Super League In-Depth Analysis: Morgan Stanley 2016
Morgan Stanley is a US-based financial services provider that operates three main business segments. The company’s wealth management segment, Morgan Stanley Wealth Management (MSWM), is comprised of 15,000 financial advisors in four regions around the world, offering various financial and advisory services, wealth planning, insurance products, and retirement services. Led by Colm Kelleher, MSWM continues to display strong performance both in revenues and contribution to Morgan Stanley group revenues. Morgan Stanley targets HNW clients and UHNW individuals with more than $20m in liquid assets through its Private Wealth Management brand. The division also pursues niche audience segments such as athletes and celebrities. MSWM has not been involved in M&A activity since May 2014, when the company sold its Swiss private banking operations to Safra Group. However, the company continues to grow its client base through new products as well as digital platforms.
- Morgan Stanley remains present in Europe, the Middle East, and Africa but has significantly reduced its global footprint. In June 2016 Morgan Stanley opened a third office in Miami to serve clients residing in Latin America, allowing the company to meet the needs of clients with offshore wealth.
- As part of the company’s strategic update, CEO James Gorman has presented the next phase of Project Streamline 2016–2017, an initiative that focuses on reducing expenditures across Morgan Stanley. The project aims to achieve this through five main pillars, including structurally simplifying the organization and outsourcing.
- In 2015 MSWM improved its cost/revenue ratio, reflective of the company’s goal of cutting costs and shifting focus towards its more stable wealth management division.
- The company focuses on products that resonate with a range of client interests and lifestyles, such as its Catholic Values investing tool kit and discounts through its Reserved Living & Giving program.
- Morgan Stanley has a strong presence on social media platforms. Since mid-2014 Morgan Stanley advisors who have undergone an online training course and have at least 15 followers are allowed to generate tweets for the company’s official account.
Verdict Financials “Super League In-Depth Analysis: Morgan Stanley 2016” is a comprehensive analysis of Morgan Stanley’s wealth management operations. It offers insight into the company’s strategy, financial results, and marketing activities. It also covers recent M&A activity, customer targeting, and product innovation.
Reasons To Buy
- Insight into Morgan Stanley’s growth strategy.
- Overview of the firm’s organizational structure.
- Clear presentation of its geographical coverage and expansion strategy, including M&A activity.
- Analysis of the firm’s financial performance, including comparison with other global wealth managers.
- Examination of key target client groups.
- Analysis of Morgan Stanley’s product and service proposition and how it is unique compared to those of its competitors.
- Review of Morgan Stanley’s marketing and social media activity.
- Examine the financial performance and key ratios for Morgan Stanley and benchmark this competitor against other global wealth managers.
- Explore Morgan Stanley’s M&A and growth strategies and their impacts on its AUM growth and financial performance.
- Understand Morgan Stanley’s client targeting strategies and examine whether these have been successful.
- Learn more about Morgan Stanley’s marketing strategy, social media presence, and digital innovations.
- 1. Executive Summary
- 2. Strategy
- 3. Financial Performance.
- 4. Customers & Products
- 5. Marketing & Advertising
- 6. Appendix