Consumer Payments Country Snapshot: Italy
The consumer payments market in Italy is in many ways out of step with the rest of Western Europe. It has a comparatively low penetration of payment cards, although it also has the largest point of sale (POS) terminal network of any country in the region.
- Debit cards are the most popular card type by far, but cash remains the most popular payment tool in stores for most Italians.
- E-commerce accounts for the vast majority of online purchases by value in Italy, although m-commerce is expected to record a compound annual growth rate of 21% between 2015 and 2019.
- Regulatory changes have led to a rise in demand for affordable POS terminals, and the mobile POS market in particular is an area of significant opportunity for providers.
Verdict Financial’s “Consumer Payments Country Snapshot: Italy” examines the consumer payments market in Italy, considering payment cards, online payments, P2P payments, and newer payment technologies such as mobile wallets and contactless. This report also examines the regulations in force in the market that players must comply with and how these have changed in recent years. Analyzes the major payment card types in terms of both card holding and usage.
Reasons To Buy
- Identifies the major competitors in card issuing and how their position in the market has changed over the last five years.
- Considers consumer attitudes towards prepaid cards, P2P tools, mobile payment tools, and contactless cards, and how companies in Italy are deploying these tools to meet customer needs.
- Explores the online payment market in Italy by merchant type and payment tool, as well as providing a five-year forecast for the development of the market.
- Considers the regulations affecting the payments market and how they are likely to affect both incumbents and disruptors.
- Understand the key facts and figures in the consumer payments market in Italy.
- Find out what products the major competitors are launching in the market and plan your strategy accordingly.
- Discover consumer sentiment towards various payment tools in the Italian market and use this knowledge to inform product design.
- Learn about the key regulatory requirements affecting Italian payments players and any recent or upcoming changes to those requirements.
- PROXIMITY PAYMENTS
- Payment Cards: Market Sizing and Forecasting
- Payment Cards: Schemes
- Payment Cards: Issuers
- Alternative & Emerging Payment Tools: Prepaid Cards
- Alternative & Emerging Payment Tools: P2P Payments
- Alternative & Emerging Payment Tools: Contactless Cards
- Alternative & Emerging Payment Tools: Mobile Proximity Payments
- REMOTE PAYMENTS
- E-commerce and M-commerce: Market Sizing & Forecasting
- E-commerce and M-commerce: Spend by Merchant Category
- E-commerce and M-commerce: Spend by Payment Tool
- PAYMENTS INFRASTRUCTURE
- POS Terminals & ATMs
- Acquiring & Processing
- Regulatory Environment
- Abbreviations, acronyms, and definitions
- Methodology and further reading