Qatar: Rising Data Traffic from LTE Networks and Expanded Fiber Coverage Will Support Revenue Growth Through 2020
The telecom service revenue in Qatar is estimated to grow at a CAGR of 3.6% between 2015-20 driven by growth in the mobile data and broadband segments. One of the major factors for growth of the mobile data will be the high rates of smartphone penetration which exists in the country. The country has a smartphone penetration level of 80% of total population, which is amongst one of the highest in the world. 3G and 4G services were launched in the country in 2006 and 2013 respectively by Ooredoo Qatar. Competition in the Qatari telecom market has been steadily evolving with Vodafone gaining share since its launch in July 2009. Ooredoo is the market incumbent and leader with share of over 70% of total service revenue. Mobile data revenues are estimated to witness a strong growth during 2015-20, as the operators are focussing on LTE and LTE-A rollouts. Pyramid Research expects the overall contribution of mobile data revenue to total telecom service revenue is estimated to grow by around 11 percentage points over 2015-20 to reach 41% by 2020.
- The Qatar telecom market is estimated to generate total telecom services revenue of $2.3bn in 2015 and is estimated to be the fourth largest in the GCC region in 2015. Pyramid Research expects total market revenue in Qatar to grow at a CAGR of 3.6% to reach $2.8bn in 2020.
- The mobile voice segment will contribute 44.6% of total revenue in 2015. We expect to see overall service revenue grow at a CAGR of 3.6% over the 2015-2020 period. Operators continue to roll out LTE (and LTE-A) as the standard for mobile broadband providing further impetus for growth of mobile data, with a projected CAGR of 10.7% over the forecast period and revenue contribution of 41.2% by 2020.
- Competition in the Qatari telecom market has been steadily evolving with Vodafone gaining share since its launch in July 2009. Ooredoo is the market incumbent and leader with share of over 70% of total service revenue.
- Fixed voice services, with total revenue of $372m, will make up 63.0% of total fixed revenue in 2015. Circuit-switched telephony will generate $275m in revenue, while revenue from VoIP services is estimated to increase by 92.4% to reach $97m in 2015.
- IPTV services in Qatar will reach a household penetration rate of 35.1% and will generate $25m in service revenue in 2015. The number of IPTV households will grow 18.7% year-over-year to reach 134,000 by year-end 2015.
“Qatar: Rising Data Traffic from LTE Networks and Expanded Fiber Coverage Will Support Revenue Growth Through 2020” report provides an executive-level overview of the telecommunications market in the Qatar today, with detailed forecasts of key indicators up to 2020. It delivers deep quantitative and qualitative insight into the Qatar’s telecom market, analyzing key trends, evaluating near-term opportunities and assessing risk factors, based on proprietary data from Pyramid Research’s databases.
It provides in-depth analysis of the following:
Reasons To Buy
- Qatar in a regional context; a comparative review of market size and trends with that of other countries in the region.
- Economic, demographic and political context in Qatar.
- The regulatory environment and trends; a review of the regulatory setting and agenda for the next 18-24 months as well as relevant developments pertaining to spectrum licensing, national broadband plans, number portability and more.
- A demand profile; analysis as well as forecasts and historical figures of service revenue from fixed telephony (including VoIP), broadband, mobile voice and data, and pay-TV markets.
- The service evolution; a look at the change in the breakdown of overall revenue by fixed/pay-TV and mobile sectors and by voice, data and video in the current year as well as the end of the forecast period.
- The competitive landscape; an examination of key trends in competition and service providers’ performance, revenue market shares and expected moves over the next 18-24 months.
- An in-depth sector analysis of fixed telephony and broadband services, mobile voice and data services, and pay-TV services; a quantitative analysis of service adoption trends by technology/platform as well as operator, average revenue per line/subscription and service revenue through the end of the forecast period.
- Main opportunities; this section details the near-term opportunities for operators, vendors and investors in the Qatar telecommunications and pay-TV markets.
- Gain in-depth analysis of current strategies and future trends of telecommunications market of Qatar, service providers and key opportunities in a concise format, to build proactive and profitable growth strategies.
- Understand the factors behind ongoing and upcoming trends in Qatar’s mobile communications, fixed telephony and broadband markets, including the evolution of service provider market shares, to align product offerings and strategies to meet customer’s demand.
- Leverage the graphical information (more than 20 charts and tables in the report based on the Pyramid Research forecast products), to gain an overview of the Qatar’s telecom market.
- Contains analysis of key telecom players in the market and major business strategies being adopted by them, to identify the opportunities to improve the market share.
- Explore novel opportunities to align your product strategies and offerings to meet the requirements and succeed in the challenging telecommunications market in Qatar.
- Executive summary
- Market and competitor overview
- Regional context
- Economic, demographic and political context
- Regulatory environment
- Demand profile
- Service evolution
- Competitive landscape
- Major market players
- Segment analysis
- Mobile services
- Fixed services
- Identifying opportunities
- Overall market opportunities
- List of Figures
- Qatar telecom market size and growth prospects in a regional context, 2015 5
- Country indicators
- Regulatory structure and policy
- Major telecommunications policy issues
- Qatar communications market revenue by segment, 2013-2020
- Segment revenue CAGRs, 2015-2020
- Segment revenues 2013-2020
- Service revenue mix: voice, data & video, 2015, 2020
- Service revenue mix: fixed & mobile, 2015, 2020
- Service revenue by operator, 2015
- Key telecom market players
- Major telecommunications market players
- Mobile subscriptions and penetration, 2013-2020
- Key mobile market indicators, 2015
- Mobile data revenue mix, 2015, 2020
- Total mobile ARPS; data percentage of total mobile ARPS, 2013–2020
- Mobile market shares by subscriptions, 2013-2020
- Mobile subscriptions by technology family, 2014-2020
- Fixed-line penetration of population, 2013-2020
- Key fixed market indicators, 2015
- Fixed voice revenue, 2013-2020
- Internet revenue, 2013-2020
- Fixed market shares by service, 2015
- Fixed access lines by technology, 2015, 2020
- Pay-TV subscriptions by technology, 2013-2020
- Opportunities in the Qatari telecommunications market