Consumer Payments Country Snapshot: Netherlands 2016
The Dutch payments market is highly mature, with consumers very comfortable using debit cards and online payment channels (especially local brand iDEAL, backed by wide acceptance and a convenient user experience). In spite of a high level of consumer comfort with established payment instruments, recent developments in mobile proximity payments as well as contactless technology by the likes of ING, Rabobank, and ABN Amro will see these payment options gain traction among Dutch consumers. Of course, in the initial stages providers will need to highlight their use cases and advantages over traditional payment tools to consumers.
- In contrast to the high level of adoption and rollout of debit cards, credit and charge cards are significantly less popular among Dutch consumers. Therefore, credit card providers have the opportunity to enhance their transaction-based revenue by increasing the adoption rate among Dutch consumers.
- While e-commerce accounts for the vast majority of online purchases by value in the Netherlands, m-commerce is set to record a significant compound annual growth rate of 21% between 2015 and 2020. Dutch consumers have become increasingly comfortable using mobiles to shop online, offering opportunities for further enhancement to mobile-based payment offerings.
- The share of Dutch consumers who have and use a contactless card has grown more than 20 percentage points since last year, showing there is an increasing interest in the advantages of new technology. However, more than half of Dutch users are preoccupied by unauthorized use of their contactless cards if they are lost, meaning providers should include security features in their value proposition in order to boost usage.
Verdict Financial’s “Consumer Payments Country Snapshot: Netherlands 2016” examines the consumer payments market in the Netherlands, considering payment cards, online payments, P2P payments, and newer payment technologies such as mobile wallets and contactless. This report also examines the regulations in force in the market that players must comply with, and how these have changed in recent years.
Reasons To Buy
- Analyzes the major payment card types in terms of both card holding and usage.
- Identifies the major competitors in card issuing and how their position in the market has changed over the last five years.
- Considers consumer attitudes towards prepaid cards, P2P tools, mobile payment tools, and contactless cards, and how companies in the Netherlands are deploying these tools to meet customer needs.
- Explores the online payment market in the Netherlands by merchant type and payment tool, as well as providing a five-year forecast for the development of the market.
- Considers the regulations affecting the payments market and how they are likely to affect both incumbents and disruptors.
- Understand the key facts and figures in the consumer payments market in the Netherlands.
- Find out what products the major competitors are launching in the market and plan your strategy accordingly.
- Discover consumer sentiments towards various payment tools in the Dutch market and use this knowledge to inform product design.
- Learn about the key regulatory requirements affecting Dutch payments players and any recent or upcoming changes to those requirements.
- PROXIMITY PAYMENTS
- REMOTE PAYMENTS
- PAYMENTS INFRASTRUCTURE & REGULATION