This report provides revenue, revenue growth statistics and analysis for the telecommunications market by major service between 2000 and 2012, as well as market forecasts for 2013. The total telecoms service market is segmented according to telecommunications service - local access, mobile and broadband revenues.
Detailed revenue and forecasting statistics and analyses are also included separately for the wholesale, mobile and broadband markets, with estimates for 2012/13. Public Switched Telephone Network revenues (fixed-line voice and local access) still continue on a downward spiral for all the telcos and will continue that way until uptake of NBN services is complete. In the long term fixed broadband on the copper network will also decrease as fibre and fixed-wireless broadband services become the norm towards 2020.
Meanwhile the mobile broadband market is fast becoming a major income revenue stream for the providers, having taken over the mobile voice sector. But increased usage has caused data traffic jams on the 3G networks as the infrastructure was not designed for the rapid increase of traffic over the last couple of years.
The release of 4G/LTE mobile broadband and increased uptake by consumers and businesses will certainly ease the issue in the short term, but as user uptake increases so will the amount of bandwidth consumed. Mobile data usage increased by nearly 80% year-on-year to mid-2012 with nearly seven terabytes downloaded over the air in a three-month period.
Additional revenue, analysis and forecasting segmented by major telco providers can be found in a separate report: Australia - Revenue Statistics, Analysis and Forecasting (by provider) – 2000 - 2013.
ARPU on the decrease, ADSL growth slows, mobile broadband increasing, National Broadband Network (NBN), wholesale revenues.
Companied covered in this report include:
Vodafone, 3, VHA, Optus, Telstra.
- 1. Synopsis
- 2. Total telco market by major service
- 3. Wholesale market
- 3.1 The market in into 2013
- 3.2 Wholesale revenues in Australia
- 4. Mobile market
- 4.1 Market overview and analysis
- 4.2 Revenue by service
- 4.3 Average revenue per user (ARPU)
- 5. Broadband market
- 5.1 Internet access revenues
- 6. Related reports
- List of Tables and Charts
- Table 1 – Total telecoms market – retail revenue by service – 2001 - 2013
- Table 2 – Total telecoms market – annual retail growth by service – 2001 - 2013
- Table 3 – Total telecoms market – retail market share by service – 2000 - 2013
- Table 4 – Wholesale market revenues by major supplier – 2000 - 2013
- Table 5 – Wholesale market shares – by major supplier – 2000 - 2013
- Table 6 – Annual change in wholesale market revenues by major supplier – 2000 - 2013
- Table 7 – Total mobile services market revenue and annual change – 2000 - 2013
- Table 8 – Mobile services market revenue per major operator – 2000 - 2013
- Table 9 – Annual change of mobile services market per major operator – 2000 - 2013
- Table 10 – Estimated proportion of mobile service revenue from voice and data – 2007 - 2013
- Table 11 – Blended ARPU per month per major operator – 2000 - 2013
- Table 12 – Blended ARPU per month per major operator – annual change – 2004 - 2013
- Table 13 – Internet access revenues (broadband and dial-up) by major provider – 2003 - 2013
- Table 14 – Annual change in internet access revenues (broadband and dial-up) by major provider – 2004 - 2013
- Table 15 – Market share of internet access revenues (broadband and dial-up) by major provider – 2004 - 2013
- Chart 1 – Overview of total telecoms market – retail revenue by service – 2005 - 2013
- Chart 2 – Overview of wholesale market revenues by major supplier – 2005 - 2013
- Chart 3 – Overview of mobile services market revenue by operator and annual change – 2002 - 2013
- Chart 4 – Overview of blended ARPU per month per major operator – 2005 - 2013
- Chart 5 – Overview of market share of broadband market access revenue – 2012