Retail Banking Country Snapshot: Canada 2016
The market for most financial products in Canada is largely controlled by the top five banks, although non-bank lenders have made significant inroads into the mortgage market in recent years. Consumers have conservative preferences, opting for providers on the basis of reputation, branch presence, and pricing. Mobile is now the preferred channel for routine transactions for around a tenth of consumers, and this proportion will rise as older consumers adopt mobile banking in greater numbers.
- Choice of chequing account provider is mainly governed by reputation and branch location. Although branch location is of greatest importance to post-families, over half of younger consumers also cited this as a factor.
- Although there has been a fall in the proportion of savers opening their account in-branch, this channel is still used in around two thirds of cases. So although branches are being used progressively less for transactional activities, they remain vital for sales-led activities.
- Mobile is the newest banking channel and has yet to reach maturity. Consequently, adoption is heavily skewed by age: while more than 40% of pre- and younger families use mobile at least once a week, around 80% of post-family consumers have never used the channel.
This brief reviews the retail banking sector in Canada, with a particular focus upon the current account, savings, mortgage, and personal loans markets. It includes both market-level data and insight from our global retail banking insight survey.
The report offers insight into:
Reasons To Buy
- How consumers in Canada take out and use their financial products, and how this has changed in recent years.
- Which providers dominate the current account, savings, mortgage, and loan markets, and what factors persuaded their customers to choose them.
- The extent to which consumers are using online and mobile channels to research, take out, and use their financial products.
- Future proof your strategy with market sizing, forecasts, and analysis of key developments currently affecting the Canadian retail banking sector.
- Target consumers with inside knowledge of their true behaviors and attitudes, with detailed analysis from our proprietary insight.
- Learn about the impact that new entrants and distribution channels will have on the market.
- Current accounts
- Channel use
- Savings accounts
- Personal loans
- Bank infrastructure & regulation