Market Research Logo

Australia - National Broadband Network - The NBN company


Attention: There is an updated edition available for this report.

Australia - National Broadband Network - The NBN company

NBN Co was launched in April 2009 as a government business enterprise (GBE), wholly owned by the Commonwealth of Australia. It is overseen by shareholder ministers' the Minister for Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy and the Minister of Finance and Deregulation. NBN Co in 2015 was rebranded as NBN, and is here cited separately to the NBN (as the infrastructure).

The purpose of the company is to build a nationwide, wholesale-only, high-speed, open broadband network. Since its inception it has been selecting technology and designing the network and systems, as well as developing a wholesale product offering.

In its original plan under the previous government, the company would connect 93% of homes, schools and workplaces to an optical fibre network (fibre-to-the-home FttH), providing high-speed broadband services to Australians in urban and regional towns. The remaining 7% of premises would be connected to an LTE-based fixed wireless network, and for those outside these footprints to a satellite network.

With the arrival of a new government, the original plan was replaced by what they call an Optimised Multi-Technology Mix'.

Despite the downgrade the government promised that under the new plan at least 90% of Australians would get broadband speeds of about 50Mb/s by year-end 2019.

The new plan would cost $41 billion (which has since been increased to approx $50 billion). It is a move away from a pure FttH plan to a multi-technology approach deploying FttH, FttN, FttB/DP and HFC in addition to fixed wireless and satellite.

This report also provides financial and operational information regarding the NBN as well as the company's corporate plan, including forecasts. It also provides on overview of the various network developments and analyses as they occur over the roll our period.


1. Synopsis
2. Highlights Full Year Results 2016
2.1 Statistical Overview
2.2 Analysis
3. NBN Corporate Plan for the period 2014 2018
4. Highlights annual report 2014/2015
5. The network plan
5.1 Overall design and architecture
5.2 User access to the network
5.3 The backhaul network
5.4 ACCC location of 121 POIs
5.5 Points-of-interconnect (POI) architecture
5.6 PoI network redundancy
5.7 Paid for Network Extension
5.8 IPv6 transition
6. Three year construction plan 2015-2018
7. Other developments
7.1 NBN top-up 2016/17
7.2 Progress towards the Multi-Technology Mix
7.3 NBN Co buys TransACT
7.4 Mobile Backhaul
8. Telstra upgrades pit and pipe infrastructure
9. NBN Infrastructure Co-Development Program
10. NBN Co 2009- 2013 (Historic)
11. Analyses
11.1 Building Australia's white elephant cheap buy for white knight Telstra
11.2 Current NBN business model is flawed
11.3 How independent is NBN Co?
11.4 NBN Co threat to proper broadband competition
11.5 NBN Co should open up its networks to others
12. Other reports
Table 1 NBN Revenue Statistics 2013-2016
Table 2 NBN ARPU 2013-2016
Table 3 End user subscriptions 2013-2016
Table 4 NBN take-up rate activated services vs serviceable premises 2013-2016
Table 5 NBN Capital Expenditure 2013-2016
Table 6 Cost per premises 2014-2016
Table 7 Property, Plan, Equipment and Intangible Assets
Table 8 FY 2017 Targets
Table 9 Key highlights in FY2016
Table 10 - Premises Ready for Service 2014-2018
Table 11 - Premises Activated 2014 - 2018
Table 12 - Technology mix 2020
Table 13 - Weighted average cost per premise by technology
Table 14 - Key financial statistics NBN company
Table 15 NBN 2018 target by state Estimated number of premises under construction by September 2018
Table 16 Key highlights in FY2015
Table 17 - List of points of interconnection to the National Broadband Network - November 2012
Exhibit 1 - IT Platform and capabilities

Download our eBook: How to Succeed Using Market Research

Learn how to effectively navigate the market research process to help guide your organization on the journey to success.

Download eBook

Share this report