Greece - Mobile Infrastructure, Broadband, Operators - Statistics and Analyses
Greece's well-developed mobile market is dominated by the three mobile network operators Wind Hellas, Vodafone Greece and Cosmote. Operators continue to invest in LTE infrastructure and technologies, including carrier aggregation, to provide networks capable of meeting customer demand for data services. This in turn is helping the operators to offset declining revenue from voice and SMS services. Wind Hellas and Vodafone have a mobile network sharing deal and have partnered to develop a large-scale fibre-based fixed-line NGN.
The regulator has set in train the release of spectrum in the 3.4-3.8GHz band for 5G use, anticipating spectrum auctions to be held during 2019, with services being launched in urban areas by late 2019 and nationally by 2020. In October 2018 Wind Hellas announced plans to trial 5G during 2019, initially in Kalamata.
This report provides an overview of Greece's mobile market, covering regulatory and market developments as well as financial and operating statistics of the key players.
Regulator reports on 3.4GHz spectrum consultation;
Ericsson deploys NB-IoT for Cosmote in 11 cities;
Vodafone completes acquisition of Cyta Hellas;
Cosmote, Vodafone and Wind Hellas pay 201.45 million to extend 1800MHz licences to end-2035;
Cosmote trials carrier aggregation technology providing data at up to 1.2Gb/s, launches LTE-A Pro services;
Rules governing number portability tightened;
Ongoing economic difficulties impacting on mobile sector;
Amended laws reducing SIM card penetration;
2G spectrum refarmed for 3G and LTE use;
Report update includes the regulator's market review and annual report for 2017, telcos' operating and financial data to Q3 2018, recent market developments.
Companies mentioned in this report:
Vodafone Greece, Cosmote, Wind Hellas.
- 1. Synopsis
- 2. Market analysis
- 3. Mobile statistics3.1 General statistics
- 4. Mobile infrastructure4.1 5G4.2 4G (LTE)4.3 3G4.4 2G (GSM)4.5 Other infrastructure developments
- 4.5.1 IoT
- 5. Mobile data5.1 Short Messaging Service (SMS)/Multimedia Messaging Service (MMS)
- 6. Mobile broadband
- 7. Regulatory issues7.1 Significant Market Power (SMP)7.2 Mobile Termination Rates (MTRs)7.3 Mobile Number Portability (MNP)7.4 Spectrum refarming7.5 900MHz and 1800MHz licence renewal7.6 1800MHz7.7 800MHz and 2.6GHz spectrum auction7.8 3.4GHz7.9 Network sharing
- 8. Major mobile operators8.1 Wind Hellas8.2 Vodafone Greece8.3 Cosmote
- 9. Mobile Virtual Network Operators (MVNOs)
- 10. Mobile content and applications
- 11. Related reportsTable 1 Historic - Mobile subscribers (registered) and penetration 1996 - 2009Table 2 Mobile subscribers (registered) and penetration 2010 - 2018Table 3 Active mobile subscribers 2003 - 2018Table 4 Mobile and fixed-line traffic 2004 - 2016Table 5 Mobile ARPU 2011 - 2015Table 6 Mobile market share of registered subscribers by operator 2005 - 2016Table 7 Mobile service retail revenue and annual change 2003 - 2016Table 8 Mobile revenue (retail and wholesale) 2010 - 2016Table 9 Proportion of mobile revenue by service 2015 - 2016Table 10 Mobile service EBITDA and annual change 2003 - 2014Table 11 Mobile service capex 2001 - 2014Table 12 Registered prepaid and postpaid subscribers 2009 - 2016Table 13 Ratio of registered prepaid to postpaid subscribers 2009 - 2016Table 14 Cosmote prepaid subscribers 2005 - 2018Table 15 Vodafone proportion of prepaid subscribers 2005 - 2018Table 16 Total SMS messages sent 2006 - 2016Table 17 Total MMS messages sent 2009 - 2016Table 18 Active mobile broadband subscribers and penetration 2004 - 2018Table 19 Mobile data traffic 2009 - 2016Table 20 Proportion of mobile data traffic by technology platform 2015 - 2016Table 21 Mobile interconnection traffic by type 2009 - 2016Table 22 Mobile Termination Rate 2009 - 2016Table 23 Annual mobile number portings 2004 - 2016Table 24 Vodafone subscribers 2008 - 2018Table 25 Vodafone ARPU 2008 - 2018Table 26 Vodafone financial data 2008 - 2019Table 27 Vodafone SMS messages sent 2014 - 2016Table 28 Vodafone mobile data traffic 2014 - 2018Table 29 Cosmote mobile financial data 2007 - 2018Table 30 Cosmote annualised ARPU 2006 - 2018Table 31 Cosmote mobile data revenue 2015 - 2017Table 32 Cosmote subscribers 2006 - 2018Chart 1 Mobile subscribers (registered) and penetration 2005 - 2018Chart 2 Mobile market share of registered subscribers by operator 2005 - 2016Chart 3 Registered prepaid and postpaid subscribers 2009 2016Chart 4 Active mobile broadband subscribers and penetration 2004 2018Chart 5 Vodafone ARPU 2008 - 2018Chart 6 Vodafone financial data 2008 2019Chart 7 Cosmote mobile financial data 2007 - 2018Exhibit 1 3G auction results in Greece 2001Exhibit 2 Overview of spectrum auction resultsExhibit 3 2G auction results 2001Exhibit 4 900MHz and 1800MHz auction spectrum 2011Exhibit 5 900MHz and 1800MHz auction results 2011Exhibit 6 Spectrum auction results 2014Exhibit 7 Spectrum auction results overview 2001 - 2014Exhibit 8 Spectrum auction results February 2017