Thailand - Mobile Infrastructure, Broadband, Operators - Statistics and Analyses
4G services continue to be rolled out in Thailand. TrueCorp will invest significantly in its 4G LTE over two years to 2018. AIS launched 4G LTE services as it switched on LTE-Advanced (LTE-A) network technology covering Bangkok. AIS won the re-auction of a 900MHz technology-neutral (4G) mobile spectrum licence.
Mobile broadband grew very strongly in Thailand from 2012 to 2014, with penetration increasing from 11% in 2012 to 80% in 2014, in line with a growing mobile subscriber market. However since then penetration has subsided to 74% in 2016, in line with contraction in the mobile subscriber market.
Thailand's mobile market is highly saturated and mature. Market penetration has peaked in 2014 at 146% and has declined over the next two years to 132% in 2015 and 128% in 2016 due to market consolidation. The market is expected to see slow growth over the next five years to 2021.
Competition for subscribers intensified with all operators progressively cutting tariffs; this in turn squeezed profit margins. The result has been continuously falling Average Revenue per User (ARPU). The introduction of customer retention programs coupled with value-added services has significantly reduced the high churn levels experienced in earlier years.
More work needs to be done on the regulatory front. This report presents an overview of the Thai mobile market, including some pertinent statistics. It also includes scenario forecasts for mobile subscribers.
Mobile subscriber penetration saw a significant fall in 2014 to 2016.
DTAC has a THB14 billion investment in 3G/4G network expansion totalling 6,500 sites nationwide.
NTT Com has launched a mobile data-only service for corporations in Thailand under a MVNO licence.
AIS launched 4G LTE services as it switched on LTE-Advanced (LTE-A) network technology covering Bangkok.
AIS won the re-auction of a 900MHz technology-neutral (4G) mobile spectrum licence.
Companies covered in this report include:
TOT Corp; CAT Telecom; True Corp; True Move; TT&T; AIS; DTAC; Hutchison CAT.
- 1. Synopsis
- 2. Market Overview and analysis
- 2.1 Competition
- 3. Mobile statistics
- 3.1 General statistics
- 3.2 Mobile voice
- 3.3 Mobile data
- 3.3.1 SMS
- 3.3.2 MMS
- 3.3.3 OTT messaging services
- 3.4 Mobile broadband statistics
- 3.5 Forecasts - Mobile subscribers 2016; 2018; 2021
- 3.5.1 Notes on scenario forecasts
- 4. Regulatory issues
- 4.1 CAT Telecom / TrueMove partnership
- 4.2 National security
- 4.3 Frequency spectrum issues
- 4.4 Tariffs
- 4.5 Interconnection charges
- 4.6 3G roaming agreements
- 4.7 Mobile Number Portability (MNP)
- 5. Mobile infrastructure
- 5.1 Mobile Technologies
- 5.2 Analogue Networks
- 5.2.1 General Packet Radio Service (GPRS)
- 5.3 Digital networks
- 5.3.1 3G
- 5.3.2 4G / LTE
- 5.3.3 Vo-WiFi
- 5.4 Other infrastructure developments
- 6. Major mobile operators
- 6.1 Operators
- 6.2 Advanced Info Service (AIS)
- 6.2.1 Overview
- 6.2.2 4G LTE strategy
- 6.3 DTAC
- 6.3.1 Overview
- 6.3.2 Statistics
- 6.3.3 3G strategy
- 6.3.4 4G strategy
- 6.4 TrueMove
- 6.4.1 Overview
- 6.4.2 Statistics
- 6.4.3 3G/4G strategies
- 6.5 Telephone Organization of Thailand Corp (TOT)
- 6.6 Communications Authority of Thailand (CAT)
- 6.7 TT&T
- 6.8 Jas Mobile
- 6.9 MVNOs
- 6.9.1 Loxley's MVNO service
- 6.9.2 AirAsia
- 6.9.3 I-Mobile Plus
- 6.9.4 365 Communications
- 6.9.5 NTT
- 7. Mobile content and applications
- 7.1 m-banking (payments/loans)
- 7.2 m-TV
- 8. Related reports
- Table 1 Mobile subscribers, penetration and annual growth 1999 - 2016
- Table 2 Mobile services revenue and ARPU 1998 - 2016
- Table 3 Historical Mobile subscribers prepaid and postpaid 2006 - 2013
- Table 4 Mobile broadband subscribers 2011 - 2016
- Table 5 Forecast mobile subscriber growth 2016; 2018; 2021
- Table 6 Mobile operators and systems
- Table 7 Mobile subscribers by Mobile Operator and Market Share 2016
- Table 8 AIS: Historical subscribers and market share 2004; 2007 - 2014
- Table 10 AIS: ARPU (postpaid, prepaid and blended) 2007 - 2016
- Table 11 DTAC: total mobile subscribers and market share 2002 - 2016
- Table 12 DTAC: ARPU (postpaid, prepaid and blended) 2014 - 2016
- Table 13 Historic - DTAC: ARPU (postpaid, prepaid and blended) 2008 - 2014
- Table 14 True Move: total mobile subscribers and market share 2004 - 2016
- Table 15 Historic - True Move: ARPU (postpaid, prepaid and blended) 2007 - 2014
- Table 16 Historic - TOT's fixed-line subscribers 2005 - 2013
- Chart 1 Mobile subscribers and penetration 2002 - 2016
- Exhibit 1 Major mobile operators and foreign shareholders
- Exhibit 2 Major Mobile Operators by Market Segment