Father’s Day 2016
Father’s day in the UK has given retailers the opportunity to take advantage of increased consumer spend for the occasion. Retailers can expect to see spend on gifts, food and drink and cards and gift wrapping rise as the grocers in particular have become adept at manoeuvring their ranges and propositions to suit the latest consumer trends. Verdict research indicates that the importance of the occasion has managed to transcend the uncertainty surrounding the effects on consumer’s personal finances and the economy caused by brexit; however, consumers suggested that the retail occasion had also become too commercial. The impacts of this sentiment have been seen with declining spend on previous years. This report provides an overview of the major issues currently affecting the father’s day retail occasion.
- Father’s day to become ever more price competitive. With the likes of B&M and Home bargains recording strong profits off of the back of father’s day, consumers generally are looking to keep spend low for the retail occasion as it is considered an important event although second in spend priority to that of mother’s day. This has resulted in retailers resorting to price reductions in order to differentiate a standard proposition.
- Positivity surrounding personal finances prevails pre-brexit. Increasing wage growth, low interest rates and price deflation due to intense competition has given consumers considerable piece of mind on their personal finances before the Brexit vote in June. This left consumers more likely to spend without apprehension on father’s day 2016.
- More than a fifth of consumers spent time with their dad on father’s day. An increasing number of consumers highlighted that they had spent time with their father on father’s day which was the fastest growing activity for the consumer’s category whilst activities that included going out spending money mostly plateaued or declined. This is reflective of consumer concerns that the occasion has become too commercial and an increasing trend by consumers towards more family orientated activities such as having a family meal.
- Convenience and price remain key factors for consumers spend. Retailers like Tesco have benefitted from the ability to reach all consumer bases as well as offer a wide ranging food and drink proposition for father’s day but have also managed to achieve very competitive prices. This combination made them a key destination for many consumers across the country.
“Father’s Day April 2016”, a Trend Report by Verdict Retail, provides an executive-level overview of the Father’s day retail occasion for 2016 and trends that would affect future occasions. With values and volumes, it delivers deep quantitative and qualitative insight into the retail occasion, analyzing key trends in the market based on proprietary data from Verdict Retail’s aftermarket databases.It provides in-depth analysis of the following:
Reasons To Buy
- Analysis of survey data concerning factors and trends influencing consumer purchasing attitudes such as occasion activities, consumer spend patterns, methods of financing spend, retailer proposition strength rankings.
- Analysis of survey data and market sizing concerning factors surrounding food and drink sector purchases during the occasion, such as channel usage, fulfillment options, Retailer growth rates and food and drink sub category spend.
- Analysis of survey data concerning buying dynamic for father’s day gifts and gift category penetration for the occasion.
- Analysis of survey data and market sizing concerning factors surrounding the cards and gift wrapping sector purchases during the occasion, such as channel usage, fulfillment options, card and gift wrapping sub category spend.
- This Trend Report helps executives build proactive, profitable growth strategies by offering comprehensive, relevant analysis of the Father’s day retail occasion in the UK based on insights from within Verdict's team of analysts, consumer insight from our bespoke annual survey and interviews with industry experts.
- The report is designed for an executive-level audience, boasting presentation quality that allows it to be turned into presentable material immediately.
- The broad but detailed perspective will help manufacturers and retailers to understand, develop and succeed for the next Father’s day retail occasion.
- Consumer attitudes
- Food and drink
- Gift buying
- Cards & gift wrap