Christmas 2015; Consumer and market trends and purchasing behavior
This Christmas saw significant uplifts in terms of consumer sentiment and consumer spending
- Ongoing price deflation and continued wage growth - has meant consumers are broadly feeling the benefits of the wider recovery on their personal finances. This is seen an uptick in those stating they feel financially better off versus those feeling worse off.
- While convenience and low prices remained the most important drivers of store choice - for those purchasing festive food and drink, both of these declined in importance on last year. In contrast, good customer service (+4.9ppts) and festive range (+4.2ppts) were more important.
- Some notable signs of recovery can be seen - in the factors consumers valued as important when purchasing gifts this Christmas, with low prices and bargains declining in importance, and pleasant ambience (+2.0ppts) and unusual products (+1.8ppts) increasing in relevance.
- In spite of this, the overall purchase penetration for gifts declined. The strongest declines were in food gifts, health & beauty and alcohol gifts.
- Low prices continued to fall as a driver of store choice - in seasonal non-food, by some 10.8ppts. The most noticeable uplifts in importance came from pleasant store ambience and the availability of loyalty schemes – likely a reflection of the increased usage of the grocers.
The Christmas 2016 report offers a comprehensive insight into the Christmas retail market in the UK, analysing the market, the major players, the main trends, and consumer attitudes.It proves in-depth analysis of the following:
Reasons To Buy
- Consumer attitudes
- Food and drink purchasing
- Gift buying purchasing
- Seasonal non-food purchasing
- Utilise the detailed data and insight on the market to help form an effective growth strategy across all sectors of online
- Understand who are the target demographic and their key issues and demands
- Identify the opportunities to grow business in this sector and the value added to physical stores.
- Understand the journey of consumers throughout the process of online purchases.
- Key findings
- Consumer attitudes
- Food and drink shopping
- Gift shopping
- Seasonal non-food
- Technical appendix