Smart Cities in Asia-Pacific: Regional Status & Key Case Studies
The wave of smart city projects in Asia-Pacific continues to roll on as large nations in the region continue their urbanization. Asia-Pacific’s smart cities focus on the areas of digital government services, environmental impact, and improvement of ICT infrastructure and adoption.
Growing urban demographics and rapid cities’ expansion are driving governments to deploy smart city solutions to sustain public services, drive economic competitiveness and enable a thriving environment in Asia-Pacific. Smart city initiatives in the region are driving increased collaboration between government and private industry while helping bridge the digital divide.
The region’s first smart city projects began in wealthier and densely-populated nations like South Korea, Singapore, and Japan. Now, as millions in markets like China, India, and Indonesia continue to move to urban centers, smart city projects have become a priority for governments across the region.
Each smart city project in the Asia-Pacific region entails different challenges. Countries in developed Asia-Pacific are more sensitive to the potentials of digital government and the impact they can have on resources management. While in developing Asia-Pacific smart city projects, while digital government services remain a focus, using technology to bridge the digital divide and provide economic opportunity are paramount.
Smart Cities in Asia-Pacific: Regional Status & Key Case Studies, a new Telecom Insider Report, provides an executive-level overview of the smart city market in Asia-Pacific (APAC). It delivers deep qualitative insights into the smart city market, smart city value chain, and ecosystem dynamics in the region. It also analyzes key trends and smart city projects being implemented in APAC.
- Asia-Pacific is a heterogeneous smart cities market with projects at different stages of development across the region.
- Governments are using smart city initiatives as a means to increase collaboration between different parts of government as well as between private industry and government.
- Telcos are heavily engaged in providing connectivity solutions through investments in fixed and mobile networks.
- Telecom operators are using data collection and analytics platforms as a way to move up the value chain from simple connectivity in Asia-Pacific's smart city projects.
The report provides an in-depth analysis of the following -
Reasons to buy
- Smart cities taxonomy & market context: an overview of the smart city context in APAC and analysis of the smart city value-chain and role of telcos.
- The situation of smart cities in APAC: an overview on the main smart city opportunities and challenges and how these are driving and impacting smart city investments. This section also analyzes telcos' role within smart city projects in APAC.
- Smart city case studies: this section details the business model and strategies of two smart city projects in APAC. It also details telcos' involvement in these projects.
- Key findings and recommendations: the insider concludes with a number of key findings and a set of recommendations for smart city stakeholders, including telecom service providers.
- This Insider Report provides a comprehensive examination of the value chain and business models of smart city projects in Asia-Pacific. It helps executives fully understand smart city market dynamics, determine key smart city positioning strategies, formulate effective product development plans and optimize return on investments.
- Two case studies illustrate the findings of the report, providing insights around two smart city projects in the region, including scope, services, budgets and timelines. The case studies also give an overview of the type of smart city solutions, use cases and value propositions telcos have rolled out. This will help telecom executives craft adapted smart city strategies to unlock new revenue streams.
- The report discusses concrete opportunities in the smart cities market, providing a number of actionable recommendations for smart city market participants, including telecom service providers.
- Executive Summary
- Section 1: Taxonomy & Market Context
- Defining a Smart City
- Elements of a Smart City
- Smart City Value Chain
- Section 2: Smart City Situation in Asia-Pacific
- Overview of Smart City Status in Asia-Pacific
- Challenges and Opportunities
- Smart City Projects in Asia-Pacific
- Section 3: Smart City Case Studies
- Singapore Smart City
- The Role of Telcos in Singapore Smart City Project
- Hangzhou Smart City
- The Role of Telcos in Hangzhou Smart City Project
- Section 4: Key Findings & Recommendations
- List of Figures
- Exhibit 1: Smart City Definition
- Exhibit 2: The Four Elements of Smart City Projects
- Exhibit 3: Smart City Technological Value Chain
- Exhibit 4: ITU Classification of Smart City Projects in Asia-Pacific
- Exhibit 5: Key Smart City Challenges and Opportunities in Asia-Pacific
- Exhibit 6: Smart City Projects and Investments in Asia-Pacific
- Exhibit 7: Singapore Smart Nation Snapshot, 2018
- Exhibit 8: Singapore Smart City Ecosystem
- Exhibit 9: Hangzhou Snapshot, China, 2018
- Exhibit 10: Hangzhou Smart City Ecosystem