Vietnam - Mobile Infrastructure - Broadband, Operators - Statistics and Analyses
Growth has been flat in Vietnam's mobile market over the past five years. Market growth has been restrained due to a mature and saturated market. Mobile subscriber growth is also expected to be relatively low over the next five years to 2022.
By 2017, all five major mobile operators had been issued 4G licenses, and by early 2018 4G rollouts were well underway. 4G access will open up many opportunities for rural residents to learn, consume entertainment, find jobs and generally narrow the gap between urban and rural areas.
Apart from the fluctuating subscriber numbers, the mobile market has been characterised by decreasing profits and a fall in investment capital, as well as a drop in tax payments by operators.
Vietnam has seen a very rapid increase in mobile broadband penetration over the past five years driven by a rising level of 3G and 4G mobile subscribers. However the mobile broadband market is still at a relatively early stage of development. Strong growth is predicted over the next five years to 2022.
MobiFone and VNPT were directed by the MIC to complete equitisation (a process by which its shares are sold) in 2018 and 2019.
Viettel Global announced plans to expand its footprint to Indonesia and Nigeria.
Vietnam has seen a very rapid increase in mobile broadband penetration over the past five years.
Companies mentioned in this report:
VNPT; Vinaphone; Mobifone; Viettel; GTel Mobile; Viettel; Vietnamobile
- 1. Synopsis
- 2. Market Overview and Analysis
- 3. Mobile Statistics and Forecasts
- 4. Mobile Broadband Statistics and Forecasts
- 5. Regulatory Issues
- 5.1 Numbering
- 5.2 Registration of prepaid services/SIM cards
- 5.3 Mobile Number Portability (MNP)
- 6. Mobile infrastructure
- 6.1 Digital networks
- 6.1.1 GSM and CDMA
- 6.1.2 3G
- 6.1.3 4G / LTE
- 7. Major Mobile Operators
- 7.1 Operator Statistics
- 7.2 VNPT Historic overview
- 7.3 MobiFone
- 7.4 VNPT-Vinaphone
- 7.5 Viettel
- 7.5.1 International business
- 7.6 Vietnamobile
- 7.7 GTel Mobile
- 7.8 Mobile Virtual Network Operators (MVNOs)
- 8. Mobile Content and Applications
- 8.1 M-Commerce
- 8.2 M-Banking
- 8.3 Mobile Apps
- 8.4 Other m-content
- 9. Mobile Handsets
- 10. Related reports
- Table 1 Mobile Subscribers and Penetration (with Forecast) 2007 - 2022
- Table 2 Historic - mobile subscribers 1995 - 2006
- Table 3 Total 3G mobile subscribers 2012 - 2017
- Table 4 Mobile services revenue 2003 - 2016
- Table 5 Mobile services sector estimated ARPU 1998 - 2016
- Table 6 Mobile Broadband Subscribers and Penetration (with Forecast) 2010 - 2022
- Table 7 Mobile operators networks
- Table 8 Mobile subscribers and market share by operator - 2017
- Table 9 Historic - VNPT subscribers 1998 2014
- Table 10 MobiFone subscribers 1998 - 2017
- Table 11 VNPT - Vinaphone subscribers 1998 - 2017
- Table 12 Viettel subscribers 2004 - 2017
- Table 13 Historic - HT Mobile (CDMA) subscribers 2006 - 2009
- Table 14 Vietnamobile (GSM) subscribers 2009 - 2017
- Table 15 Historic - Gmobile (Beeline) subscribers 2009 - 2017
- Chart 1 Mobile Subscribers and Penetration (with Forecast) 2007 - 2022
- Chart 2 Mobile Broadband Subscribers and Penetration (with Forecast) 2010 - 2022