Wealth in Sweden: Sizing the Market Opportunity
Wealth in Sweden: Sizing the Market Opportunity analyzes Sweden's wealth and retail savings and investments markets, with a particular focus on the HNW segment. Analysis is based upon our 2014 Global Wealth Managers Survey, our Global Wealth Markets Analytics, and our Global Retail Investments Analytics.
Reasons To Buy
- Size your potential client base using our proprietary data, presenting the number of affluent individuals by liquid asset band to 2018.
- Understand the drivers behind the growth of the affluent market, such as the wider macroeconomic environment and investment preferences.
- Quantify HNW asset allocations into non-liquid assets such as property. Find out how much of their investible assets are held offshore.
- Export the graphics from the dashboard, or if you are more at ease using Excel, export the data into your own worksheets.
- How large is the HNW market in Sweden?
- What is the penetration of affluent individuals in Sweden?
- What is the current and future mix of asset class balances in Sweden?
- How much of their wealth do Sweden HNW individuals invest offshore?
- Which booking centers are used by HNW individuals to invest offshore?
Affluent individuals hold over 64% of the total wealth, or $256.3bn, of which the HNW share is around 18%. Swedish offshore investments are negligible, with only 9% of investments held offshore. Switzerland and Luxembourg are the leading offshore booking centers.
The Swedish wealth market has become one of the most dynamic in Europe, having recovered well from the global financial crisis. In addition to strong economic performance, Swedish public finances are also sound.
Allocation in equities and mutual funds allows for a dynamic market. Traditional liquid allocations account for 78% of HNW investments, while alternatives, commodities, and property investments account for the remaining 22%. Equities and mutual funds are expected to see the most growth.
- Executive Summary
- The 1.4 million affluent individuals in Sweden hold $256.3bn in liquid assets
- Key findings
- Critical success factors
- Sizing and Forecasting the Wealth Market in Sweden
- Affluent individuals account for 18.9% of the Swedish adult population
- HNW individuals account for 0.28% of individuals but hold 18% of liquid assets in Sweden
- Drivers of Growth in the Swedish Wealth Market
- The total retail savings and investments market is set to grow at a steady pace
- Swedish retail investments are well diversified compared to other markets
- Low returns on deposits and low bond yields push investment into mutual funds and equities
- GDP growth to remain in a stable trajectory as foreign demand increases
- The performance of the Stockholm OMX 30 has been strong
- HNW Investment Preferences in Sweden
- Over a fifth of Swedish HNW assets are held outside of traditional investments
- Swedish HNW individuals hold few offshore investments
- Tax efficiency and client anonymity is the biggest driver of offshore investment in Sweden
- Table Resident individuals are subject to national and municipal taxes
- Swedish HNW individuals tend to offshore their assets in traditional booking centers
- Abbreviations and acronyms
- Supplementary data
- Table Sweden: total liquid wealth segmented by affluent category and asset band ($bn), 2010-14
- Table Sweden: total liquid wealth segmented by affluent category and asset band ($bn), 2015e-18f
- Table Sweden: adult population segmented by affluent category and asset band, 2010-14
- Table Sweden: adult population segmented by affluent category and asset band, 2015e-18f
- Liquid assets
- Mass affluent
- Exchange of information
- Verdict Financial's 2014 Global Wealth Managers Survey
- Verdict Financial's Global Wealth Model methodology
- Global Retail Investments Analytics methodology
- Exchange rates
- Table Swedish krona-US dollar exchange rate, December 31, 2012 and December 31, 2014
- Further reading