2020 USA/Global Whole Cannabis/Whole Health Phase 2 Industry and Market Analysis Overview Report
This report is part of a 3 multi-phase methodology:
Phase 1: Consumer Qualitative: 9 discussion groups
Phase 2: Industry and Market Analysis:
5-year review of cannabis-related in-market activity
Phase 3: Quantitative Testing
Validate qualitative learning:
Online study of 5,000 General Population consumers
Interest levels for key categories, identify prime targets, drivers, etc.
Inclusion of NMI Proprietary Consumer Segmentation
This report includes analysis from Phase 2"
- General Global Overview
- Current market sizing is large, yet wide variations exist:
- The cannabis market is rapidly growing and expected to show further significant growth in coming years. The challenge is no one can accurately quantify it and it is difficult to get the experts to agree on the figures. The only consensus is that it will continue to grow substantially.
- There are many factors which add to the inconsistencies in sizing the market
- What’s included in the figures?
- And there are multiple factors, that if change, can have significant impact on the market growth…
- US total CBD product sales by 2022
- Projections for US total CBD sales by channel – marijuana, hemp and pharmaceuticals
- US dispensary channel CBD branded product sales by category
- Total global forecast of legal cannabis market in 2024
- Total global forecast of medicinal cannabis market in 2024
- Global medical marijuana market set to take off
- Global forecast of legal recreational cannabis market in 2024
- US past 5 year Google searches on CBD, both News and Shopping searches trending
- US past 5 year Google News searches comparing CBD and marijuana
- US past 5 year Google News searches comparing CBD, hemp and marijuana
- Black Friday and Green Wednesday: shoppers take advantage of cannabis sales
- How changing legalization laws and offering greater access will greatly impact the U.S. market
- Legalization issues: still a lot to learn
- The FDA understands regulations are necessary and is working in that direction
- The Farm Bill has brought immense changes to the industry
- The Impact of the MORE Act: breaking down barriers
- Perspective on public health and market changes as a result of legalization
- Concerns of marijuana use among the young to older consumers… what are the implications?
- The agricultural benefits of hemp are numerous
- Product Analysis – US Market
- Market & Product Analysis – Methodology
- A comprehensive overview of this state of the industry & future trends.
- NMI conducted a 5-year review of product introductions both in the US and globally of products which included cannabis, cannabidiol (CBD) or hemp. (Including THC and marijuana did not increase the number of offerings.)
- Analysis was conducted both in Total and by Food & Beverage and Personal Care categories.
- Certain analysis utilized Mintel’s Global New Products Database (GNPD) which tracks consumer packaged goods launches in 86 markets.
- NOTE: GNPD does not report products with a retail price >$25USD, so market projections will be provided.
- CBD is an emerging but enigmatic market
- Assessing market size by product category is also a challenge. There are such wide variations on pricing as an ounce of CBD oil might cost anywhere from $30 to more than $200. Many factors play into cost such as size, strength, type of product, quality, testing methods, marketing costs, among other variables.
- The market analysis includes details on new product introductions over the past 5 years, but is limited to offerings ~$25 or less offering keen insights into the breadth and depth of consumer offerings in this growing market.
- Top 5 US CBD brands
- Total US introductions in past 5 years across all categories
- Total US introductions in past 5 years by claims
- Total US introductions in past 5 years by ingredient
- Total US introductions in past 5 years by brand
- Product Analysis – Global Market
- Total Global introductions in past 5 years across all categories
- Total Global introductions in past 5 years by category
- Total Global introductions in past 5 years by claims
- Total Global introductions in past 5 years by ingredient
- Total Global introductions in past 5 years by country
- US Product Analysis – Food and Beverage Industry
- Total US introductions in past 5 years of Food & Beverage categories
- Total US Food & Beverage introductions in past 5 years by category
- Total US Food & Beverage introductions in past 5 years by claims
- Total US Food & Beverage introductions in past 5 years by ingredient
- Examples of food and beverage introductions
- New products with THC for retail sale
- US Product Analysis – Personal Care Industry
- Total US introductions in past 5 years of Personal Care categories
- Total US Personal Care introductions in past 5 years by category
- Total US Personal Care introductions in past 5 years by claims
- Total US Personal Care introductions in past 5 years by ingredient
- Total US Personal Care introductions in past 5 years by brand
- Examples of introductions in past 5 years by brand