Bhutan - Telecoms, Mobile, Broadband and Digital Economy - Statistics and Analyses
Bhutan's mobile market continues to expand
The number of fixed telephone lines in Bhutan is gradually declining from a very small base as the mobile segment continues to expand. Bhutan had been isolated from the rest of the world for a long time, both generally, and particularly in terms of its telecommunications. Its mountainous landscape made it especially difficult to build the necessary telecoms infrastructure.
Penetration is predicted to drop further by 2019 as this declining fixed-line trend continues.
Bhutan also came late to the internet. Development continued down a slow path, as the country embraced online activity cautiously. Fixed broadband penetration in Bhutan is increasing moderately from a very relatively small base. The fixed broadband market is predicted to continue to grow moderately over the next five years to 2022. The limited and declining number of fixed lines in Bhutan is restricting more widespread development of fixed broadband.
The mobile market in Bhutan has grown strongly over the past few years however the growth rate has subsided over the past few years as the mobile market begins to mature. Slower and declining growth is predicted to continue over the next five years to 2022 as the mobile subscriber market further matures.
B-Mobile is the leading mobile operator in Bhutan. TashiCell is its only market competitor, and has been bridging the gap over the past few years.
Mobile broadband has seen strong growth in Bhutan over the past five years and this strong growth is predicted to continue over the next two years to 2019.
The mobile networks have provided a major boost to internet access in the country, largely on the back of EDGE/GPRS, 3G and more recently 4G platforms.
4G LTE networks are now gaining traction in Bhutan with both major mobile operators offering 4G services.
Bhutan's telecom sector has been continuing on a steady development path.
TashiCell has been bridging the gap over the past few years in the mobile market.
The mobile market in Bhutan has grown moderately over the past few years.
Mobile broadband has seen strong growth and this is expected to continue.
4G LTE networks are now gaining traction in Bhutan.
Companies mentioned in this report
Bhutan Telecom, B-Mobile, DrukNet, Samden Tech, Tashi InfoComm, TashiCell, Ericsson, Reliance, Airtel.
- EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- KEY STATISTICS
- Table Country statistics Bhutan - 2017
- Table Telephone network statistics - 2017
- Table Internet user statistics - 2017
- Table Broadband statistics - 2017
- Table Mobile statistics - 2017
- Table National telecommunications authorities
- COUNTRY OVERVIEW
- Table Bhutan's GDP real growth rate - 2006 - 2017
- TELECOMMUNICATIONS MARKET
- MARKET OVERVIEW AND ANALYSIS
- REGULATORY ENVIRONMENT
- BHUTAN TELECOMMUNICATIONS ACT 1999
- BHUTAN INFORMATION COMMUNICATIONS AND MEDIA (BICM) ACT 2006
- BICMA LEGISLATION - AMENDMENT OR REPEAL?
- Second mobile licence
- FIXED NETWORK OPERATORS
- TELECOMMUNICATIONS INFRASTRUCTURE
- OVERVIEW OF THE NATIONAL TELECOM NETWORK
- Bhutan Telecom's infrastructure roll-out
- Fixed-line statistics
- Table Fixed Lines, Penetration and Annual Growth (with forecast) - 2007 - 2019
- Table Historic - fixed lines in service and Penetration - 1995 - 2005
- Fibre networks
- Universal Service Fund (USF)
- Remote communities
- Rural communications programs
- INTERNATIONAL INFRASTRUCTURE
- Very Small Aperture Terminals (VSATs)
- FORECASTS - MOBILE SUBSCRIBERS - 2018 - 2022
- Table Forecast Mobile Subscribers, Penetration and Annual Growth - 2012 - 2022
- FIXED-LINE BROADBAND MARKET
- INTERNET AND BROADBAND STATISTICS
- Table Internet Users, Penetration and Annual Growth (with forecast) - 2007 - 2019
- Table Historic - Percentage of households with a computer - 2002 - 2006
- Table Historic - Internet users and penetration rate - 1999 - 2006
- Table Historic - Fixed internet subscribers - 2003 - 2014
- Table Historic - Dial-up internet subscribers - 2001 - 2008; 2010 - 2014
- Table Fixed Broadband Subscribers, Penetration, and Annual Growth - 2007 - 2017
- Table Historic - DSL broadband internet subscribers - 2008 - 2016
- Table Broadband / Internet subscribers by type of access - 2008; 2012 - 2016
- Table Historic - International internet bandwidth - 2000 - 2006
- FIXED BROADBAND SERVICE PROVIDERS
- Table Broadband, Leased Line and Mobile Broadband by Service Provider - 2016
- Samden Tech
- FORECASTS - FIXED BROADBAND SUBSCRIBERS - 2018 - 2022
- Table Forecast Fixed Broadband Subscribers - 2012 - 2022
- MOBILE MARKET
- MOBILE STATISTICS
- Table Historic - Mobile subscribers, annual change and penetration 2003 - 2009
- Table Mobile Subscribers, Penetration, and Annual Growth - 2007 - 2017
- Table Percentage of Population Covered by Type of Mobile Network
- MOBILE BROADBAND
- Table Mobile broadband, Penetration and Annual Growth (with forecast) - 2007 - 2019
- MOBILE INFRASTRUCTURE
- MAJOR MOBILE OPERATORS
- OPERATOR STATISTICS
- Table Mobile operators and systems
- Table Mobile subscribers and market share by operator - 2017
- Table Historic - Mobile subscribers and market share by operator - 2016
- Table Historic - Mobile subscribers by operator - 2014
- Table B-Mobile's subscribers - 2003 - 2017
- Table Historic - B-Mobile's 3G subscribers - 2008 - 2016
- TASHI INFOCOMM (TASHICELL)
- Table TashiCell mobile subscribers - 2010 - 2017
- DIGITAL ECONOMY
- SOCIAL MEDIA
- RELATED REPORTS