PLUNKETT'S HEALTH CARE INDUSTRY ALMANAC 2022
- Plunkett Research analyzes the top trends changing the industry, and provides in-depth industry statistics. In addition, this publication profiles the top 500 companies in the Health Care Industry.
- Industry trends analysis, market data and competitive intelligence
- Market forecasts and Industry Statistics
- Industry Associations and Professional Societies List
- In-Depth Profiles of hundreds of leading companies
- Industry Glossary
- Link to our 5-minute video overview of this industry
Statistical Tables Provided: 28
Companies Profiled: 499
Geographic Focus: GlobalA complete market research report, including forecasts and market estimates, technologies analysis and developments at innovative firms. You will gain vital insights that can help you shape your own strategy for business development, product development and investments.
Contents, Statistics, Forecasts and Analysis Include:
- How is the industry evolving?
- How is the industry being shaped by new technologies?
- How is demand growing in emerging markets and mature economies?
- What is the size of the market now and in the future?
- What are the financial results of the leading companies?
- What are the names and titles of top executives?
- What are the top companies and what are their revenues?
Major Trends and Technologies Affecting the Health Care Industry
1. Introduction to the Health Care Industry
2. The Coronavirus’ Effect on the Health Care Industry
3. Continued Rise in Health Care Costs
4. Employers Fight Rapidly Growing Health Care Premiums/Require Employees to Pay a Significant Share of Costs
5. Medicare and Medicaid Spending Continue to Surge/More Baby Boomers Hit 65+ Years of Age
6. U.S. Affordable Care Act (ACA) of 2010 Rewrote the Rules and Increased Coverage, But Costs Continue to Rise
7. Accountable Care Organizations (ACOs) and Hospital Mergers Result from the Affordable Care Act/Many Hospital Chains Grow Dramatically in Market Share
8. Concierge Care/Direct Primary Care Are on the Rise/New Twists on House Calls
9. Insurance Companies Change Strategies Due to Affordable Care Act (ACA) and Rapidly Rising Costs of Care
10. Number of Uninsured Americans Declines But Remains High
11. Health Sharing Ministries Attract Millions of Members
12. Massive R&D Investment Required for Development and Approval of New Blockbuster Drugs/Drug Prices Soar
13. Fast Track Drugs Come to Market in the U.S. with FDA Cooperation
14. Generic Drugs Have Biggest Market Share By Unit Volume, but not by Total Revenues
15. Coupons and Other Marketing Schemes Obscure the Retail Prices of Drugs in the U.S., Which Are Vastly Higher than Prices Paid in Other Nations
16. Biotech and Orphan Drugs Create New Revenues for Drug Firms
17. Quality of Care and Health Care Outcomes Data Are Available Online, Creating a New Level of Transparency
18. Malpractice Suits Are Blamed for Rising Health Care Costs/Tort Reform Is Capping Awards for Damages
19. Obesity Sparks Government, School and Corporate Initiatives/Snack Foods Get Healthier/Taxes on Unhealthy Foods
20. Health Care Goes Offshore, Medical Tourism and Clinical Trials Continue in China, India and Elsewhere
21. Retail Clinics, Urgent Care Centers and Employer Sites Increase Health Care Options/Reduce Costs
22. Health Care Industry Grows Rapidly in China, India and MexicoThe Outlook for Health Care Technology:
23. Health Care Technology Introduction
24. Electronic Health Records (EHR) Digitize Patient Records at an Accelerating Pace
25. Telemedicine and Remote Patient Monitoring Rely on Wireless
26. Stem Cells and 3D Printing—A New Era of Regenerative Medicine Takes Shape
27. Health Care Robotics
28. Patients’ Genetic Profiles Plummet in Price as DNA Sequencing Technologies Advance
29. Advances for Cancer Patients in Chemotherapy and Radiation, Including Proton Beams and IMRT
30. Better Imaging, including MRI, PET and 320-Slice CT, Creates Advances in Detection
31. Artificial Intelligence (AI), Deep Learning and Machine Learning Advance into Commercial Applications, Including Health Care and RoboticsHealth Care Industry StatisticsI. U.S. Health Care Industry Overview
U.S. Health Care Industry Statistics and Market Size Overview
Global Health Statistics, 2014-2020
Domestic & Foreign Pharmaceutical Sales, PhRMA Member Companies: 1980-2020
Employment in the Health Care Industry, U.S.: 2016-June 2021
Employment & Earnings in Health Care Practitioner & Technical Occupations, U.S.: May 2020
U.S. FDA New Drug (NDA) and Biologic (BLA) Approvals, 2020
Federal R&D & R&D Plant Funding for Health and Human Services, U.S.: Fiscal Years 2019-2021II. U.S. Health Care Expenditures & Costs
The Nation's Health Dollar: 2020 Where It Came From (Estimated)
The Nation's Health Dollar: 2020 Where It Went (Estimated)
National Health Expenditures & Annual Percent Change, U.S.: 2012-2028
National Health Expenditures by Type of Expenditure with Affordable Care Act Impacts, U.S.: Selected Calendar Years, 2014-2028
Hospital Care Expenditures & Annual Percent Change, U.S.: 2012-2028
Nursing Home Care Expenditures & Annual Percent Change, U.S.: 2012-2028
Home Health Care Expenditures & Annual Percent Change, U.S.: 2012-2028
Prescription Drug Expenditures & Annual Percent Change, U.S.: 2012-2028III. Medicare & Medicaid
Medicare Enrollment, 1970-2095
Medicaid Enrollment & Expenditures for Medical Assistance Payments & Administration: Selected Years,1966-2027IV. U.S. Health Insurance Coverage & The Uninsured
Number & Percent of Persons of All Ages with and without Health Insurance Coverage, U.S.: 2000-2020
Employers' Costs for Health Insurance, Amount & Percent of Total Compensation, U.S.: Selected Years, 2017-2021V. U.S. Vital Statistics & Population Indicators
Prevalence of Obesity Among Adults, by Age, Sex and Race/Ethnicity: U.S., 2018