Generation Hashtag - Global Thematic Research
Millennials were ‘digital’ as defined by the discrete electronic tasks they performed on laptops, iPods or mobile handsets. Generation Hashtag, by contrast, is ‘born digital’. Generation Hashtag has never seen a world without the Internet.
They were born into smartphones, social media and the sharing economy. They are technology reliant, hyper-aware and extremely demanding. They are the first generation not to have to read or typed using a computer. For them, it is a world of touch screens filled with constellations of online apps.
Inside this report we look at the trends, industrial analysis, investment implications and indentify winners and losers.
Reasons to buy
- This report is part of our ecosystem of thematic investment research reports, supported by our “thematic engine”.
- About our Thematic Research Ecosystem
- GlobalData has developed a unique thematic methodology for valuing technology, media and telecom companies based on their relative strength in the big investment themes that are impacting their industry. Whilst most investment research is underpinned by backwards looking company valuation models, GlobalData’s thematic methodology identifies which companies are best placed to succeed in a future filled with multiple disruptive threats. To do this, GlobalData tracks the performance of the top 600 technology, media and telecom stocks against the 50 most important themes driving their earnings, generating 30,000 thematic scores. The algorithms in GlobalData’s “thematic engine” help to clearly identify the winners and losers within the TMT sector. Our 600 TMT stocks are categorised into 18 sectors. Each sector scorecard has a thematic screen, a risk screen and a valuation screen. Our thematic research ecosystem has a three-tiered reporting structure: single theme, multi-theme and sector scorecard. This report is a Multi-Theme report, covering all stocks, all sectors and all themes, giving readers a strong sense of how everything fits together and how conflicting themes might interact with one another.
- Our thematic investment research product, supported by our thematic engine, is aimed at senior (C-Suite) executives in the corporate world as well as institutional investors.
- Corporations: Helps CEOs in all industries understand the disruptive threats to their competitive landscape
- Investors: Helps fund managers focus their time on the most interesting investment opportunities in global TMT.
- Our unique differentiator, compared to all our rival thematic research houses, is that our thematic engine has a proven track record of predicting winners and losers.
- Understanding the generational differences
- Table What are the different characteristics of each generation
- Market size
- The ascendancy of Generation Hashtag
- The vast majority of Millennials have yet to enter the digital world
- The younger Millennials are part of Generation Hashtag
- Generation Hashtag is the global precariat
- Generation Hashtag thinks and acts differently
- Generation Hashtagis expected to be a bigger investment theme in India than in China
- Investment implications
- Impact on the media sector
- Impact on the smartphone sector
- Impact on the semiconductor sector
- Case studies
- Company watch list
- Appendix: Our "Thematic" research methodology
- Table Five-step approach for generating a sector scorecard