Iran - Telecoms, Mobile and Broadband - Statistics and Analyses
There are two major mobile operators in Iran and mobile penetration is considered to be high with a rate of 119%. Most citizens access 2G and 3G networks and in November 2014, the first 4G LTE network was launched by MTN Irancell. While 4G LTE services are available, primarily in the urban areas around one third of mobile subscribers don't own a smart phone. Initial testing of 5G began in Iran in 2017.
Prior to the US government reimposing economic sanctions again during 2018; the two major operators, MCI and MTN Irancell made great strides in upgrading infrastructure, particularly 3G and 4G networks. Further investment in both mobile and fixed telecoms infrastructure, particularly in the rural areas, is required however in order to speed up progress and lower costs for consumers.
Many unique challenges and opportunities exist in the Iranian telecoms market. BuddeComm explores Iran's telecoms sector in further detail throughout this report along with analyses of the market, key industry statistics, and information on the key developments and major players.
The operators have recently agreed to offer national roaming which will assist to improve services in rural areas.
A significant development occurred in early 2018 when TCI began infrastructure sharing its fibre network with competitors.
Smart phone penetration is relatively low in Iran compared to other markets.
Iran is implementing its 6th Development Plan during 2016 2021.
The broadband operator, Iranian-net, is deploying a national fibre network.
Companies mentioned in this report include:
Telecommunication Company of Iran (TCI), Mobile Communications Iran (MCI), MTN Irancell, Tamin Telecom (Rightel).
- Executive Summary
- Key statistics
- Table Country statistics and regulatory authorities - Iran – 2019
- COUNTRY OVERVIEW
- Table Iran – GDP and inflation – 2012 – 2019
- Telecommunications market
- MARKET ANALYSIS
- Alleged sanction violations
- Regulatory environment
- HISTORIC OVERVIEW
- SIXTH FIVE YEAR PLAN 2016 -2021
- REGULATORY AUTHORITY
- WIMAX LICENCES
- NUMBER PORTABILITY (NP)
- Fixed network operators in Iran
- TELECOMMUNICATION COMPANY OF IRAN (TCI)
- OTHER LICENCE HOLDERS/VOIP
- Telecommunications infrastructure
- NATIONAL TELECOM NETWORK
- Table Iran - fixed lines in service and teledensity – 1995 – 2020
- Table Iran - International Internet bandwidth – 2002 – 2016
- National Internet Network (NIN)
- INTERNATIONAL INFRASTRUCTURE
- Submarine and terrestrial cable networks
- Satellite networks
- Broadband access market
- INTRODUCTION AND STATISTICAL OVERVIEW
- Market analysis
- Broadband statistics
- Table Iran - Internet users and penetration estimates – 1996 – 2017
- Table Iran - fixed broadband subscribers – 2006 – 2020
- Table Household PC penetration – 2002 – 2017
- DIGITAL SUBSCRIBER LINE (DSL) NETWORKS
- FIBRE-TO-THE-PREMISES (FTTP) AND FIBRE-TO-THE-HOME (FTTH)
- OTHER FIXED BROADBAND SERVICES
- Fixed wireless (WiFi and WiMAX)
- Table Historical - Irancell WiMAX subscribers – 2012 – 2015
- Digital economy
- VIDEO-STREAMING AND IPTV
- Mobile communications
- MARKET ANALYSIS
- MOBILE STATISTICS
- General statistics
- Table Iran – historic mobile subscribers and penetration - 1995 – 2006
- Table Iran - mobile subscribers and penetration – 2007 – 2019
- MOBILE BROADBAND STATISTICS
- Table Iran - mobile broadband subscriptions and penetration – 2013 – 2020
- REGULATORY ISSUES
- Second mobile licence – MTN Irancell
- Third Mobile licence – Tamin Telecom (Rightel)
- MOBILE INFRASTRUCTURE
- MAJOR MOBILE OPERATORS
- Table Iran mobile operators – subscriber market share – 2016; mid 2017
- MCI (Mobile Communications Iran)/Hamrah-e-Avval
- MTN Irancell
- Table MTN Irancell – Revenue and CAPEX – 2016 – 2017
- Table MTN Irancell – mobile subscribers and ARPU – 2007 – 1H 2018
- Tamin Telecom (Rightel)
- MOBILE CONTENT AND APPLICATIONS
- Messaging services
- M-banking (payments/loans)
- MOBILE HANDSETS
- Related reports