Gluten Free 2015
NMI KNOWS Gluten Free CONSUMERS... The Industry’s most comprehensive report on the gluten-free food/beverage marketplace!
- Do you know that nearly half of the general population have used gluten-free foods/beverages in the past year; usage is now higher than ever!
- What categories had the highest gluten-free launches over the past 15 years (January 1999 to October 2014)?
- How do you retain your consumers when a solid portion of Gluten-Free Users are classified as ‘Gluten-Avoiders,’ they’re avoiding, but not eliminating gluten?
- Who are your REAL consumer targets for gluten-free?
Minimize the expensive guesswork - Maximize your time and ROI with Trends, Insights, and strategies for optimizing your brand opportunities in 2015
- Validate your ideas, USP, product intro’s, and more
- Customize your trade and consumer advertising campaign positioning and messaging
- Enhance your Marketing Campaign and trade presentations with valuable insights
- Empower your organization, impress your customers
Gluten-Free 2015 is a groundbreaking study that seeks to uncover and quantify the attributes and benefits that would provide longevity to this market sector.
Despite only a small percentage of the population having Celiac Disease or gluten intolerance, going “gluten-free” has become all the rage. Within NMI’s Health and Wellness Trends Database®, a significant increase in household penetration of gluten-free products has been observed. Not only is this among consumers who have medical need, but the largest portion of users is among consumers who are early adopting leaders in the healthy foods market, the WELL BEINGS®, as well as a group referred to as FENCE SITTERS®, the healthy ‘Wannabees.’
The intent of this report is to provide a solid overview of where the gluten-free food/beverage marketplace stands, while investigating how to increase household penetration of Gluten Free products by:
1. Understanding motivations beyond Celiac and Gluten Intolerance
2. Uncovering new product opportunities across categories
3. Understanding who’s buying what gluten-free categories
4. Determining attitudes and needs that will foster longevity
3-Phase Project Methodology
Each phase included overlay of NMI’s health and wellness segmentation model – Now with 16 years of annual tracking, 93% predictive accuracy, and overlay into all Nielsen products for additional insight.
Phase 1: NMI Database and Health & Wellness Segment Insights—Over 7,000 Interviews!
- Target consumer profiling as well as attitudinal and behavioral metrics gleaned from NMI’s Health and Wellness Trends Data (HWTD) (n=3000+) and NMI’s Lifestyles of Health and Sustainability (LOHAS) database (n=4000+).
Phase 2: Nielsen HomeScan Health and Wellness Segment Insight – 50,000 households!
- NMI’s Health and Wellness Segments overlaid with Nielsen HomeScan data provide segment contribution to volume and frequency across gluten-free categories, identification of opportunistic categories and need states within the gluten-free food/beverage market.
- Overviews on over 25 categories are provided herein
Phase 3: Attitude and Usage Study that analyzed the following groups:
- 1,004 Gluten-Free Users, balanced on key demographics: age, gender, race and income
- 223 Non-Gluten-Free Users (never used)
- 97 Lapsed Gluten-Free Users (used, but not in past year)
- Other key groups analyzed: Celiac/intolerant; heavy vs. light GF users; health issues and medical conditions
- Uncovers motivations to use – medical vs prevention vs weight loss and other; occasions, HH need states, benefits sought, brand attributes and loyalty, sources of information and more