US Market Report for Cone Beam Computed Tomography Scanners 2016 - MedCore
Prior to CBCT technology, medical computed tomography (CT) scanners were used in hospitals for dental applications. However, the demand for CBCT scanners has shifted due to the superior imaging quality and lower radiation doses it delivers. Traditionally, CBCT technology has been a diagnostic tool for evaluating a patient’s jaw bones to place dental implants and perform other oral surgeries. However, the capabilities of CBCT scanners have quickly expanded beyond the application of three-dimensional bone reconstruction and have incorporated advanced panoramic and cephalometric imaging capabilities. Dentists have the option of installing CBCT scanner systems into their practices by either upgrading an existing digital panoramic or pan/ceph system, or by installing a new system entirely.
CBCT scanner products can be divided into systems with small, medium and large field-of-views (FOVs). A small FOV (from 4 cm by 5 cm to 8 cm by 8 cm) CBCT scanner is typically used by general practitioners (GPs) in smaller sized dental practices that perform some dental implant procedures. Approximately 85% of small FOV CBCT scanners are offered as two-in-one combination units that can perform both panoramic/cephalometric X-ray procedures and CBCT scans. The remaining 15% of small FOV CBCT scanners do not offer this combination and only produce 3D images. However, this percentage is quickly going down as the demand for combo machines is much higher. Medium FOV (from 8 cm by 14 cm to 15 cm by 15 cm) CBCT scanners are primarily used by bigger dental clinics specializing in implantology and other oral surgery procedures. Approximately 70% of medium FOV CBCT scanners are solely dedicated to CBCT scans, and the remaining 30% of medium FOV devices are a combination of panoramic/cephalometric X-ray images and CBCT scans. Medium FOV CBCT scanners can also be used with dental implant surgical guide imaging software that is used by dentists for placing dental implants. Large FOV (from 16 cm by 18 cm to 19 cm by 24 cm) CBCT scanners only perform dedicated CBCT scans and are used almost exclusively in imaging centers and hospitals that exclusively perform dental implant treatments and other oral surgeries.
Cone beam computed tomography (CBCT) scanners for dental use have been present since the early 2000s. CBCT scanners operate with an X-ray scanner that is mounted on a rotating arm that circles a patient’s head. As it rotates, the scanner uses a cone shaped X-ray beam that is projected through the patient and onto the imaging sensor. This enables a three-dimensional reconstruction of the bone structure of the patient’s face and jaw.
Learn how to effectively navigate the market research process to help guide your organization on the journey to success.Download eBook