Mobile Payments : Revenue Models and Market Strategies
“Mobile Payments: Revenue Models and Market Strategies,” a Thematic Research Report by Pyramid Research, examines the predominant service & revenue models in the mobile payments arena, as well as the market approach of selected players, in order to identify effective strategies and key success factors. The analysis is built upon in-depth case studies of selected mobile payments services around the world, including Alipay Wallet, Boku, Dwolla, LevelUp, RURU, Paym, Starbucks and Apple Pay. Our analysis concludes with recommendations on best strategic approaches to maximize the mobile payments revenue opportunity.
- One of the key challenges presently facing the mobile payments market is the high level of market fragmentation, defined both by the multiplicity of platforms/solutions technologies being deployed and the increasing range of service configurations being offered. This slows down merchant acceptance and makes it difficult for providers to gain scale. We expect the market to reach a point where consolidation among players and solutions becomes the best way to drive address this issue.
- Mobile payments are gaining momentum, yet still represent a small portion of total consumer payments. The main barriers to consumer adoption are security and privacy concerns. It is critical for new mobile payments schemes to address this issue and earn consumers’ trust from the start with secure schemes and straightforward use cases.
- Value-added models are becoming popular in the mobile payments arena. We see several players starting to monetize data-driven campaigns engines. Some of the value-added offerings take the form of white-label applications development for vertical industries. We expect this type of model to proliferate given the benefits it brings to all parties.
- The key to successful m-payment applications is the ability to make them pervasive, so users grow to rely on them. Partnerships with ecosystem participants from all sectors (banks, retail, service providers and public sector) are essential to building a ubiquitous network of acceptance points. In addition, having a well-defined pipeline of compelling use cases is key for mobile payment providers to leverage the ecosystem to growth their user base and drive transaction volume.
- To build a viable business amidst the wealth of competing solutions and applications for mobile payments, players must take a strategic approach to the market. There are a number of best practices to generate consumer uptake of mobile payments services and build transaction volume. These focus on four key elements specific to the end-user and merchant’s value proposition, the use case strategy and cross-sector partnerships.
The “Mobile Payments: Revenue Models and Market Strategies” report offers an in-depth examination of the global mobile payments ecosystem dynamics, revenue models and market strategies, highlighting unique challenges faced by the sector and best practices for effectively positioning mobile payments propositions. The report reviews supply and demand considerations for mobile payments providers, and provides specific examples of prevalent service & revenue models, and go-to-market strategies, through case studies of mobile payments players from Belgium, China, East Africa, Mexico, Russia, Sweden, the UK and the US.
The report is structured as follows:
Reasons To Buy
- Section 1: Mobile Payments Market Context, provides an overview of the mobile payments ecosystem and solutions value chain, the companies entering the value chain, supply side constraints & opportunities, and the consumer perspective.
- Section 2: Mobile Payments Strategies examines consumer and merchant use cases and describes the various service and revenue configurations being offered by mobile payments providers around the world, including legacy revenue models, value-added models and closed-loop revenue models. Pros and cons of existing revenue models are illustrated with case examples of selected market players such as America Móvil, Bitcoin, Boku, Dwolla, iZettle, Kopo Kopo, LevelUp and MCX.
- Section 3: Mobile Payments Provider Case Studies is a detailed analysis of the strategic market approach to m-payments from leading players around the world: Alipay Wallet (China), RuRu (Russia), Paym (UK), Starbucks (US/global) and Apple Pay (US/global).
- Section 4: Key Findings and Recommendations. We conclude with a summary of key findings and specific success factors and recommendations for mobile operators looking to increase participation in the mobile payments space.
- The “Mobile Payments: Revenue Models and Market Strategies” report provides a comprehensive examination the nascent mobile payments market opportunity to help executives make informed strategic decisions, develop effective partnerships and optimize return on investment.
- This report provides an in-depth overview of service and revenue model trends in the mobile payments industries, their advantages and limitations, and the related opportunities.
- The report incorporates case studies providing light on the key elements of a strategic market approach to maximize the mobile payments opportunity, and best practices to build robust user and merchant propositions, through compelling use cases and ecosystem partnerships.
TC00032IR - SP.pdf
- Executive Summary
- Section 1: Mobile Payments Market Context
- Report scope & m-payments definition
- Participants in the mobile payments ecosystem
- Solutions across the m-payments solutions value chain
- Competition in m-payments
- Supply dynamics: challenges faced by providers
- Demand dynamics: The end-user perspective
- Section 2: Strategies of Mobile Payments Providers
- Consumer use cases: building a compelling pipeline
- Merchant use cases: Providing value to businesses
- The economics of mobile payments
- Legacy revenue models case studies
- Value-added revenue models case studies
- Closed-loop revenue models case studies
- Section 3: Mobile Payments Provider Case Studies
- Strategic market approach to m-payments
- China: Alipay Wallet
- Russia: RURU (Vimpelcom)
- United Kingdom: PAYm
- US/ Global: Starbucks
- US/ Global: Apple Pay
- Section 4: Key Findings & Recommendations
- Key Findings
- Summary of Success Factors
- Companies Mentioned
- About Pyramid Research
- Pyramid contacts
- Exhibit 1: Mobile payments definition for this report
- Exhibit 2: Players in the mobile payments ecosystem
- Exhibit 3: Mobile payments solutions value chain
- Exhibit 4: Selected companies entering the m-payments solutions value chain
- Exhibit 5: Supply challenges & opportunities
- Exhibit 6: Mobile payments density
- Exhibit 7: Mobile payments share of total payments
- Exhibit 8: Top concerns of m-payments users- global
- Exhibit 9: Top concerns of m-payments users- regional
- Exhibit 10: Expected use of m-payments- next 6 months
- Exhibit 11: Sample pipeline of mobile payments
- Exhibit 12: Merchant m-payments use cases
- Exhibit 13: Revenue models for mobile payments
- Exhibit 14: Legacy revenue models
- Exhibit 15: Bill-to-carrier payment interfaces
- Exhibit 16: Transfer service revenue elements
- Exhibit 17: Value-added revenue models
- Exhibit 18: Kopo Kopo merchant business model
- Exhibit 19: The LevelUp diversified revenue model
- Exhibit 20: iZettle volume-based transaction fees
- Exhibit 21: Closed-loop revenue models
- Exhibit 22: Dwolla mobile payments processing
- Exhibit 23: MCX’s member merchants
- Exhibit 24: Bitcoin daily m-payment transactions
- Exhibit 25: Key focus areas of m-payment providers
- Exhibit 26: Alipay Wallet market approach
- Exhibit 27: China top m-payment providers volume
- Exhibit 28: RURU market approach
- Exhibit 29: RURU Wallet, co-branded with MasterCard
- Exhibit 30: PAYm market approach
- Exhibit 31: PAYm service metrics- first 8 months
- Exhibit 32: Starbucks market approach
- Exhibit 33: Starbucks mobile transaction growth- US
- Exhibit 34: Apple Pay market approach
- Exhibit 35: Apple Pay progress to date- March 2015
- Exhibit 36: Key success factors by strategic element