South Korea - Fixed Broadband, Digital Economy and Digital Media - Statistics and Analyses
South Korea has the world's highest number of broadband services per capita. Korea's policy emphasis has been to establish an Ultra Broadband convergence Network (UBcN) with 1Gb/s speeds on fixed lines and 10Mb/s on wireless.
Fixed-line broadband market penetration has grown slowly over the past five years in a highly mature market. Over the next five years to 2022 growth is expected to continue to increase slowly.
SK Telecom announced the introduction of a new technology for the next generation of Wi-Fi that it claims can deliver downlink speeds as fast as 5G technology'.
This report provides an overview of South Korea's broadband market, government initiatives and technologies including cable modem, DSL, FttH, Apartment-LAN, and WiBro. IPTV statistics are included as well as broadband forecasts to 2022 and statistics on market share of the major broadband providers.
The Korean government has developed and demonstrated broadband-based services like e-health, e-learning, e-government and u-City. E-health services are provided to remote island regions of Korea. In this way, broadband has been used as a method to narrow the gap between rich and poor and among classes and regions.
This report also looks at various aspects of the digital economy in South Korea that support the drive to converged services. It includes information on e-commerce users, e-banking and e-government. It also contains information on internet usage patterns.
Three operators hold over 80% of the Korean broadband market: KT, SK Broadband and LGU+.
KT as the incumbent has held on to its dominant market share position.
SK Telecom announced a new technology for the next generation of Wi-Fi.
Over the next five years to 2022 fixed broadband growth is expected to continue to increase slowly.
Companies covered in this report include:
SK Broadband, KT, LG U+, Hanaro Telecom
- 1. Synopsis
- 2. Introduction and statistical overview
- 2.1 Market Overview and analysis
- 3. Broadband statistics and Forecasts
- 3.1 Broadband subscribers by access type
- 3.2 Internet users
- 3.3 Internet usage patterns
- 4. Broadband Technologies
- 4.1 Overview
- 4.2 Cable modem
- 4.3 Digital Subscriber Line (DSL)
- 4.4 Apartment LAN
- 4.5 Fibre-to-the-Home
- 5. Fixed Broadband operators
- 5.1 Operator Statistics
- 5.2 Background
- 5.3 KT Corp
- 5.4 SK Broadband
- 5.5 LG U+
- 6. Fixed Wireless services
- 6.1 WiMAX
- 6.1.1 WiBro deployments and investments
- 6.2 WiFi
- 7. Digital economy
- 7.1 e-Commerce
- 7.2 e-Banking
- 7.3 e-Government
- 7.3.1 Next Generation e-government plan: 2008 - 2012
- 7.3.2 E-Government Global Academy (eGGA) established in South Korea
- 8. Digital Media
- 8.1.1 Cable TV (CATV)
- 8.1.2 Satellite infrastructure
- 8.2 Videostreaming
- 8.2.1 IPTV
- 8.3 Communications: VoIP, messaging, conferencing
- 8.3.1 Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP)
- 9. Related reports
- Table 1 Fixed Broadband Subscribers and Penetration (with Forecast) 2007 - 2022
- Table 2 Historic - Fixed broadband subscriber growth and penetration rate 1999 - 2006
- Table 3 Historic - Broadband internet subscriber numbers by system 1998 - 2016
- Table 4 Internet Users and Penetration 2007 - 2017
- Table 5 Historic - Internet usage rates by service 2011 2015
- Table 6 Historic - Main purpose of using the internet 2010 2013; 2015
- Table 7 Historic - Cable modem subscribers 1999 2016
- Table 8 Historic - Broadband cable modem (HFC) subscribers by service provider 2015
- Table 9 Historic - DSL subscribers 1999 2016
- Table 10 Historic - DSL subscribers by service provider 2015
- Table 11 A-LAN subscribers 2002 - 2016
- Table 12 Historic - A-LAN subscribers by service provider 2015
- Table 13 Historic - FttH subscribers 2006 - 2016
- Table 14 Historic - FttH subscribers by service provider 2015
- Table 15 Broadband subscribers market share by operator (millions) 2005 - 2017
- Table 16 Broadband market share by operator 2005 2017
- Table 17 LG U+ broadband subscribers 2004 - 2017
- Table 18 IPTV subscribers by operator 2006 - 2017
- Table 19 Historic - South Korea VoIP subscribers
- Chart 1 Fixed Broadband Subscribers and Penetration (with Forecast) 2007 - 2022
- Chart 2 Internet Users and Penetration 2007 - 2017
- Chart 3 Broadband market share by operator 2005 - 2017
- Exhibit 1 Comparison of WiBro and mobile technologies in South Korea
- Exhibit 2 E-government stages: 1980s - present
- Exhibit 3 KOREASAT satellite status