Singapore - Telecoms, Mobile and Broadband - Statistics and Analyses
Singapore’s Mobile Market Set for Heightened Competition
Singapore has developed the status of a world leader in telecommunications through the building of a high-quality network and an extremely progressive regulatory environment for the local telecommunications sector.
The Next Generation Broadband Network (NGNBN) roll out and deployment in Singapore has effectively been completed and there continues rapid take-up of fibre-based services.
Singapore has been working to shape itself into what it says will be the world’s first ‘Smart Nation’ where data and analytics play a critical role in its society and economy.
Singapore’s smart nation projects now include smart sensor networks for water and air, smart logistics that enable interoperability standards throughout the supply chain, and smart sensors in the homes of the elderly or chronically ill.
Infocomm Media 2025 is an integrated plan to guide the development of Singapore’s infocomm media sectors over the next 10 years. Singtel via partnerships has spearheaded research and development efforts in emerging technologies, including artificial intelligence, data analytics, robotics and the Internet of Things.
Singtel launched its FutureNow Innovation Centre (FIC) to help enterprises accelerate their digital transformation. The FIC is a key innovation platform, designed to support the Government’s Industry Transformation Maps (ITMs) focusing on Singapore’s six key industry clusters.
The government launched its Next Generation National Broadband Network (NGNBN) over a decade ago and the rollout is now essentially complete. It is based on a combination of fibre-to-the-home (FTTH) and wireless networks. The NGNBN has continued to form the basis of the government’s broadband strategy and implementation.
Slow growth in the fixed broadband market is predicted over the next five years in a mature and saturated market. Optical fibre broadband also has seen strong growth as customers migrate to the NGNBN’s fibre network. xDSL on the other hand has seen a decrease in usage and cable modem broadband also has been experiencing declining subscriber numbers.
Singapore’s mobile market has displayed slow growth over the last few years due to a highly mature market. It remains highly competitive and operators have moved to a customer satisfaction and retention phase by offering value-added services as the market has matured. Very slow growth is also predicted over the next five years to 2023, due to the highly saturated market.
Competition is now heating up in Singapore’s mobile market with a fourth provider Australian telco TPG Telecom launching mobile services. Also, local ISP MyRepublic launched its mobile services via an MNVO arrangement in partnership with mobile operator Starhub. This is likely to see increased pressure on SingTel, Starhub and M1, potentially triggering another price war.
Singapore saw strong growth in mobile broadband penetration up to 2013, however since then growth has been slow due to a mature and saturated mobile market. A significant proportion of the population now have more than one mobile broadband account. Very slow growth is predicted over the next five years to 2023. The mobile broadband market will be driven by increasingly faster speeds offered by the mobile operators as they roll out their 4G and 5G networks.
StarHub signed a MoU to co-develop and launch commercial IoT applications/services.
Singtel launched its FutureNow Innovation Centre (FIC) to help enterprises accelerate their digital transformation.
Slow growth is predicted in the fixed broadband market to 2023 in a mature and saturated market.
Both wireless broadband and fibre broadband will continue to be the fastest growing broadband segments.
Both DSL and cable modem will continue to experience declining subscriber numbers.
Competition is heating up with a fourth provider TPG Telecom launching mobile services.
Local ISP MyRepublic launched its mobile services via an MNVO arrangement in partnership with mobile operator Starhub.
Key companies mentioned in this report:
SingTel; StarHub, MobileOne (M1), MyRepublic, TPG (Telecom).
- EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- KEY STATISTICS
- Table Top Level Country Statistics and Telco Authorities – 2018 (e)
- Table Percentage of Population Covered by Type of Mobile Network
- TELECOMMUNICATIONS MARKET
- MARKET OVERVIEW AND ANALYSIS
- Table Key Metrics - Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) - 2018 - 2023
- REGIONAL ASIAN MARKET COMPARISON
- REGULATORY ENVIRONMENT
- HISTORIC OVERVIEW
- REGULATORY AUTHORITY
- CYBER SECURITY
- FIXED NETWORK OPERATORS
- SINGAPORE TELECOM (SINGTEL)
- Table SingTel (Group) – Operating Revenue, EBITDA -2015 - 2018
- TELECOMMUNICATIONS INFRASTRUCTURE
