IBM Global Business Services – IoT Services
Who Is This Vendor Assessment For?
NelsonHall’s IoT Services Vendor Assessment for IBM Global Business Services (GBS) is a comprehensive assessment of GBS’ IoT service offerings and capabilities designed for:
- Sourcing managers monitoring the capabilities of existing suppliers of IT services and identifying vendor suitability for IoT services
- Vendor marketing, sales and business managers looking to benchmark themselves against their peers
- Financial analysts and investors specializing in the IoT sector.
Key Findings & Highlights
GBS contains IBM’s Watson IoT Consulting & Industry 4.0 practice (“Watson IoT Consulting”), which groups capabilities around cognitive, analytics, and IoT services. GBS Watson IoT Consulting is a horizontal practice: it has its own P&L and delivery organization. It is a high growth unit within GBS.
The name Watson IoT Services is slightly misleading: while the practice is indeed centered around IBM Software’s Watson IoT unit, it also has its own portfolio services, IoT applications, and accelerators.
Watson IoT Consulting has amended its IoT strategy and offering somewhat in 2017: it has strengthened its collaboration with IBM Software’s Watson teams around IoT and cognitive. Both Watson IoT Consulting and IBM Software’s Watson IoT have aligned their sales activities, and are building IP based on Watson IoT.
An important part of this joint IP creation is around vertical use cases/software products, with eight initial use cases under development.
This internal partnership is a significant change for GBS IoT which, in the past, took a project-led approach to IP creation.
Scope of the Report
The report provides a comprehensive and objective analysis of GBS’ IoT service offerings, capabilities, and market and financial strength, including:
- Analysis of the company’s offerings and key service components, accelerators, and “platforms”
- Revenue estimates
- Identification of the company’s strategy, emphasis and new developments
- Analysis of the profile of the company’s customer base including the company’s targeting strategy
- Analysis of the company’s strengths, weaknesses and outlook.