Broadband - Business Market Statistics - Australia
Although the business market in Australia was quick to embrace broadband, a significant proportion of smaller operators have yet to establish an online presence, and by early 2014 only 38% had a business website.
The government's Broadband Availability and Quality' report, published in December 2013, showed that 1.4 million premises (13% of the total) across many areas of the country had no adequate broadband infrastructure. These areas include regional and remote areas, but also pockets within urban communities. Given the state of broadband availability and speeds, many businesses still depend on mobile solutions rather than fixed-line broadband. A growing number of businesses in those areas where access to the NBN has been made available have switched to fibre broadband services, which enable these companies to compete in the global economy more effectively. The faster speeds of fibre infrastructure will see the rapid adoption of by businesses of services such cloud computing, online interaction, and media conferencing.
Business broadband has also allowed greater choices in working environment, with the ability for employees to tele-work, either from home or on the road while making use of improved mobile broadband. As such, smartphones and tablets increasingly form a part of the business ICT environment.
This report provides a detailed overview of the key drivers and trends behind broadband adoption in the Australian business market. It includes a number of recent market surveys incorporating a wide range of topics including e-business, broadband usage, small and medium enterprise readiness, and usage of the internet.
Mobile broadband, internet uptake in business increasing, fast fibre connections by business are increasing, smartphones, tablets, M2M, SMEs, VPN, internet access, National Broadband Network (NBN); includes ABS data to June 2013, ACMA reports for 2013, surveys to end-2013, market developments to March 2014.
Companies covered in this report include:
Telstra, Exetel, Optus, Vodafone, Sensis, NBN Co.
- 1. Synopsis
- 2. Market trends
- 2.1 Business market overview
- 2.2 ISPs targeting the business sector
- 2.3 Broadbanded companies moving forward
- 2.4 Will the SME market finally succumb to VoIP?
- 2.5 The NBN and the business market
- 2.6 Business need faster speeds to communicate
- 3. Business market surveys
- 3.1 NBN Business Readiness Surveys
- 3.2 Remote access and operation needed
- 3.3 Small Business Telecommunications Service Use and Experience
- 3.4 Surveys reveal that moving online benefits businesses
- 3.4.1 Missed opportunities offered by the digital economy
- 3.5 Telstra Productivity Indicator
- 3.6 Sensis e-business report
- 3.6.1 Introduction
- 3.6.2 Computer equipment
- 3.6.3 Usage of the internet
- 3.6.4 SME Online advertising Sensis
- 3.7 Optus Future of Business Report
- 3.7.1 Overview
- 3.7.2 Internet product platforms to expand
- 3.7.3 Alternative payments to increase
- 3.7.4 NBN to improve productivity
- 4. Business customer expenditure on telecoms
- 4.1 Overall telecom spend business market
- 4.2 SME market statistics
- 5. Related reports
- Table 1 Business, government and household internet subscribers 2009 - 2013
- Table 2 Business broadband connections, by platform Jun 2012
- Table 3 Business uptake of broadband by access type 2010 - 2013
- Table 4 SME online trends websites versus social media 2010 - 2013
- Table 5 Historic - SME computer equipment ownership trends 1999 - 2004
- Table 6 SME computer equipment ownership trends 2005 - 2013
- Table 7 Computer hardware expenditure SMEs and medium businesses 2001 - 2013
- Table 8 Business trends in internet connections 1998 - 2013
- Table 9 SMEs internet access methods, by technology 2010 - 2013
- Table 10 Top uses of the internet by SMEs 2010 - 2013
- Table 11 Meeting customer expectations using internet applications 2011 - 2013; 2018
- Table 12 Expectations of customer e-payments 2011 - 2012; 2015
- Table 13 Estimated telco product mix of business customer spend 2014
- Table 14 Estimated business and government market spending 2013
- Table 15 Revenue mix total spend of telecoms SME market 2014
- Chart 1 Business uptake of broadband by access type 2010 2013
- Chart 2 Overview of ICT uptake issues by businesses 2009 - 2012
- Chart 3 Overview of SME computer equipment ownership trends by type 2005 - 2013
- Chart 4 Overview of SME versus medium-sized business computer expenditure 2005 - 2013