Kazakhstan - Telecoms, Mobile and Broadband - Statistics and Analyses
Kazakhstan is one of the most advanced telecoms sectors in Central Asia.
The fixed broadband market in Kazakhstan remains relatively underdeveloped, due to the dominance of the mobile broadband, which is in turn driven by the mobile sector. Slow to moderate growth is predicted over the next five years to 2024 as mobile broadband will continue to dominate the broadband segment.
The number of fixed telephone lines in Kazakhstan is slowly declining due to the dominance of the mobile segment, in particular mobile broadband. The rate of decline began to accelerate in 2015. Further decline in penetration is predicted for the next five years to 2024.
The MIC has signed public-private partnership agreements with Kazakhtelecom, SilkNetCom and Transtelecom to implement a project to access to fibre-optic communication technologies in rural areas.
Kazakhstan's mobile market remains highly competitive, but rather than a focus only on growth in subscribers the market has shifted to value-added. All Kazakhstan's major mobile operators are well on the path towards launching 5G services.
Kazakhstan has seen a strong increase in mobile broadband penetration over the past five years. Market penetration increased rapidly initially. Since then the market stabilised and has been growing at a more moderate rate due to saturation in the mobile subscriber segment. Moderate growth is predicted over the next five years to 2024.
In 2019 Kazakhtelecom launched its latest smart city project in Akmola in partnership with the local authorities..
Kazakhstans mobile market has reached saturation point. Slow growth predicted through to 2024.
Fixed telephone penetration continues declining as the mobile segment continues to expand.
5G services are scheduled to be launched in launched soon.
Mobile broadband is growing strongly driven by a mature mobile market.
Kcell has launched a pilot IoT agriculture service, utilising its 3G, 4G LTE and NB-IoT networks.
- 1 Key statistics
- 2 Country overview
- 3 Telecommunications market
- 3.1 Market Overview and Analysis
- 3.2 Regional Market Comparison
- 4 Regulatory environment
- 4.1 Regulatory authority
- 4.2 Market liberalisation
- 4.3 Privatisation
- 4.4 Spectrum
- 4.5 Number Portability (NP)
- 5 Fixed network operators
- 5.1 Kazakhtelecom
- 5.2 Next Generation Network (NGN) development
- 5.3 Astel
- 5.4 Ducat (formerly Kazintel)
- 5.5 KazInformTelecom (KIT)
- 5.6 Transtelecom
- 6 Telecommunications infrastructure
- 6.1 Overview of the national telecom network
- 6.2 Wireless Local Loop (WLL)
- 6.3 Fibre networks
- 6.4 International infrastructure
- 6.5 Specific IT developments
- 6.6 Smart Infrastructure
- 7 Fixed-line broadband market
- 7.1 Background
- 7.2 Fixed Broadband Statistics and Forecast
- 7.3 Fixed broadband technologies
- 7.4 ISP market
- 8 Mobile market
- 8.1 Background
- 8.2 Mobile Statistics and Forecast
- 8.3 Mobile broadband statistics and Forecast
- 8.4 Mobile Regulatory issues
- 8.5 Mobile infrastructure
- 8.6 Major mobile operators
- 8.7 MNVOs
- 9 Digital economy
- 9.1 Government Digital Program Investment
- 10 Related reports
- Table 1 Top Level Country Statistics and Telco Authorities 2019 (e)
- Table 2 Fixed Line Subscriptions and Penetration 2009 2024
- Table 3 Fixed Broadband Subscribers and Penetration (with Forecast) 2009 2024
- Table 4 International Internet bandwidth capacity 2001 2018
- Table 5 Lit/Equipped International Bandwidth Capacity 2013 2018
- Table 6 Mobile Subscribers and Penetration (with Forecast) 2009 - 2024
- Table 7 Historic - Mobile subscribers and annual change 1996 2007
- Table 8 Mobile Broadband Subscribers and Penetration (with Forecast) 2010 - 2024
- Table 9 Percentage of Population Covered by Type of Mobile Network
- Table 10 Mobile operators subscribers and market share 2019
- Table 11 Kar-Tel (Beeline) - mobile subscribers 2006 2019
- Table 12 Kar-Tel (Beeline) - mobile ARPU (historical) 2006 2014
- Table 13 Kar-Tel (Beeline) fixed broadband subscribers (historical) 2008 - 2013
- Table 14 Kcell's mobile subscribers - 2006 2019
- Table 15 Tele2 Kazakhstan / Altel mobile subscribers 2010 2019
- Table 16 Altel's mobile subscribers (historical) 2009 2013
- Table 17 Altel's mobile ARPU (historical) 2010 2014
- Chart 1 Mobile, Mobile Broadband & Fixed Broadband Penetration 2019; 2024
- Chart 2 Asian Telecoms Maturity Index by Market Category
- Chart 3 Asian Telecoms Maturity Index vs GDP per Capita
- Chart 4 Telecoms Maturity Index Central Asia
- Chart 5 Fixed Line Subscriptions and Penetration 2009 2024
- Chart 6 Fixed Broadband Subscribers and Penetration (with Forecast) 2009 - 2024
- Chart 7 Mobile Subscribers and Penetration (with Forecast) 2009 - 2024
- Chart 8 Mobile Broadband Subscribers and Penetration (with Forecast) 2010 - 2024
- Exhibit 1 Key Market Characteristics by Market Segment
- Exhibit 2 Central Asia -Key Characteristics of Telecoms Markets by Country
- Exhibit 3 Historic - Kazakhtelecom's modernisation program for telecommunications