Impact of Visible Light Communication (VLC) Technology
Over the past years, globally there has been tremendous transformation in communication and lighting sectors with evolution of advanced and many new technologies such as OLED, Micro-LED, 4G, 5G networks. Smart connected devices have witnessed rapid industrial growth and new technologies and products are constantly on the rise. With the advent of the Internet of Things (IoT), smart homes, automation, connected living communication plays a vital role in driving technology innovations in different industries.
LEDs (light emitting diodes) which are commonly used for display and lighting applications is leveraged for wireless data transmission driven by advancements in the optoelectronics sector. The concept of transmitting data through light rays is termed as Visible Light Communication (VLC). There are numerous applications enabled by VLC and these include: consumer electronics, automotive, aerospace and defense, industrial, healthcare, home and building automation. VLC can be useful in applications where RF (radio frequency) communication is difficult to achieve the objective. Ultra-high speed data transmission and high bandwidth capabilities drive the adoption of VLC over other communication platforms.
The technology and innovation report captures the impact of VLC on different applications. Key questions answered in the report are highlighted below.
1. What is the significance of VLC?
2. What are the key enabling technologies?
3. What are the factors that influence technology development and adoption?
4. Who are the key innovators driving developments?
5. What are the opportunities based on patent and funding trends?
6. What is the VLC technology adoption by region (North America, Europe, and Asia-Pacific)?
7. What are the applications enabled by VLC technology?
8. What is the market potential for VLC technology (forecast until 2021)?
9. What is the future prospect of the technology?
10. What sort of strategies OEMs need to embrace to gain entry and sustain competition?
- Executive Summary
- Scope of the Technology and Innovation Research
- Research Methodology
- Research Methodology Explained
- Summary of Key Findings
- Technology Landscape Assessment - Trends, Enabling Technologies, Benchmarking, and Innovation Ecosystem
- VLC - A Point-to-Point High-speed Wireless Communication Technology Platform
- Technology Functionalities - Bidirectional and Fully Networked Wireless Communication
- Technology Trends - Smart Cities, IoT, Network Topology, Networking, and Super Fast Wireless Internet
- Technologies Enabling VLC - Convergence of ICT, Electronics, and Materials Segments
- Benchmarking of Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and VLC
- Industry Value Chain
- Innovation Ecosystem
- Internet Connectivity and New Business Models Foster Developments for Diversified Applications
- Application Assessment - Key Trending Applications
- Key Trending Applications
- Key Applications - Home/Office Buildings, Healthcare, Retail
- Key Applications - Automotive, Consumer Electronics, Aerospace, and Military and Defense
- Key Applications - Telecommunication, Industrial, Disaster Management, Marine and Education
- Factors Influencing Technology Development and Adoption
- Factors Influencing VLC Adoption - Market Drivers and Challenges
- Increasing Competition from Other Wireless Technologies and Demand for Building Smart City Infrastructure are Driving Factors
- Government Policies and High Investment Cost in Reshaping Infrastructure Hinders Adoption
- Impact Assessment of Key Technology Drivers and Challenges Influencing Adoption
- Low Power Consumption and High Data Speed Connectivity Drives Development
- Complexities in System Setup and Light Obstruction Factors Hinders Development
- Market Potential - Forecast until 2021, Commercialization Initiatives
- Total Visible Light Communication Market: Global Revenue Forecast, 2016-2021
- Market Significance of the VLC Technology
- Commercialization Initiatives and Trends
- Key Innovations, Technology Developments, and Strategies Driving Commercialization and Growth Opportunities
- Key Technology Developments and Innovations
- Li-Fi Built Electric Lights Integrated with Internet Access
- Li-Fi based LED Lighting System for IoT Connected Devices
- Fast and Low-cost Li-Fi Solution for IoT Connected Devices
- Portable and Highly Secured Li-Fi Product for Diversified Applications
- Key Innovators and Initiatives - pureLiFi, Velmenni, Lightbee
- Key Innovators and Initiatives - IBSENtelecom, Acuity Brands Lighting, LVX System
- Advancements in LED Technology Back VLC Technology
- Advancements in Semiconducting Materials Encourage VLC Applications
- Advancements in Communication Technology Promote VLC Technology Capabilities
- Strategies to Capitalize Growth Opportunities
- Global Patent Landscape and Regional Adoption Assessment
- Global Patent Trend Analysis - By Year and Jurisdictions
- VLC Adoption Assessment in North America
- VLC Adoption Assessment in Europe
- VLC Adoption Analysis in APAC
- Technology and Application Roadmap - Forecast until 2022
- Technology Roadmap for VLC
- Application Roadmap for VLC
- Growth Opportunities and Strategic Directions
- Possible Strategic Approaches and New Technology Capabilities in VLC Technology
- New Business Model and High Growth Opportunities
- Assessment of Key Success Factors
- From the Analyst's Desk: What is the Nature of Disruption and Potential for Convergence?
- From the Analyst's Desk: What is the Role of Regulations in Driving Developments?
- From the Analyst's Desk: Key Companies to Watch out For
- Key Patents
- Key Patents - Indoor Positioning and Tracking Applications
- Key Patents - Machine to Machine Communication and Light based Occupant Tracking
- Key Patents - Light based Data Transmission Method and Relay Assisted VLC System
- Key Patents - Display Integrated with VLC Technology and Adaptive MIMO VLC System
- Key Industry Contacts