Australia - Fixed Broadband Market - Overview and Statistics
Within the Australian fixed broadband market, there is a dynamic shift among customers to fibre networks, as this infrastructure is being built out by nbn (NBN Co), the company responsible for the national broadband deployment. Australia's broadband sector is making improved progress in its migration to a multi-technology NBN.
The annual growth rate in the overall number of broadband subscribers is expected to continue to slow into 2019, with most growth coming from the mobile wireless and fibre broadband markets, due to increased uptake by the nbn is these two segments.
The DSL sector is expected to shrink as customers are migrated to the NBN in areas where services become available, while subscribers on HFC infrastructure will continue to be provided by existing cable within the NBN's multi-technology mix. Commercial cable services based on the DOCSIS3.1 standard are anticipated in 2018-19.
The DSL sector is still showing resilience as operators make greater use of VDSL, while nbn has trialled G.Fast technology and expects to provide services shortly.
The fixed-line broadband market continues to grow steadily as the nbn rollout gains momentum, although overall penetration is predicted to grow slowly over the next five years to 2023.
Internationally, the adoption of broadband ranks Australia below many other developed countries, however the Australian market has seen a moderate increase over the past two years due to the continued rollout of the nbn.
Consolidation within the broadband market, with some key acquisitions having taken place among fixed broadband service providers, will provide greater reach and scale for operators in coming years.
The DSL sector is expected to shrink as customers are migrated to the NBN.
Consolidation within the fixed broadband market has occurred over the past few years.
The annual growth rate in the fixed broadband market is expected to continue to slow over the next five years to 2023.
Companies mentioned in this report:
Optus, Telstra, nbn (NBN Co), iiNet, TPG, TransACT, M2, iiNet, Optus, Primus
- 1. Synopsis
- 2. Market Analysis
- 3. National Broadband Network (NBN)
- 4. Fixed Broadband market consolidation
- 5. Fixed Broadband Subscriber Statistics and Forecasts
- 5.1 Total Market statistics
- 5.2 Market share statistics by platform
- 5.3 Market share statistics by Provider
- 5.4 Internet Usage Trends
- 5.5 Household usage Survey - 2018
- 5.6 Fixed broadband subscriber Forecast
- 6. Other Broadband Statistics
- 6.1 Broadband speeds
- 6.2 Broadband traffic
- 7. Australian Business Broadband Market
- 8. DSL infrastructure
- 9. WiFi Market
- 9.1 Introduction
- 9.2 Venue WiFi - Campuses, hotels, public areas
- 9.3 Telstra Air - National WiFi network
- 9.4 Optus
- 9.5 State projects
- 9.6 City and Regional Projects
- 9.7 WiFi in Airlines
- 10. Related reports
- Table 1 Number of ISPs by size in the Australian market 2008 - 2017
- Table 2 Total Broadband Subscribers Fixed vs Wireless 2011 - 2018
- Table 3 Total Broadband Subscribers Fixed vs Wireless, annual growth 2012 - 2018
- Table 4 Total Broadband Subscribers Fixed vs Wireless, market share 2011 - 2018
- Table 5 Historic - Total broadband subscribers and annual change 2000 - 2011
- Table 6 Total Broadband Subscribers by Access Type 2011 - 2018
- Table 7 Total Broadband Subscribers by Access Type, annual growth 2012 - 2018
- Table 8 Total Broadband Subscribers by Access Type, market share 2011 - 2018
- Table 9 Fixed Broadband Subscribers DSL, Cable, Fibre 2011 - 2018
- Table 10 Historic - Broadband market share by technology 2008 - 2015
- Table 11 Fixed Broadband retail subscribers (thousands) by major provider 2010 - 2018
- Table 12 Fixed Broadband retail subscriber annual growth by major provider 2011 - 2018
- Table 13 Fixed Broadband retail subscribers market share by major provider 2014 - 2018
- Table 14 Historic - Total business and residential broadband subscribers
- Table 15 Telstra broadband subscribers by retail / wholesale 2007 2018
- Table 16 Accessing the Internet by Service, Usage Patterns 2013; 2017
- Table 17 Fixed Broadband Subscribers (with Forecast) 2010 - 2023
- Table 18 Subscribers' average broadband speed 2010 - 2017
- Table 19 Average SVoD streaming speed by broadband service provider (Mb/s) 2015 - 2017
- Table 20 Internet subscribers by download speed 2016 - 2018
- Table 21 Historic - Proportion of internet subscribers by download speed 2009 - 2015
- Table 22 Historic - Internet subscribers by download speed 2008 - 2015
- Table 23 Volume of data downloaded (Terrabytes) by access connection - 2013 - 2018
- Table 24 Historic - Terabytes of data downloaded by access technology 2008 - 2016
- Table 25 Historic - Annual change in data downloaded by access technology 2011 - 2016
- Table 26 Historic - Average data downloaded per subscriber (fixed-line and mobile) 2013 - 2016
- Table 27 DSL broadband subscribers 2008 2018
- Chart 1 Total Broadband Subscribers Fixed vs Wireless 2011 - 2018
- Chart 2 Fixed Broadband Subscribers DSL, Cable, Fibre 2011 - 2018
- Chart 3 Accessing the Internet by Service, Usage Patterns 2013; 2017
- Chart 4 Device used to go online 2013; 2017
- Chart 5 Fixed Broadband Subscribers (with Forecast) - 2010 - 2023