PLUNKETT'S ENGINEERING & RESEARCH INDUSTRY ALMANAC 2016
- Plunkett Research lists top 500 companies in Engineering & Research and names top trends changing the industry for the mid term.
- South Korea is a world leader in research and development in a wide variety of technical sectors, and it is pushing ahead boldly into biotechnology.
- South Korea’s R&D spending was $64.3 billion, or 3.6% of GDP in 2014, while 2015 spending was an estimated $74.5 billion, or 4.0% of GDP.
- Industry trends analysis, market data and competitive intelligence
- Market forecasts and Industry Statistics
- Industry Associations and Professional Societies List
- In-Depth Profiles of hundreds of leading companies
- Industry Glossary
- Buyer may register for free access to search and export data at Plunkett Research Online
- Link to our 5-minute video overview of this industry
Statistical Tables Provided: 26
Companies Profiled: 505
Geographic Focus: Global
A complete market research report, including forecasts and market estimates, technologies analysis and developments at innovative firms. You will gain vital insights that can help you shape your own strategy for business development, product development and investments.
Contents, Statistics, Forecasts and Analysis Include:
- How is the industry evolving?
- How is the industry being shaped by new technologies?
- How is demand growing in emerging markets and mature economies?
- What is the size of the market now and in the future?
- What are the financial results of the leading companies?
- What are the names and titles of top executives?
- What are the top companies and what are their revenues?
Major Trends Affecting the Engineering & Research Industry
1) Introduction to the Engineering & Research Industry
2) A Short History of U.S. Industrial Research & Development
3) R&D Expands in Chinese Research Parks/Patent Filings Soar
4) Outsourcing and Offshoring of Research, Development and Engineering Grow Along With Globalization
5) Original Design Manufacturing (ODM) Adds Value to Contract Electronics Manufacturing
6) The State of the Biotechnology Industry Today
7) From Korea to India to Singapore to China, Nations Compete Fiercely in Biotech Development
8) Government Support for Stem Cell Research Evolves
9) Government and Private Nanotechnology Research Funding Is Substantial
10) Nanotechnology Converges with Biotech
11) Globalization and Worldwide Collaboration Fuel the Research Efforts of Major Corporations
12) Number of Patent Applications Remains High/Patent Laws Change
13) 3D Printing (Additive Manufacturing), Rapid Prototyping and Computer Aided Design
14) Fuel Cell and Hydrogen Power Research Continues/Fuel Cell Cars Enter Market
15) Electric Cars and Plug-in Hybrids (PHEVs) Enter Market in Low Numbers
16) Major Research in Advanced Lithium Batteries/Tesla and Panasonic Plan Gigafactory
17) The Future: Pervasive Computing and Complete Mobility Will Be Standard
18) Supercomputing Hits 33.86 Petaflops/IBM’s Watson Expands Commercial Applications for Big Data
19) Superconductivity Provides Advanced Electricity Distribution Technology
20) Massive Funding for Nuclear Fusion Projects
21) Private Space Vehicles Begin to Fly, Including the SpaceShipTwo, but 2014 Crash May Slow Development
22) Technology Discussion—Synthetic Biology
23) The Future of Transportation and Supply Chains: Massive Investments in Infrastructure, Growing Traffic and Adoption of Smarter Technologies
24) HPTP Thermoplastics, Thermoset and Engineered Plastics Enable Advanced Products/Nanocomposites Offer the Ultimate in Advanced Materials
25) Artificial Intelligence (AI), Deep Learning and Machine Learning Advance into Commercial Applications, Including Health Care and RoboticsEngineering & Research Industry Statistics
1) Engineering & Research Industry Statistics and Market Size Overview
2) Quarterly Engineering & Research Industry Revenues, U.S.: 2015
3) Engineering & Scientific Research & Development Services: Estimated Sources of Revenue, U.S.: 2009-2014
4) National R&D Expenditures & R&D as a Percentage of GDP, by Country: Selected Years, 1985-2014
5) Federal Funding for R&D by Character of Work, U.S.: Selected Fiscal Years, 1975-2016
6) Federal R&D Budget & Distribution by Funding Category, U.S.: Fiscal Years 2013-2016
7) Federal R&D & R&D Plant Funding for National Defense, U.S.: Fiscal Years 2014-2016
8) Federal R&D & R&D Plant Funding for National Institutes of Health, U.S.: Fiscal Years 2014-2016
9) Federal R&D & R&D Plant Funding for Space Flight, Research & Supporting Activities, U.S.: Fiscal Years 2014-2016
10) NASA Budget Appropriations & Projections: 2015-2021
11) Federal R&D & R&D Plant Funding for General Science & Basic Research, U.S.: Fiscal Years 2014-2016
12) Federal R&D & R&D Plant Funding for Natural Resources & Environment, U.S.: Fiscal Years 2014-2016
13) Federal R&D & R&D Plant Funding for Agriculture, U.S.: Fiscal Years 2014-2016
14) Federal R&D & R&D Plant Funding for Transportation, U.S.: Fiscal Years 2014-2016
15) Federal R&D & R&D Plant Funding for Energy, U.S.: Fiscal Years 2014-2016
16) U.S. Department of Energy Funding for Science & Energy Programs: 2014-2016
17) U.S. National Nanotechnology Initiative (NNI) Budget: Fiscal Years 2015-2017
18) Research Funding for Biological Sciences, U.S. National Science Foundation: Fiscal Years 2015-2017
19) Research Funding for Engineering, U.S. National Science Foundation: Fiscal Years 2015-2017
20) Domestic U.S. Biopharmaceutical R&D & R&D Abroad, PhRMA Member Companies: 1980-2014
21) Top Foreign Countries by Number of Residents Receiving U.S. Patents: 2015
22) Top 30 U.S. Patent Recipient Organizations: 2015
23) Major Patenting U.S. Universities: 2015
24) The U.S. Drug Discovery & Approval Process
25) Employment in Engineering Occupations by Business Type, U.S.: 2011-2015
26) Employment in Life & Physical Science Occupations by Business Type, U.S.: May 2015