Myanmar (Burma) - Telecoms, Mobile and Broadband - Statistics and Analyses
Myanmar finally sees increased competition in the fibre broadband Segment
Five years ago, Myanmar remained one of the last underdeveloped telecommunication markets in Asia, however this gap is being bridged quickly with a focus on mobile and mobile broadband services and exploding growth in that sector. By 2018 Myanmar was four years into a telecoms boom that has dramatically changed the physical and technological landscape of the country, since the sector was opened to foreign competition in 2014.
Fixed broadband penetration in Myanmar remains extremely low mainly due to a limited number of fixed lines as well as the dominance of the mobile platform and an unwillingness by operators to invest in fixed broadband infrastructure. However, by 2018 a number of new fixed broadband service providers were emerging, installing fibre below or above ground for fixed line broadband access.
One factor behind this fall is the entry of the telcos into the home broadband market to compete directly with existing ISPs. Over the next five years to 2023 the market is expected to grow very strongly but overall market penetration will remain extremely low compared to other nations.
Mynanmar's mobile market has experienced very rapid growth from 2013 to 2017, driven by the entry of three new competitors in the market, increasing the number of operators from just one to four. This has dramatically increased market competition.
By 2018 the mobile market was approaching saturation and was seeing increased competition over data prices. Average revenue per user dropped further with the entry of a fourth operator- Mytel, in 2018.
Mobile broadband has experienced rapid growth over the past five years, driven by rapid growth in the mobile sector. Because telco reform came very late Myanmar, it has essentially leap frogged past fixed broadband access to mobile devices access for internet services.
Strong growth is predicted over the next five years however at a slower rate due to increasing maturity in the market. The mobile broadband market will be driven by increasingly faster speeds offered by the mobile operators as they roll out 4G and eventually 5G networks.
Myanmar remains one of the last underdeveloped telecoms markets in Asia.
However, this gap is being bridged quickly with a focus on mobile broadband services.
The number of mobile operators has increased from one to four over the past few years.
This has dramatically increased market competition.
The fixed broadband market remains highly underdeveloped, but is now gaining momentum
Mobile broadband has experienced very strong growth over the past few years.
Companies mentioned in this report
Myanmar Post and Telecommunications (MPT); Telenor Myanmar; Ooredoo Myanmar; KDDI; Sumitomo; SingTel, Digicel; Qatar Telecom; Viettel Group; Vodafone, Myanmar National Tele & Communications (MNTC).
- 1. Executive summary
- 2. Key statistics
- 3. Country overview
- 4. Telecommunications market
- 4.1 Market Overview and Analysis
- 4.2 Regional Asian Market Comparison
- 5. Regulatory environment
- 5.1 Regulatory authority
- 5.2 Market liberalisation process
- 5.3 Telecommunications Law - 2013
- 5.4 Telecom Master Plan
- 5.5 Licensing Fixed Services
- 6. Telecommunications infrastructure
- 6.1 Fixed-line statistics
- 6.2 Fibre networks
- 6.3 Wireless Local Loop (WLL)
- 6.4 National backbone network
- 6.5 Universal Service Strategy
- 6.6 International infrastructure
- 6.6.1 Satellite
- 6.6.2 Submarine
- 6.6.3 Terrestrial cables
- 6.6.4 Other developments
- 7. Fixed-line broadband market
- 7.1 Market Overview and Analysis
- 7.2 Broadband Statistics and Forecast
- 7.3 Fixed Broadband Service Providers
- 7.4 Fixed Wireless Broadband Service Providers
- 7.5 Fixed-line broadband technologies
- 7.5.1 WiMAX
- 8. Mobile market
- 8.1 Mobile Statistics and Forecast
- 8.2 Mobile Broadband Statistics and Forecast
- 8.3 Regulatory issues
- 8.3.1 SIM cards
- 8.3.2 Spectrum
- 9. Mobile infrastructure
- 9.1 3G
- 9.2 4G LTE
- 9.3 Mobile towers
- 10. Major mobile operators
- 10.1 Operators
- 10.2 Myanmar P&T (MPT)
- 10.3 Ooredoo
- 10.4 Telenor
- 10.5 Myanmar National Tele & Communications (Mytel)
- 11. Digital economy
- 11.1 Overview
- 11.2 e-Banking
- 11.3 e-Payments
- 11.4 Online shopping
- 12. Digital Media
- 12.1 Online Video
- 12.2 Broadcasting market
- 13. Related reports
- List of Tables and Charts
- Table 1 Top Level Country Statistics and Telco Authorities 2018 (e)
- Table 2 Percentage of Population Covered by Type of Mobile Network
- Table 3 Key Metrics - Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) - 2018 - 2023
- Table 4 Fixed-line subscribers and penetration 2006 - 2018
- Table 5 Historic - fixed-line subscribers, penetration, annual change 1990, 1995 - 2005
- Table 6 Fixed Broadband Subscribers and Penetration (with Forecast) 2008 - 2023
- Table 7 Internet User Penetration 2007 - 2018
- Table 8 Historic - Internet users and penetration 1999 - 2016
- Table 9 Internet household penetration 2003 - 2018
- Table 10 Proportion of households with a computer 2007 - 2018
- Table 11 International internet bandwidth 2000 - 2018
- Table 12 Lit/Equipped International Bandwidth Capacity 2014 - 2018
- Table 13 Mobile Subscribers and Penetration (with Forecast) 2006 - 2023
- Table 14 Historic - mobile subscribers, penetration and annual change 1995 - 2005
- Table 15 Mobile Broadband Subscribers and Penetration (with Forecast) 2009 - 2023
- Table 16 Mobile operator by system launch
- Table 17 Mobile subscriber market share by operator - 2018
- Table 18 MPT launch and system
- Table 19 MPT subscribers 2008 - 2018
- Table 20 Ooredoo mobile subscribers 2014 - 2018
- Table 21 Telenor mobile subscribers 2014 - 2018
- Table 22 Historic - Key broadcasting statistics - 2016
- Chart 1 Mobile, Mobile Broadband & Fixed Broadband Penetration 2018; 2023
- Chart 2 Asian Telecoms Maturity Index by Market Category
- Chart 3 Asian Telecoms Maturity Index vs GDP per Capita
- Chart 4 Telecoms Maturity Index Central Asia
- Chart 5 Fixed-line subscribers and penetration 2007 - 2018
- Chart 6 Fixed Broadband Subscribers and Penetration (with Forecast) 2008 - 2023
- Chart 7 Mobile Subscribers and Penetration (with Forecast) 2008 - 2023
- Chart 8 Mobile Broadband Subscribers and Penetration (with Forecast) 2009 - 2023
- Exhibit 1 Key Market Characteristics by Market Segment
- Exhibit 2 Central Asia -Key Characteristics of Telecoms Markets by Country