Morocco - Internet, Broadband and Digital Media - Overview and Statistics
Morocco's fixed-line broadband market is dominated by Maroc Telecom's ADSL service. Despite the company's effective monopoly in providing the service, Morocco has developed some of the lowest broadband prices and highest penetration rates in Africa. The country has also introduced a range of innovative services, including the continent's first commercial IPTV service.
Maroc Telecom's commanding dominance of the broadband market has been shaken since the introduction of third-generation (3G) mobile broadband services. Mobile broadband in late 2013 accounted for almost 85% of all internet connections, leaving Maroc Telecom's ADSL service with a 15% market share. This trend is likely to continue into 2014 given that mobile networks reach a far greater proportion of the population than Maroc Telecom's copper fixed-line network, and that consumers are increasingly adopting mobile solutions for both voice and data services.
To accommodate the increasing amount of internet traffic, fibre optic national backbone networks and international connectivity are being expanded. A National Broadband Plan was launched in 2012, aiming to provide fixed or mobile broadband access to the entire population by 2022.
Maroc Telecom launches subscription VoD service; 3G mobile broadband captures more than 80% of the market; national broadband plan 2012-2022 developments; some restrictions imposed on VoIP services; includes the regulator's market data to Q4 2013, market developments to March 2014.
Companies covered in this report:
Maroc Telecom (Menara), Medi Telecom (Meditel), Inwi (Wana, Maroc Connect), Morocco Trade and Development Services (MTDS).