- OVERVIEW OF THE NATIONAL TELECOM NETWORK
- Table Fixed Telephone Line Subscriptions and Penetration – 2007 - 2018
- Table Historic – Fixed Telephone Line Subscriptions and Penetration – 1998 - 2006
- Table Overview of fixed-line subscribers – 2015 - 2017
- THE NEXT GENERATION NATIONWIDE BROADBAND NETWORK (NEXT GEN NBN)
- Background and Timeline
- INTERNATIONAL INFRASTRUCTURE
- Satellite networks
- Submarine cable networks
- Other developments
- SPECIFIC IT DEVELOPMENTS
- Data Centres
- Data Centre Providers
- SMART INFRASTRUCTURE
- Internet-of-Things (IoT)
- Smart Nation Platform
- Cyber Security Centre
- Smart Meters
- BROADBAND MARKET
- INTRODUCTION AND STATISTICAL OVERVIEW
- Market overview and analysis
- Next Generation National Broadband Network (NGNBN)
- Broadband statistics and Forecast
- Table Fixed Broadband Subscribers and Penetration (with Forecast) – 2008 - 2023
- Table Fixed Broadband Subscribers – By Access Type – 2008 - 2018
- Table Total Broadband subscribers (Fixed and Wireless) and Annual Growth– 1999 - 2018
- Table Total Broadband Subscribers – Fixed vs Wireless – 2013 - 2017
- Table Total Broadband Subscribers – Fixed vs Wireless, market share – 2013 - 2017
- Table Total Broadband Subscribers by Access Type – 2013 - 2017
- Table Total Broadband Market Share by Access Type – 2013 - 2017
- Table Internet Users and Penetration – 2007 - 2018
- Table Total international internet bandwidth – 2006 - 2018
- FIXED BROADBAND SERVICE PROVIDERS
- Table Fixed broadband service providers and market share – 2018
- Singapore Telecom (SingTel)
- Table SingTel - fixed broadband subscribers – 2005 - 2018
- Table SingTel's fibre-based broadband subscribers – 2011 - 2018
- Table StarHub's fixed broadband subscribers – 2003 - 2018
- Table StarHub – ARPU for broadband services – 2006 - 2018
- MobileOne (M1)
- Table Mobile One – Fixed (broadband fibre) subscribers – 2012 - 2018
- Table Mobile One – ARPU - fixed (broadband fibre) services – 2012 - 2018
- FIXED LINE BROADBAND TECHNOLOGIES
- Hybrid Fibre Coax (HFC) networks / Cable Modems
- Table Cable modem subscribers – 2000 - 2018
- Digital Subscriber Line (DSL) networks
- Table DSL subscribers – 2000 - 2018
- Fibre-to-the-Premises (FttP) and Fibre-To-The-Home (FTTH)
- Table Total optical fibre broadband subscribers – 2011 - 2018
- Fixed wireless (WiFi and WiMAX)
- Table Wireless broadband subscribers – 2007 - 2018
- Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP)
- DIGITAL ECONOMY
- DIGITAL MEDIA
- Table Historic - Key broadcasting statistics - 2015
- VIDEOSTREAMING / IPTV
- Table SingTel's pay TV subscribers (millions)– 2007 - 2018
- Table StarHub pay TV subscribers – 2010 - 2018
- Table StarHub pay TV ARPU – 2003 - 2018
- MOBILE COMMUNICATIONS
- MARKET OVERVIEW AND ANALYSIS
- MOBILE STATISTICS
- Mobile Statistics and Forecasts
- Table Mobile Subscribers and Penetration (with Forecast) – 1997 - 2023
- Table Mobile Subscribers by 2G, 3G, 4G, prepaid, postpaid (millions) – 2012 - 2017
- Table Mobile Subscribers by 2G, 3G, 4G (millions) – 2012 - 2017
- Table Mobile Subscribers market share by 2G, 3G, 4G – 2012 - 2017
- Table Historic - 3G mobile subscribers – 2005 - 2016
- Table ARPU – postpaid and prepaid by mobile operator – 2014 - 2018
- Table Historic - Overall mobile services ARPU – 2002 - 2015
- Mobile data
- Table Total SMS messages per month – 2004 - 2017
- Mobile Broadband Statistics and Forecast
- Table Mobile Broadband Subscribers and Penetration (with Forecast) – 2007 - 2023
- REGULATORY ISSUES
- MOBILE INFRASTRUCTURE
- Radio Dot System
- Lampsite Trials
- Satellite mobile
- Light Fidelity (Li-Fi)
- MAJOR MOBILE OPERATORS
- Overview – operating statistics
- Table Singapore – mobile operators and systems
- Table Mobile Subscribers by Operator (millions) – 2000 - 2018
- Table Mobile Subscriber Market Share by Operator – 2000 - 2018
- Singapore Telecom (SingTel)
- Table SingTel – Singapore market – Key Financial Statistics – 2014 - 2018
- Table SingTel – Singapore market – key operational subscriber (millions) – 2013 - 2018
- Table SingTel - mobile subscribers – 1998 - 2018
- Table SingTel - 4G mobile subscribers – 2014 - 2018
- Table SingTel – ARPU for mobile services – postpaid, prepaid, blended – 2003 - 2018
- Table StarHub – Key Financial Statistics – 2014 - 2017
- Table StarHub – operating revenue and capital expenditure – 2008 - 2017
- Table Historic - StarHub – Operating revenue ($thousands) by market segment – 2014 - 2017
- Table StarHub mobile subscribers – 2000 - 2018
- Table StarHub – ARPU for mobile services – postpaid and prepaid – 2003 - 2018
- MobileOne (M1)
- Table MobileOne - mobile subscribers – 1998 - 2018
- Table MobileOne – ARPU for mobile services – postpaid and prepaid – 2015 - 2018
- Table Mobile One – operating revenue, capital expenditure and EBITDA – 2008 - 2017
- TPG Telecom