Australia - Mobile Communications - Subscriber Statistics
The number of mobile subscribers continues to grow steadily, and by mid-2013 mobile penetration had reached more than 130% as a significant proportion of subscribers make use of multiple phones or SIM cards. While growth is likely to continue in the next few years in as subscribers take to smartphones, this will slow in line with higher penetration, being about 2% into 2014.
Much of this growth is being driven by population increases and by the continuing adoption of multiple SIM cards, often to separate personal from business use. Network operators can also expect to benefit from further migration among consumers from fixed-line to mobile telecoms.
Telstra remains the market leader with more than 14 million subscribers, Optus has around 9.5 million subscribers, and Vodafone has seen subscriber number fall to just over three million.
This report provides operator statistics for the financial year to March 2013 supplemented by operator data to September 2013. It also includes high-level commentary on the overall market, market shares by operator, and details of the 2G, 3G and 4G environments. It also assesses the market share of the prepaid and postpaid segments and reviews the wholesale market.
Prepaid subscribers continue the move to Telstra, 4G subscribers increasing and for some years, overall subscriber growth and revenue slowing, Vodafone continuing to lose subscribers despite improved network performance; includes market developments to November 2013.
Companied covered in this report include:
SingTel, Vodafone, 3, VHA, Optus, Telstra.
- 1. Synopsis
- 2. Statistical sources
- 3. Mobile subscriber statistics
- 3.1 Total subscribers and annual growth rates
- 3.2 Operator market shares and growth
- 3.3 2G, 3G and 4G subscribers
- 3.4 Prepaid and postpaid subscribers by operator
- 3.5 Wholesale market
- 4. Related reports
- Table 1 Mobile market subscribers, penetration rate and annual change 2000 - 2013
- Table 2 Historic - Mobile subscribers by carrier 1993; 1997; 2000 - 2004
- Table 3 Mobile subscribers by carrier 2005 - 2013
- Table 4 Historic - Annual change of mobile subscribers by carrier 1995; 1997; 2000 - 2004
- Table 5 Annual change of mobile subscribers by carrier 2005 - 2013
- Table 6 Mobile subscriber acquisition cost by carrier 2009 - 2013
- Table 7 Historic - Mobile subscriber market share by carrier 1993; 1997; 2000 - 2004
- Table 8 Mobile subscriber market share by carrier 2005 - 2013
- Table 9 3G mobile subscribers by carrier 2003 - 2013
- Table 10 Annual change of 3G mobile subscribers by carrier 2007 - 2013
- Table 11 Proportion of 3G mobile subscribers versus total subscribers by carrier 2006 - 2013
- Table 12 2G mobile subscribers by carrier 2006 - 2013
- Table 13 Annual change of 2G mobile subscribers by carrier 2006 - 2013
- Table 14 Prepaid subscribers by mobile network operator 2006 - 2013
- Table 15 Prepaid subscribers market share by mobile network operator 2006 - 2013
- Table 16 Number of mobile phone services in operation - prepaid and postpaid 2006 - 2014
- Table 17 Wholesale subscribers Telstra versus Optus 2006 - 2013
- Chart 1 Overview of mobile market subscribers versus population 2005 - 2013
- Chart 2 Overview of mobile subscribers by carrier 2005 - 2013
- Chart 3 Overview of annual change of mobile subscribers by carrier 2005 - 2013
- Chart 4 Overview of subscriber acquisition costs by carrier 2009 - 2013
- Chart 5 Overview of mobile subscriber market share by carrier 2005 - 2013
- Chart 6 Overview of prepaid subscribers by mobile network operator 2006 - 2013
- Chart 7 Overview of market share of prepaid subscribers by mobile network operator 2006 - 2013
- Exhibit 1 Background information on the 3G race by the MNOs