PLUNKETT'S HEALTH CARE INDUSTRY ALMANAC 2017
- Plunkett Research lists top 500 companies in Health Care and names top trends changing the industry for the mid term.
- Health care costs continue to rise in the U.S. and throughout the developed world. Total U.S. health care expenditures were estimated to be $3.35 trillion in 2016, and are projected to soar to $3.78 trillion in 2018.
- The health care market in the U.S. in 2016 included the major categories of hospital care ($1,067.3 billion), dental physician and clinical services ($881.8 billion), prescription drugs ($453.6 billion), along with nursing home and home health care ($261.5 billion).
- Industry trends analysis, market data and competitive intelligence
- Market forecasts and Industry Statistics
- Industry Associations and Professional Societies List
- In-Depth Profiles of hundreds of leading companies
- Industry Glossary
- Buyer may register for free access to search and export data at Plunkett Research Online
- Link to our 5-minute video overview of this industry
Statistical Tables Provided: 35
Companies Profiled: 501
Geographic Focus: Global
A complete market research report, including forecasts and market estimates, technologies analysis and developments at innovative firms. You will gain vital insights that can help you shape your own strategy for business development, product development and investments.
Contents, Statistics, Forecasts and Analysis Include:
- How is the industry evolving?
- How is the industry being shaped by new technologies?
- How is demand growing in emerging markets and mature economies?
- What is the size of the market now and in the future?
- What are the financial results of the leading companies?
- What are the names and titles of top executives?
- What are the top companies and what are their revenues?
Major Trends and Technologies Affecting the Health Care Industry
1) Introduction to the Health Care Industry
2) Continued Rise in Health Care Costs
3) Employers Fight Rapidly Growing Health Care Premiums/Require Employees to Pay a Significant Share of Costs
4) Medicare and Medicaid Spending Continue to Surge/More Baby Boomers Hit 65+ Years of Age
5) U.S. Affordable Care Act (ACA) of 2010 Rewrote the Rules and Increased Coverage, But Costs Continue to Rise
6) Accountable Care Organizations (ACOs) and Hospital Mergers Result from the Affordable Care Act/Many Hospital Chains Grow Dramatically in Market Share
7) Concierge Care/Direct Primary Care Are on the Rise/New Twists on House Calls
8) Insurance Companies Change Strategies Due to Affordable Care Act (ACA) and Rapidly Rising Costs of Care
9) Number of Uninsured Americans Declines But Remains High
10) New Blockbuster Drugs Come to Market/Drug Prices Soar
11) Generic Drugs Have Major Market Share By Volume, but not by Total Sales
12) Coupons and Other Marketing Schemes Obscure the Retail Prices of Drugs in the U.S., Which Are Vastly Higher than Prices Paid in Other Nations
13) Biotech and Orphan Drugs Create New Revenues for Drug Firms
14) Quality of Care and Health Care Outcomes Data Are Available Online, Creating a NewLevel of Transparency
15) Malpractice Suits Are Blamed for Rising Health Care Costs/Tort Reform Is Capping Awards for Damages
16) Obesity Sparks Government Action/Snack Foods Get Healthier/Taxes on Unhealthy Foods
17) Health Care Goes Offshore, Medical Tourism and Clinical Trials Continue in China, India and Elsewhere
18) Retail Clinics, Urgent Care Centers and Employer Sites Increase Health Care Options/ Reduce Costs
19) Health Care Industry Grows Rapidly in China, India and Mexico The Outlook for Health Care Technology:
20) Health Care Technology Introduction
21) RFID Helps Manage Hospital and Pharmacy Inventories
