Retail Banking Market Insights: New Zealand
New Zealand has a developed, well diversified, and stable financial system. The market for financial services is concentrated, with a handful of large banks controlling a significant market share. Product ownership rates are average across all products. New Zealand consumers are loyal and generally choose their existing provider for new products. New Zealand consumers are keen digital banking users and show high rates of customer advocacy, particularly among those who use the branch channel.
- The banking sector in New Zealand is concentrated, with the top three providers accounting for 67% of main current accounts.
- New Zealand consumers tend to choose providers because of an existing relationship.
- New Zealand savers are cautious, with over half saving to protect themselves against unforeseen events and over a third saving for retirement.
- New Zealand’s mortgage balances outstanding totaled NZ$0.2tn in 2014, up from NZ$0.16tn in 2008.
- Around a fifth of consumers in New Zealand have a personal loan. The personal loans market is dominated by ANZ, ASB, and Kiwi Bank with a combined market share of 51%.
- Over half of the population use smartphones in New Zealand, implying a large potential market for mobile-delivered financial services. New Zealand’s banking infrastructure is ranked 3rd out 20 global banking markets.
Reasons To Buy
- Verdict Financial’s Retail Banking Market Insights: Country Snapshot New Zealand is a review of the retail banking sector in New Zealand, with a particular focus on the current account, savings, mortgage, and personal loan markets. It includes both market-level data and insight from our global consumer survey.
- Overview of New Zealand’s banking sector.
- Insight into consumer preferences in New Zealand and the reasons for using their financial products and how this has evolved in recent years.
- Insight into the main providers dominating the current account, savings, mortgage, and loan markets and the different factors persuading customers to choose them.
- Examination of the extent to which consumers are using online and mobile channels to research, take out, and use their financial products.
- Futureproof your strategy with market sizing, forecasts, and analysis of key developments currently affecting the New Zealand retail banking sector.
- Target consumers with inside knowledge of their true behaviors and attitudes, with detailed analysis from our proprietary insight.
- Learn about the impact new entrants and distribution channels will have on the market.
- CURRENT ACCOUNTS
- SAVINGS ACCOUNTS
- PERSONAL LOANS
- BANK INFRASTRUCTURE & REGULATION