The digital economy affects everybody, including existing players such as telcos, banks, media wholesalers, services and retail. All businesses will eventually need to adapt to the new environment as new players enter these markets from different angles.
This report highlights information from surveys that indicate how well businesses are prepared for the digital economy, where they participate, their strengths and weaknesses and the first interesting commercial starting points. It provides statistics in text, tabular and easy-to-read chart formats. This report also contains detailed statistics from e-business activity usage surveys taken over the last few years.
This indicates a strong acknowledgement of business benefit, including productivity gains and positive growth. It highlights a near unanimous view that active digital economy participation is important to future business success, despite a diversity of adoption, planning and sophistication across the business community.
Businesses using social media and websites to have an online presence, more businesses are preparing to enter the online world as revenue increases include other streams.
- 1. Synopsis
- 2. Market statistics and surveys
- 2.1 Digital economy business internet income
- 2.2 Digital marketing spend
- 2.3 Business participation in the digital economy
- 2.4 Large numbers of Australian businesses will still not be online in 2013
- 2.5 Sensis e-Business Report 2012
- 2.5.1 Introduction
- 2.5.2 Businesses using the internet for purchasing
- 2.5.3 Businesses using the internet to sell locally and globally
- 2.5.4 Businesses online with websites
- 2.5.5 Insights on gaining a new customer base
- 2.5.6 Mobile internet access
- 2.6 Social networking use by SMEs
- 3. Business participation on the NBN - survey
- 3.1 Broadband a key digital driver
- 3.2 Broadband boost
- 3.3 Network driver
- 3.4 Utility features
- 4. Smart Farming
- 5. The mining sector
- 6. SmartICT
- 7. Related reports
- Table 1 Business internet income and annual change 2002; 2007 - 2012
- Table 2 Spend above 25% of marketing budget in Australia versus selected Asian countries 2012
- Table 3 Digital marketing adoption in Australia versus selected Asian countries 2012
- Table 4 Methods of measuring digital media success in Australia 2012
- Table 5 Top 5 uses of the internet by businesses 2008 - 2012
- Table 6 The top 5 categories purchased by businesses using the internet 2009 - 2012
- Table 7 Snapshot of business indicator returns by selling on the internet 2009 - 2012
- Table 8 Selling over the internet by industry sector 2012
- Table 9 Businesses with and the effectiveness of websites 2009 - 2012
- Table 10 Top 5 uses of mobile internet 2009 - 2012
- Table 11 Social networking use by businesses 2010 - 2012
- Table 12 What does a better broadband service look like?
- Table 13 Will better broadband increase your digital economy participation?
- Table 14 What do you value in a broadband service?
- Chart 1 Overview of business internet income and annual change 2007 - 2012
- Chart 2 Overview of the top five uses of the internet by businesses 2008 - 2012
- Chart 3 Overview of the top 5 categories purchased by businesses using the internet 2009 - 2012
- Chart 4 Overview of business indicator returns by selling on the internet 2008 - 2012
- Chart 5 Overview of percentages of businesses online 2008 - 2012
- Chart 6 Overview of the trends of the top five uses of mobile internet 2009 - 2012