22) Electronic Health Records (EHR) Digitize Patient Records at an Accelerating Pace
23) Telemedicine and Remote Patient Monitoring Rely on Wireless
24) Stem Cells—Multiple Sources Stem from New Technologies
25) Government Support for Stem Cell Research Evolves
26) Stem Cells—Therapeutic Cloning Techniques Advance
27) Stem Cells—A New Era of Regenerative Medicine Takes Shape
28) Health Care Robotics
29) Patients’ Genetic Profiles Plummet in Price as DNA Sequencing Technologies Advance
30) Advances for Cancer Patients in Chemotherapy and Radiation, Including Proton Beams and IMRT
31) Better Imaging, including MRI, PET and 320-Slice CT, Creates Advances in Detection
32) Nanotechnology Makes Breakthroughs in Health Care
33) Artificial Intelligence (AI), Deep Learning and Machine Learning Advance into Commercial Applications, Including Health Care and Robotics Health Care Industry Statistics
I. U.S. Health Care Industry Overview
1) U.S. Health Care Industry Statistics and Market Size Overview
2) Global Health Statistics, 2010-2016
3) Affordable Care Act Overview
4) Domestic & Foreign Pharmaceutical Sales, PhRMA Member Companies: 1980-2015
5) Employment in the Health Care Industry, U.S.: 2011-June 2016
6) Employment & Earnings in Health Care Practitioner & Technical Occupations, U.S.: May 2015
7) Employment & Earnings in Health Care Support Occupations, U.S.: May 2015
8) The U.S. Drug Discovery & Approval Process
9) U.S. FDA New Drug (NDA) and Biologic (BLA) Approvals, 2015
10) Federal R&D & R&D Plant Funding for National Institutes of Health, U.S.: Fiscal Years 2014-2016 II. U.S. Health Care Expenditures & Costs
III. Medicare & Medicaid
- 1) The Nation's Health Dollar: 2016 Where It Came From (Estimated)
2) The Nation's Health Dollar: 2016 Where It Went (Estimated)
3) National Health Expenditures & Annual Percent Change, U.S.: 2009-2025
4) National Health Expenditures by Type of Expenditure with Affordable Care Act Impacts, U.S.: Selected Calendar Years, 2010-2025
5) Hospital Care Expenditures & Annual Percent Change, U.S.: 2009-2025
6) Hospital Care Expenditures, Percent Distribution & Per Capita Amount, U.S.: 2009-2025
7) Nursing Home Care Expenditures & Annual Percent Change, U.S.: 2009-2025
8) Nursing Home Care Expenditures, Percent Distribution & Per Capita Amount, U.S.: 2009-2025
9) Home Health Care Expenditures & Annual Percent Change, U.S.: 2009-2025
10) Home Health Care Expenditures, Percent Distribution & Per Capita Amount, U.S.: 2009-2025
11) Prescription Drug Expenditures, U.S.: 1995-2025
12) Prescription Drug Expenditures & Annual Percent Change, U.S.: 2009-2025
13) Prescription Drug Expenditures, Percent Distribution & Per Capita Amount, U.S.: 2009-2025
IV. U.S. Health Insurance Coverage & The Uninsured
- 1) Medicare Enrollment, 1970-2090
2) Medicare Cost & Non-Interest Income by Source as a Percent of GDP, 1970-2090
3) Medicare Beneficiaries with Prescription Drug Coverage, Summary Report: August 2016
4) Medicaid Enrollment & Expenditures for Medical Assistance Payments & Administration: Selected Years, 1966-2024
5) Medicaid Enrollment and Expenditures, by Enrollment Group: Fiscal Year 2014
V. U.S. Vital Statistics & Population Indicators
- 1) Number & Percent of Persons of All Ages with and without Health Insurance Coverage, U.S.: 1999-2015
2) Number & Percent of Persons without Health Insurance Coverage, by Age Group, U.S.: 1999-2015
3) Medical Care Benefits in the U.S.: Access, Participation and Take-Up Rates, March 2016
4) Employers' Costs for Health Insurance, Amount & Percent of Total Compensation, U.S.: Selected Years, 2010-2015
- 1) Life Expectancy at Age 65, U.S.
2) Current Cigarette Smoking by Persons 18 Years of Age & Over, U.S.: 1997-2015
3) Prevalence of Obesity Among Adults, by Age, Sex and Race/Ethnicity: U.S., 2015