Vodafone NZ leads New Zealand’s mobile market in terms of mobile subscriptions for 2017, followed by Spark and 2degrees. All the operators focus on price competitiveness to strengthen their market position.
- This Country Intelligence Report offers a thorough, forward-looking analysis of New Zealand’s telecommunications markets, service providers and key opportunities in a concise format to help executives build proactive and profitable growth strategies.
- Accompanying GlobalData’s Forecast products, the report examines the assumptions and drivers behind ongoing and upcoming trends in New Zealand’s mobile communications, fixed telephony, broadband markets, including the evolution of service provider market shares.
- With more than 20 charts and tables, the report is designed for an executive-level audience, boasting presentation quality.
- The report provides an easily digestible market assessment for decision-makers built around in-depth information gathered from local market players, which enables executives to quickly get up to speed with the current and emerging trends in New Zealand’s telecommunications markets.
- The broad perspective of the report coupled with comprehensive, actionable detail will help operators, equipment vendors and other telecom industry players succeed in the challenging telecommunications market in New Zealand.
- Market highlights
- Demographic, macro and regulatory context
- Demographic and macroeconomic context
- Regulatory context
- Telecom services market outlook
- Total telecom service revenue
- Mobile services market
- Fixed services market
- Pay-TV services market
- Competitive landscape and company snapshots
- Competitive landscape
- Vodafone NZ
- Additional resources
- Forecast assumptions
- Data tables
- About the authors
- Country Intelligence Report coverage
- About GlobalData