Morocco: Country Intelligence Report
Morocco’s population of 35.2m makes it one of the largest populations in Africa & the Middle East, after Nigeria, Egypt and Algeria. Morocco’s population is expected to grow at a CAGR of 1.1% over the 2017-2022 period, reaching 37.2m. Morocco’s nominal GDP is expected to grow substantially at a CAGR of 6.9% to reach US$148.8bn by 2022, primarily due to steady demand in agricultural production and stronger commercial ties with Sub-Saharan African economies.
Morocco’s mobile subscription penetration will reach 121.5% by 2017 year-end, 30.6 percentage points above the Africa & Middle Eastern average. By year-end 2022, Morocco’s subscription penetration of 137.8% will surpass the region’s average thanks to increasing mobile coverage, recent 4G launch and growing M2M adoption.
As of year-end 2017, there will be 26.3m smartphone subscriptions in Morocco, a 200.0% increase from year-end 2013. By year-end 2022, 94.9% of total handsets in Morocco, will be smartphones. A key driver of this trend is the declining prices of smartphones.
Total telecommunications and pay-TV services revenues will decline 1.8% from 2016 levels in 2017, to account for 2.8% of nominal GDP. Over the next five years, it is expected that services revenue will increase at a CAGR of 5.6%, to $3.9bn, supported by significant growth in mobile data, fixed broadband and pay-TV.
Maroc Telecom will continue to be the largest mobile network operator in Morocco due to its ongoing expansion of 4G networks and launch of competitive bundles, with an estimated 44% share in 2017. Maroc Telecom, along with the second-largest MNO, Orange, will account for 77.8% of total mobile subscriptions in 2017. Orange’s share is expected to marginally increase to 35.1% by 2022, at the expense of both Maroc Telecom and Inwi, as the trend of Orange’s market share growth is expected to continue and increase due to continuous investments in 3G and 4G network upgrades.
The report Morocco: Country Intelligence Report provides an executive-level overview of the telecommunications market in Morocco today, with detailed forecasts of key indicators up to 2022. Additionally, this report provides detailed analysis of the near-term opportunities, competitive dynamics and evolution of demand by service type and technology/platform across the fixed telephony, broadband, mobile and pay-TV, as well as a review of key regulatory trends.
This report provides the following analysis in-depth -
Companies mentioned in this report:
- Demographic and macroeconomic context in Morocco.
- The regulatory environment and trends: A review of the regulatory setting and agenda for the next 18-24 months as well as relevant developments pertaining to spectrum licensing, national broadband plans, tariff regulation and more.
- Telecom and pay-TV services market outlook: Analysis as well as historical figures and forecasts of service revenue from the fixed telephony, broadband, mobile voice, mobile data and pay-TV markets.
- The competitive landscape: An examination of the positioning of leading players in the telecom and pay-TV services market as well as subscription market shares across segments.
- Company snapshots: Analysis of the financial position of leading service providers in the telecommunications and pay-TV markets.
- Underlying assumptions behind our published base-case forecasts, as well as potential market developments that would alter, either positively or negatively, our base-case outlook.
Maroc Telecom, Inwi, OrangeNokia, Ericsson and Huawei, ART, beIN Sports, OSN.Scope
Reasons to buy
- The overall telecom service revenue in Morocco is estimated to generate $2.9bn in 2017 and to grow at a CAGR of 5.6% during 2017-2022.
- Mobile revenue will account for 75.5% of total telecom revenue in 2022.
- The Morocco telecom market will be dominated by Maroc Telecom and Orange Morocco. Operators will continue to invest in 4G and 4G+ coverage expansions, M2M and deployment of fiber optics to drive the telecom market.
- This Country Intelligence Report offers a thorough, forward-looking analysis of Morocco's telecommunications market, service providers and key opportunities in a concise format to help executives build proactive and profitable growth strategies.
- Accompanying GlobalData’s Forecast products, the report examines the assumptions and drivers behind ongoing and upcoming trends in Morocco's mobile communications, fixed telephony and broadband markets, including the evolution of service provider market shares.
- With more than 40 charts and tables, the report is designed for an executive-level audience, boasting presentation quality.
- The report provides an easily digestible market assessment for decision-makers built around in-depth information gathered from local market players, which enables executives to quickly get up to speed with the current and emerging trends in Morocco's telecommunications market.
- The broad perspective of the report coupled with comprehensive, actionable detail will help operators, equipment vendors and other telecom industry players succeed in the challenging telecommunications market in Morocco.
- Market highlights
- Demographic, macro and regulatory context
- Demographic and macroeconomic context
- Regulatory context
- Telecom and pay-TV services market outlook
- Total telecom service revenue
- Mobile services market
- Fixed services market
- Pay-TV services market
- Competitive landscape and company snapshots
- Competitive landscape
- Maroc Telecom
- Additional resources
- Forecast assumptions
- Data tables
- About the authors
- Country Intelligence Report coverage
- About GlobalData