Retail Banking Country Snapshot: France 2016
The markets for mortgages and personal loans are largely dominated by a single provider (Crédit Agricole for mortgages, LCL for loans). Across all main products branches remain the key channel for acquiring new customers, with many providers not offering digital onboarding. Customers choose providers mainly on the basis of reputation, existing relationships, and rate. Only a minority of consumers either use, or intend to use, fintech providers, with younger consumers proving the most receptive.
- Although retirement remains a key objective for nearly a third of savers, it has declined by 11 percentage points since 2015. Saving to make a financial investment has also fallen substantially, and these movements suggest that consumers are now less focused on long-term objectives.
- Purchasing a car is by far the most common reason for taking out a loan, cited by 32% of borrowers. 17% of borrowers arranged their loan in order to fund home improvements. However, these proportions have fallen significantly in the last year, which may signal a decline in discretionary spending.
- Online is the channel of choice for basic tasks for around two thirds of consumers. Mobile has yet to make a significant impact in this sphere, and is favored by no more than 10% of consumers. However, this will increase over time as adoption extends into the mainstream.
This brief reviews the retail banking sector in France, with a particular focus upon the current account, savings, mortgage, and personal loans markets. It includes both market-level data and insight from our global retail banking insight survey.The report offers insight into:
Reasons To Buy
- How consumers in France take out and use their financial products, and how this has changed in recent years.
- Which providers dominate the current account, savings, mortgage, and loan markets, and what factors persuaded their customers to choose them.
- The extent to which consumers are using online and mobile channels to research, take out, and use their financial products.
- Futureproof your strategy with market sizing, forecasts, and analysis of key developments currently affecting the French retail banking sector.
- Target consumers with inside knowledge of their true behaviors and attitudes, with detailed analysis from our proprietary insight.
- Learn about the impact that new entrants and distribution channels will have on the market.
- Current accounts
- Channel use
- Savings accounts
- Personal loans
- Bank infrastructure & regulation