Sri Lanka - Telecoms, Mobile and Broadband - Statistics and Analyses
Sri Lanka's makes significant progress in its IoT ventures
In 2018 the government's Board of Investment of Sri Lanka formally approved a significant investment for network expansion and upgrade work on 4G mobile and fixed broadband services.
Fixed broadband penetration in Sri Lanka remains very low mainly due to the dominance of the mobile platform and the limited and declining number of fixed lines is restricting more widespread development of fixed broadband. However, the market has grown strongly over the past five years from a very small base. Over the next five years to 2023 strong growth is expected to continue.
Sri Lanka's mobile market has experienced strong growth over the last six years. Slow growth is predicted over the next five years to 2023. The market will be constrained from higher growth due to very strong local competition and a highly saturated mobile market.
The market is now moving from 4G towards 5G mobile services. Dialog Axiata has carried out a 5G' network capability trial with technology partners Ericsson and Huawei in Colombo. The demonstration included a range of 5G solutions including Massive MIMO, cloud radio and IoT-based smart parking and real time 4K video streaming.
Dialog Axiata has claimed South Asia's first launch of a NB-IoT-enabled network supporting IoT solutions such as Connected Home and Car Connect. Mobitel has completed a further round of proof-of-concept (PoC) tests of LTE-Advanced Pro (LTE-A Pro) technology in Colombo.
Sri Lanka has seen a very strong increase in mobile broadband penetration over the past six years, driven by a rising level of 4G mobile subscribers. However, the mobile broadband market is still at an early stage of development with penetration well below most other developed Asian countries. Strong growth is predicted over the next five years to 2023.
Dialog Axiata has claimed South Asia's first launch of a NB-IoT-enabled network.
Mobitel has completed a further round of proof-of-concept (PoC) tests of LTE-Advanced Pro.
The market is now moving from 4G towards 5G mobile services.
Fixed broadband penetration in Sri Lanka remains very low mainly due to the dominance of the mobile platform.
Sri Lanka has seen a very strong increase in mobile broadband penetration over the past five years.
Companies mentioned in this report:
SLT (Sri Lanka Telecom), Mobitel, Dialog Axiata; Etisalat Sri Lanka; Hutchison Lanka; Bharti Airtel Lanka; SLT, Lanka Bell, Suntel.
- EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- KEY STATISTICS
- Table Top Level Country Statistics and Telco Authorities – 2018 (e)
- Table Percentage of Population covered by type of mobile network
- COUNTRY OVERVIEW
- TELECOMMUNICATIONS MARKET
- MARKET OVERVIEW AND ANALYSIS
- Table Key Metrics - Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) - 2018 - 2023
- REGIONAL ASIAN MARKET COMPARISON
- REGULATORY ENVIRONMENT
- TELECOMMUNICATIONS REGULATORY COMMISSION (TRC)
- NATIONAL POLICY ON TELECOMMUNICATIONS
- FIXED NETWORK OPERATORS
- OVERVIEW OF OPERATORS
- Table Number of telecom operator licences by category - 2018
- Table Historic - Fixed-line operators and subscribers – 2011 - 2014
- SLT (SRI LANKA TELECOM)
- Table SLT fixed broadband subscribers – 2015 - 2018
- Table Historic - SLT fixed-line subscribers
- LANKA BELL
- Table Historic - Lanka Bell fixed-line subscribers – 1999 - 2014
- DIALOG BROADBAND NETWORKS (DBN)
- Table Historic - DBN fixed-line subscribers – 2008 - 2014
- TELECOMMUNICATIONS INFRASTRUCTURE
- FIXED-LINE STATISTICS
- Table Fixed line subscriptions and penetration – 2007 - 2018
- Table Historic – fixed-line subscribers, annual change and penetration – 1995 - 2005
- Table Historic - Fixed subscribers – wireline and wireless (WLL) - 2009 - 2016
- NATIONAL BROADBAND NETWORK
- OTHER DEVELOPMENTS
- Wireless Local Loop (WLL)
- Table Historic - WLL subscribers – 1996 - 2016
- Fibre optic networks
- Fibre to the Building (FttB)
- INTERNATIONAL INFRASTRUCTURE
- DATA CENTRES
- FIXED-LINE BROADBAND MARKET
- FIXED BROADBAND STATISTICS AND MARKET FORECAST
- Table Fixed broadband subscribers (with forecast) – 2007 - 2023
- Table Historic - Fixed broadband subscribers and penetration – 2002 - 2011
- Table Historic - DSL subscribers – 2003 - 2014
- Table Internet users and penetration (with forecast) – 2007 - 2018
- Table Historic - Internet users, annual change and penetration – 1996 - 2012
- Table Fixed internet subscribers – 1994 - 2018
- Table International internet bandwidth and annual growth– 1998 - 2017
- FIXED-LINE BROADBAND TECHNOLOGIES
- Digital Subscriber Line (DSL) networks
- Wireless broadband/WiMAX
- MOBILE MARKET
- MOBILE STATISTICS AND MARKET FORECAST
- Table Mobile subscribers and penetration (with forecast) – 2007 - 2023
- Table Historic - Mobile subscribers, annual change and penetration – 1995 - 2010
- MOBILE BROADBAND STATISTICS AND MARKET FORECAST
- Table Mobile broadband subscribers and penetration (with forecast) – 2009 - 2023
- MOBILE REGULATORY ISSUES
- MOBILE INFRASTRUCTURE
- MAJOR MOBILE OPERATORS
- Table Mobile operators and systems
- Table Mobile operator subscribers and market share - 2018
- Table Mobile operator subscribers and market share - 2017
- DIALOG AXIATA
- Table Dialog Axiata prepaid /postpaid subscribers and market share – 2004 - 2018
- Table Dialog Axiata ARPU – 2007 - 2018
- Table Mobitel subscribers – 2004 - 2018
- Table Mobitel annual revenue – 2015 - 2017
- ETISALAT SRI LANKA
- Table Etisalat Sri Lanka subscribers - 2004 - 2017
- HUTCHISON LANKA
- Table Hutchison Lanka subscribers – 2006 - 2017
- BHARTI AIRTEL LANKA
- Table Bharti Airtel Lanka subscribers – 2009 - 2017
- MOBILE CONTENT AND APPLICATIONS
- SMART INFRASTRUCTURE
- INTERNET OF THINGS (IOT)
- SMART CITIES
- DIGITAL ECONOMY
- School Net project
- Connect To Learn Project in Kandy
- DIGITAL MEDIA
- Table Historic - Key broadcasting statistics - 2016
- PROJECT LOON
- DIGITAL TERRESTRIAL TV (DTT)
- RELATED REPORTS