Mongolia - Telecoms, Mobile and Broadband - Statistics and Analyses
Mongolia possesses a liberalised and competitive telecoms market served by multiple competing players and an incumbent operator that no longer holds a dominant share of its market. The growing popularity of mobile broadband has underpinned overall broadband and telecoms growth. This trend is consolidating Mongolia's position as a mobile first telecoms market and shaping the future direction of Mongolia's developing digital economy.
The penetration of fixed lines in Mongolia has increased strongly over the past five years as a higher proportion of residences decide to take a fixed line access option. Penetration is however predicted to only increase slightly over the next five years to 2023.
Fixed broadband penetration in Uzbekistan remains low mainly due to a limited number of fixed lines and the dominance of the mobile platform. Fixed broadband remains an attractive proposition where it is available due to the inherent bandwidth advantages of fixed platforms compared with wireless.
Mongolia's mobile market has experienced fairly slow growth over the past five years in a relatively mature market. Slow to moderate growth is predicted over the next five years to 2023. The market will be constrained from higher growth due to strong local competition and a further maturing market.
Mobile broadband penetration has grown very strongly over the past five years. With the launch of 4G LTE services by all the major operators, mobile broadband customers will continue to grow strongly over the next five years to 2023.
South Korea's KT Corp completed the sale of its 40% stake in Telecom Mongolia back to the Mongolian government.
the Mongol Sat-1 platform was launched in partnership with Asia Broadcast Satellite (ABS).
KT Corp completed the sale of its 40% stake in Telecom Mongolia back to the Mongolian government.
Over the next five years to 2023 moderate growth is expected to continue in the fixed broadband market.
The launch of 4G LTE services is starting to see strong uptake of mobile broadband customers.
MobiCom launched its first LTE-A services.
- Executive summary
- Key statistics
- Table Country Statistics, Major Operators and Telco Authorities - 2018 (e)
- Table Top Level Country Statistics - 2018 (e)
- Country overview
- MONGOLIA'S ECONOMY
- Telecommunications market
- MARKET OVERVIEW AND ANALYSIS
- REGIONAL MARKET COMPARISON
- Regulatory environment
- HISTORICAL OVERVIEW
- REGULATORY AUTHORITY
- Communications Regulatory Commission (CRC)
- Information Technology, Post and Telecommunications Authority of Mongolia (ITPTA)
- GOVERNMENT POLICIES
- Mongolia Telecom Company privatisation
- Structural separation
- ICT Vision 2021
- E-Mongolia 2012
- National broadband program of Mongolia
- Fixed network operators
- MONGOLIA TELECOM
- MONGOLIAN RAILWAYS COMMUNICATIONS
- ULUSNET (MOBINET)
- UNIVISION (UNITEL)
- Telecommunications infrastructure
- NATIONAL TELECOM NETWORK
- FIXED-LINE STATISTICS
- Table Fixed Line Subscriptions and Penetration - 2007 - 2018
- Table Historic - Fixed lines in service and penetration- 1990, 1995 - 2006
- Table Historic - Total fixed network traffic - 2008 - 2015
- Table Mongolia fibre cable deployed
- INTERNATIONAL INFRASTRUCTURE
- Internet infrastructure statistics
- Table International internet bandwidth - 2000 - 2017
- Table Historic - International and domestic Internet bandwidth by ISP - June 2015
- Terrestrial cable
- SPECIFIC IT DEVELOPMENTS
- Data Centres
- National information technology park
- Mongolia internet Exchange (MIX)
- Fixed-line broadband market
- FIXED BROADBAND STATISTICS AND FORECAST
- Table Fixed Broadband Subscribers (with Forecast) - 2007 - 2023
- Table Historic - Broadband subscribers per platform - 2012 - 2015
- Table Historic - Broadband subscribers by location - 2015
- Table Historic - Internet users and penetration - 2007 - 2017
- FIXED-LINE BROADBAND TECHNOLOGIES
- Mobile market
- MOBILE STATISTICS AND MARKET FORECAST
- Table Mobile Subscribers and Penetration (with Forecast) - 2007 - 2023
- Table Historic - Mobile subscribers, total v. prepaid, annual change and penetration - 1996 - 2010
- Table Historic - Prepaid subscribers - 2012 - 2017
- MOBILE DATA
- Table Historic - 3G subscribers - 2009 - 2016
- MOBILE BROADBAND AND MARKET FORECAST
- Table Mobile Broadband Subscribers and Penetration (with Forecast) - 2009 - 2023
- Major mobile operators
- OPERATOR STATISTICS
- Table Mobile operators - subscribers and market share - 2018
- Table MobiCom subscribers - 2006 - 2018
- Table SkyTel subscribers - 2006 - 2018
- Table Unitel subscribers - 2006 - 2018
- Table G-Mobile subscribers - 2007 - 2018
- Mobile content and applications
- Table Historic - Operating Systems -2015
- Digital economy
- National ICT Committee
- CIO Council
- Electronic ID card
- Digital Media
- CABLE, DTH AND MMDS TELEVISION SERVICES
- Table Historic - Cable, DTH and MMDS TV subscribers - 2004 - 2015
- Table Historic - IPTV, double play and triple play subscribers - 2016
- DIGITAL TV
- MOBILE BROADCAST TV
- Related reports