Japan: Mobile Data Services Drive Growth in a Competitive and Mature Telecom Market
‘Japan: Mobile data services drive growth in competitive a and mature telecom market,’ a new Country Intelligence Report by Pyramid Research, offers a precise, incisive profile of Japan’s mobile and fixed telecommunications and pay-TV markets based on comprehensive proprietary data and insights from our research in the Japanese market. Published annually, this presentation-quality, executive-level report provides detailed analysis of the near-term opportunities, competitive dynamics and evolution of demand by service type and technology/platform across the fixed telephony and broadband, mobile and pay-TV sectors, in addition to a review of key regulatory trends.
- The Japanese telecom services market recorded total telecom service revenue of $137.3bn in 2014, registering a year-over-year decline of 7.2% in US$ terms (revenue was up 0.7% in local currency). Japan is the second largest telecom market in the Asia Pacific region trailing behind China, which reported telecom services revenue of $189.8bn in 2014.
- Increased investments by telcos in LTE (primarily NTT and KDDI which accounted for 69.3% of the country’s total mobile subscriptions) set the stage for growth in mobile data over the forecast. Going forward, we expect NTT and KDDI to lead the market during 2015-20, although KDDI will lose some market share to NTT.
- Japan’s broadband penetration stood at 28.5% in 2014, higher than most of the markets in the region including India, China and Taiwan.
- The Japanese pay-TV market generated $8.7bn in service revenue in 2014. With the year-end 2014 household penetration of 37.4%, or 19.3m subscriptions.
“Japan: Mobile data services drive growth in competitive a and mature telecom market” provides an executive-level overview of the telecommunications market in Japan today, with detailed forecasts of key indicators up to 2019. It delivers deep quantitative and qualitative insight into Japan’s telecom market, analyzing key trends, evaluating near-term opportunities and assessing risk factors, based on proprietary data from Pyramid Research’s databases.It provides in-depth analysis of the following:
Reasons To Buy
- Japan in a regional context; a comparative review of market size and trends with that of other countries in the region.
- Economic, demographic and political context in Japan.
- The regulatory environment and trends; a review of the regulatory setting and agenda for the next 18-24 months as well as relevant developments pertaining to spectrum licensing, national broadband plans, number portability and more.
- A demand profile; analysis as well as forecasts and historical figures of service revenue from fixed telephony (including VoIP), broadband, mobile voice and data, and pay-TV markets.
- The service evolution; a look at the change in the breakdown of overall revenue by fixed/pay-TV and mobile sectors and by voice, data and video in the current year as well as the end of the forecast period.
- The competitive landscape; an examination of key trends in competition and service providers’ performance, revenue market shares and expected moves over the next 18-24 months.
- An in-depth sector analysis of fixed telephony and broadband services, mobile voice and data services, and pay-TV services; a quantitative analysis of service adoption trends by technology/platform as well as operator, average revenue per line/subscription and service revenue through the end of the forecast period.
- Main opportunities; this section details the near-term opportunities for operators, vendors and investors in Japan’s telecommunications and pay-TV markets.
- This Country Intelligence Report helps executives build proactive, profitable growth strategies by offering comprehensive, relevant analysis of Japan’s telecommunications and pay-TV markets based on insights directly from the local market players.
- The report offers a wealth of data on the telecom and pay-TV markets, with the mobile and fixed segments examined in detail.
- The competitive landscape and the major players are given extra attention, enabling local players or prospective market entrants to gain the insight they need.
- The broad but detailed perspective will help operators, equipment vendors and other telecom industry players to succeed in the challenging telecommunications market in Japan.
- The report is designed for an executive-level audience, boasting presentation quality that allows it to be turned into presentable material immediately.
- The report concludes with an exploration of the opportunities available in the Japanese market to operators, vendors and investors.
- Executive summary
- Market and competitor overviewRegional contextEconomic, demographic and political contextRegulatory environmentDemand profileService evolutionCompetitive landscapeMajor market playersSegment analysisMobile servicesFixed servicesPay-TVIdentifying opportunities
- Overall market opportunities