PLUNKETT'S RETAIL INDUSTRY ALMANAC 2019
Plunkett Research analyzes the major trends and technologies in the global Retail Sector. In addition, Plunkett profiles hundreds of the industry’s top firms.
- Industry trends analysis, market data and competitive intelligence
- Market forecasts and Industry Statistics
- Industry Associations and Professional Societies List
- In-Depth Profiles of hundreds of leading companies
- Industry Glossary
- Link to our 5-minute video overview of this industry
Statistical Tables Provided: 15
Companies Profiled: 492
Geographic Focus: GlobalA complete market research report, including forecasts and market estimates, technologies analysis and developments at innovative firms. You will gain vital insights that can help you shape your own strategy for business development, product development and investments.
Contents, Statistics, Forecasts and Analysis Include:
- How is the industry evolving?
- How is the industry being shaped by new technologies?
- How is demand growing in emerging markets and mature economies?
- What is the size of the market now and in the future?
- What are the financial results of the leading companies?
- What are the names and titles of top executives?
- What are the top companies and what are their revenues?
Major Trends Affecting the Retail Industry
1. Introduction to the Retail Industry
2. Wal-Mart Still Dominates the Retail Industry, but Invests in Web Presence to Battle Amazon
3. Department Stores Suffer, While Today’s Consumers Demand Discounts and Convenience
4. Warehouse Clubs and Discount Department Stores Battle for Market Share
5. Private Label Brands Grow in Share of Total Store Sales
6. Diverse Selling Techniques Boost Direct Marketers and Non-Store Sales
7. Apple Sets the Bar for Showcase Stores and Super-Merchandisers
8. Consumers Slowly Increase Borrowing
9. Bricks, Clicks and Catalogs Create Synergies While Online Sales Growth Surges
10. Retail Technologies and Artificial Intelligence Advance for Store Checkout and Restaurant Orders
11. Robotics in Retail
12. Retailers Offer Expedited Delivery to Compete with Amazon
13. RFID Drives Inventory Management Evolution
14. Smartphones and Financial Technology (FinTech) Enable New Mobile Payment Methods
15. Self-Service Apparel Fitting Technologies Grow in Stores and Online
16. Retailers Look for Long-Term Growth in Emerging Markets, Including China and India
17. Retail Center Occupancy Is Challenged as Online Sales Hurt Stores
18. Entertainment-Based Retailing, including Power Towns
19. Malls Remodel to Boost Sales and Attract Shoppers/Store Visitor Counts Are Disappointing
20. Fast Fashion: Designers and Retailers Speed Up
21. LOHAS- Socially Conscious Consumers Create Challenges and Opportunities for Advertisers and Marketers
22. Plus-Size and Vanity Sizing Target Overweight Consumers
23. Discount Clothing Retailers See Promise in Designer Lines
24. Luxury Apparel, Accessories and Consumer Products Lines Compete for Growth
25. Manhattan’s FreshDirect Sets the Pace in Grocery Sales Over the Internet/Amazon Competes in Groceries
26. How to Interpret Reports of Retail SalesRetail Industry Statistics
1. U.S. Retail Industry Statistics and Market Size Overview
2. Annual Consumer Price Index, 1940-2018, U.S.
3. Exports, General Imports & Trade Balance in Goods, U.S.: 1989-3rd Quarter 2018
4. Total U.S. Retail Sales & Annual Percent Change: 1992- September 2018
5. U.S. Retail Trade Corporation Statistics, 2nd Quarter 2018
6. Total Annual Sales of Merchant Wholesalers, U.S.: 2012-2017
7. Total Monthly Sales and Inventories of Merchant Wholesalers, U.S.: January- September 2018
8. Retail & Food Services Sales by Kind of Business, U.S.: Monthly, through September 2018
9. Retail & Food Services Sales by Kind of Business, U.S.: 2012-2017
10. Estimated Quarterly U.S. Retail Sales, Total & E-Commerce: 1st Quarter 2009-3rd Quarter 2018
11. Total U.S. Disposable Income, Expenditures & Gross Domestic & National Product Per Capita: Selected Years, 1960-2017
12. Average Annual Expenditures of All Consumer Households: 2012-2017, U.S.
13. Distribution of Total U.S. Annual Household Expenditures, by Major Category: 2017
14. Resident Population Estimates by Age, U.S.: 2011-2017
15. Employment in the Retail Industry, U.S.: 2010-September 2018