Super League In-Depth Analysis: RBC Wealth Management 2016
Royal Bank of Canada (RBC) is a Canada-based financial services provider that operates five main business segments. The company’s wealth management division offers clients a range of investment, trust, and other wealth management solutions. Led by Douglas A. Guzman, RBC Wealth Management has focused on strengthening its presence in its core markets, Canada and the US, through a series of divestments and acquisitions. In Canada, RBC Wealth Management targets HNW clients and UHNW individuals with more than $1m in investable assets through its Private Banking brand, while in the US RBC Private Wealth offers services to families holding at least $5m. The division also pursues niche audience segments such as corporate executives and those in the sports and media industries.
- RBC continues to strengthen its presence in its key market of Canada. This comes after divestments in Europe and Asia Pacific in order to shift the focus away from non-core regions. At the same time, RBC Wealth Management is growing in the US, the most important market for the company outside of Canada.
- In November 2015 RBC completed the acquisition of City National Bank for $5bn as part of the company’s strategy to better serve HNW and commercial clients in the US. The largest restructuring costs for the company in 2015 were due to RBC’s US and International Wealth Management business, including the divestment of RBC Suisse in August 2015.
- In 2015 RBC Wealth Management’s contribution to company revenue showed a continued increase, reflective of greater client assets. The division’s assets under management (AUM) increased 9.2% from 2014 due to net sales and capital appreciation.
- RBC targets business owners and entrepreneurs with a range of tailored services, delivered through relationship managers. For clients who prefer digital advice platforms, RBC Investor Gateway identifies tax-saving opportunities and consolidates investments in accounts held with other companies.
- RBC has a strong presence on social media platforms, but RBC Wealth Management’s LinkedIn page is the only wealth management-specific profile. The company’s YouTube channel is active in posting content about annual reports, managing accounts, leadership insight, and career advice.
Verdict Financial’s “Super League In-Depth Analysis: RBC Wealth Management 2016” is a comprehensive analysis of RBC’s wealth management operations. It offers insight into the company’s strategy, financial results, and marketing activities. It also covers recent merger and acquisition (M&A) activity, customer targeting, and product innovation.
Reasons To Buy
- Insight into RBC’s growth strategy in core markets.
- Overview of the firm’s organizational structure.
- Clear presentation of its geographical coverage and core market strategy, including M&A activity.
- Analysis of the firm’s financial performance, including comparison with other global wealth managers.
- Examination of key target client groups.
- Analysis of RBC’s service and product proposition and how it is unique compared to those of its competitors.
- Review of RBC’s marketing and social media activities.
- Examine the financial performance and key ratios for RBC and benchmark this competitor against other global wealth managers.
- Explore RBC’s recent M&A and growth strategies and their impacts on its AUM growth and financial performance.
- Understand RBC’s client targeting strategies and examine whether these have been successful.
- Learn more about RBC’s marketing strategy, social media presence, and digital innovations.
- 1. Executive Summary
- 2. Strategy
- 3. Financial Performance
- 4. Customers & Products
- 5. Marketing & Advertising
- 6. Appendix