South Korea - Telecoms Infrastructure, Operators, Regulations - Statistics and Analyses
South Korea has transformed its economy to one that is more progressively knowledge based. It has invested significantly in telecommunications infrastructure over past decades.
South Korea is ranked 1st out of 34 with an Asian Telecoms Maturity Index score of 92. (BuddeComm's Asian Telecoms Maturity Index, is an index (on a scale between 0 and 100) that measures and ranks the relative maturity of the telecoms industry in all of the 34 countries in Asia.) Compared to other Asian nations, South Korea has an extremely high mobile and mobile broadband penetration and very high fixed broadband penetration.
Fixed lines in South Korea have been gradually declining over the past five years. This trend is predicted to continue over the next five years to 2023.
South Korea has one of the world's most active telecommunications and Information Technology (IT) markets backed by strong support from the government. As well as the commitment of the government, the sector is boosted by an innovative private sector and a technologically savvy population. Spending on ICT and high-technology equipment helped lead a transformation of the economy. The government aims to transform the country into a knowledge-based information society in a smart-age'.
Huawei has partnered with LG U+. for the launch of Seoul TechCity as part of its commitment to drive smart city efforts. The Seoul TechCity collaborative project aims to deliver smart city capabilities for the Korean capital.
This report provides an overview of the South Korean telecoms market, including key statistics and infrastructure investments.
SK Telecom became the first South Korean mobile operator to test autonomous cars on public roads.
Huawei has partnered with LG U+. for the launch of Seoul TechCity.
Fixed lines in South Korea have been gradually declining over the past five years.
Companies covered in this report include:
KT; LG U+; SK Broadband; SK Telecom
- 1. Synopsis
- 2. Key statistics
- 3. Country overview3.1 Background3.2 South Korea's economy
- 4. Telecommunications market4.1 Market Overview and Analysis4.2 Regional Asian Market Comparison4.3 Background
- 5. Regulatory environment5.1 Regulatory authority
- 5.1.1 KCC Overview and responsibilities5.1.2 KCC related laws
- 6. Fixed network operators6.1 Overview6.2 KT Corp6.3 LG U+
- 7. Telecommunications infrastructure7.1 Overview of the national telecom network
- 7.1.1 Internet eXchange (IX)7.1.2 National submarine cable infrastructure
- 7.2 International infrastructure
- 7.2.1 International submarine cable infrastructure
- 7.3 Smart infrastructure
- 7.3.1 IoT7.3.2 Smart grids7.3.3 Smart cities7.3.4 Connected / Smart homes7.3.5 Driverless Cars
- 8. Related reportsTable 1 Country Statistics, Major Operators and Telco Authorities 2018 (e)Table 2 Top Level Country Statistics 2018 (e)Table 3 KT Corp - Total fixed Voice - PSTN and VoIP lines subscribers 1991 - 2018Table 4 KT Corp's fixed-line subscribers (PSTN) (millions) 2004 - 2018Table 5 KT Corp's VoIP subscribers 2008 - 2018Table 6 LG U+ fixed-line (PSTN and VoIP) subscribers 2005 - 2018Table 7 Fixed Line Subscriptions and Penetration 2007 - 2018Table 8 Historic - Fixed lines in service and penetration 1991 2007Table 9 International bandwidth 1997 - 2017Table 10 Smart grid investmentsChart 1 Mobile, Mobile Broadband & Fixed Broadband Penetration 2018; 2023Chart 2 Asian Telecoms Maturity Index by Market CategoryChart 3 Asian Telecoms Maturity Index Northern AsiaChart 4 Asian Telecoms Maturity Index vs GDP per CapitaChart 5 Fixed Broadband vs Mobile Penetration - Northern Asia (selected countries)Chart 6 Fixed Line Subscriptions and Penetration 2007 - 2018Exhibit 1 Map of South Korea Exhibit 2 Key Market Characteristics by Market SegmentExhibit 3 Northern Asia -Key Characteristics of Telecoms Markets by CountryExhibit 4 Significant telecoms operators in South KoreaExhibit 5 Interconnection status by IX Exhibit 6 National submarine fibre optic cables overview in South KoreaExhibit 7 International submarine fibre optic cables overview in South KoreaExhibit 8 Smart grid implementation areasExhibit 9 Phased implementation plan of Jeju Smart Grid